Need new power supply?

johnstexas

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2002
Most of the components were Free after Rebate or very cheap at Fry's Grand Opening sale (Modem only purchased at Office Max, free after rebate):

Linkworld Case 300 W
ECS K7S5A Pro
AMD Athlon XP 2000+
Copper Cooler
Mushkin 256 MB DDR 2100
Maxtor 40 GB
Kaser AGP
Norcent 16x DVD-ROM
Pine CD-RW
CenDyne v.92 modem for Windows
Inland Firewire

Was disappointed to find case was only 300 W (but what more can you ask for for free?). Figured it could be trouble with two optical drives.

System POSTs and recognizes HD (obviously no OS) but not the secondary master (DVD) or secondary slave (CD-RW). Adjusted the BIOS to set both for OPTICAL and also tried at one point unplugging all but the DVD. Neither worked.

Would getting a bigger PS likely help? How big?

John Seeliger Limited but increasing content
jseelige@yahoo.com <http://www.freewebz.com/hudathunkett/>
jseelige@aaahawk.com

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
That stuff flashes by rather quickly. Are you sure it doesn't show?

Have you carefully checked and adjusted the jumpers on the hard drive, DVD and CDROM to "master" or "slave" appropriately? I have seen machines get confused if they are not all properly set.

Doubt very much that at this point your problems are related to the power supply.

Good luck

The loving are the daring!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Flinx on 08/27/03 07:11 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Are you sure the drives are set by jumper on the back to Master and Slave? ARe you sure the cable is on the right way? If you've ruled those out, you might have a bad cable. Also, you could try the drives one at a time to see if both work.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

johnstexas

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2002
Thanks for the advice. The master and slave were set properly. When I opened it up, I noticed pin 1 on the cable connector next to the optical drives were oppoiste from the HD, so I reversed it (after moving the drives down a bay, as the cable wouldn't reach them both when plugged in properly, in the bays they were in).

It appears to be working now.

John Seeliger Limited but increasing content
jseelige@yahoo.com <http://www.freewebz.com/hudathunkett/>
jseelige@aaahawk.com

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Funny thing about IDE cables, they still work if both ends are backwards, because they're a straight through cable. I used to do that to make certain cables reach.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>