Firewire sound device?!?

Last response: in Home Audio
August 11, 2005 12:41:31 PM

Need to buy good soundcard, but need ideas where to go.

:::

M-Audio Firewire 410
ESI QuataFire 610
something else?

M-Audio is older product, but seems to be nice bridge to ProTools
(buying probably later, not yet anyway).

ESI looks better, has more inputs etc. but lacks support for ProTools

Current soundcard is Emagic EMI 2/6 so dont really want USB1.1 or even
USB2.0 (horror stories of Behringer wont help)

What alternatives do I have? How is drivers for these Firewire based
soundcards?

Or should I just get basic half a price PCI soundcard for desktop and
stick with EMI 2/6 while laptopping?

thanks in advance...

More about : firewire sound device

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 4:45:43 PM

hyeena@gmail.com wrote:

> What alternatives do I have?

RME Fireface 800 and Metric Halo Mobile I/O series.

> How is drivers for these Firewire based soundcards?

RME drivers are stellar.
<http://rme-audio.com/english/techinfo/fwaudio_rme.htm&g...; will explain
some of their architecture.

No experience with the others.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 6:51:29 PM

Well - I do love RME devices but price tag is too much.

.... Probably getting decent Firewire device and low cost 2ch PCI card
as extra device
August 11, 2005 6:51:31 PM

Well - I do love RME devices but price tag is too much.

.... Probably getting decent Firewire device and low cost 2ch PCI card
as extra device
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 10:22:35 PM

When you notice difference between M-Audio class Firewire device and
PCI device? Lets say M-Audio Delta 410 PCI and M-Audio Firewire 410.

Does Firewire 410 support samplerate change without restarting programs
etc.?

If PCI does provide more rugged, performance wise and smoother
operation, I will get that and something less fancy for portable use
(probably Echo Indigo or M-Audio Firewire Audiophile or similar). I
might even stick with my EMI 2/6 USB1.1 for portable if needed.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 11:32:22 PM

hyeena@gmail.com writes:

> Need to buy good soundcard, but need ideas where to go.
>
> :::
>
> M-Audio Firewire 410
> ESI QuataFire 610
> something else?
>
> M-Audio is older product, but seems to be nice bridge to ProTools
> (buying probably later, not yet anyway).
>
> ESI looks better, has more inputs etc. but lacks support for ProTools
>
> Current soundcard is Emagic EMI 2/6 so dont really want USB1.1 or even
> USB2.0 (horror stories of Behringer wont help)
>
> What alternatives do I have? How is drivers for these Firewire based
> soundcards?
>
> Or should I just get basic half a price PCI soundcard for desktop and
> stick with EMI 2/6 while laptopping?
>
> thanks in advance...

I'm using a Presonus Firepod (8 mic/line inputs + 2 spdif inputs). The
Firebox is smaller (2 mic/line, at least 2 more line inputs + spdif). The
quality is pretty good. At least it is better than the Edirol UA5 I was using
before. Both the converters and pres are a bit better. Probably not as good
as the RME or anything though.

Richard
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 10:25:42 AM

<hyeena@gmail.com> wrote in message

> When you notice difference between M-Audio class Firewire
> device and PCI device? Lets say M-Audio Delta 410 PCI and
> M-Audio Firewire 410.

> Does Firewire 410 support samplerate change without
> restarting programs etc.?

I don't know why not.

> If PCI does provide more rugged, performance wise and
> smoother operation, I will get that and something less
> fancy for portable use (probably Echo Indigo or M-Audio
> Firewire Audiophile or similar). I might even stick with
> my EMI 2/6 USB1.1 for portable if needed.

In the end, PCI's undeniable advantage is: far cheaper for a
given level of performance given that you fit the whole card
inside the PC. Case in point is the Delta 410LT - $230
street price for 8 analog ins and outs.
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 3:43:28 PM

For the same price that FW 410 does cost I could get M-Audio Delta 410
+ M-Audio Firewire Audiophile. All features needed and 2 different
cards.

Now Does Firewire Audiophile have same performance that Firewire 410??

Is there any Firewire or PCMCIA based soundcard that does support
+4dBU Balanced inputs (to use with Sound Devices Mixpre).

thanks...
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 10:30:29 AM

Kurt Albershardt wrote:
> RME Fireface 800 and Metric Halo Mobile I/O series.
>
> RME drivers are stellar.
> <http://rme-audio.com/english/techinfo/fwaudio_rme.htm&g...; will explain
> some of their architecture.
>
> No experience with the others.

I'll second Kurt on the Metric Halo Mobile I/O interfaces. The
converters alone are worth the price of admission, the +DSP version
have built in plug ins and a software patchbay, and they have an
control panel with built in direct recording for multiple boxes in Beta
testing right now that is in the process of using a Mackie control for
direct control and recording (without logic, DP, Cubase, Nuendo or
anything else.)

Although I mainly use them with Nuendo.

And the Tascam DM24 with a firewire card is a nice little digital
mixer with automation, which will give you 24 channels in and out with
your software of choice in OS 10.3.5 or later.

Will Miho
NY Music and TV Audio Guy
August 16, 2005 11:15:18 AM

WillStG wrote:
> Kurt Albershardt wrote:
> > RME Fireface 800 and Metric Halo Mobile I/O series.
> >
> > RME drivers are stellar.
> > <http://rme-audio.com/english/techinfo/fwaudio_rme.htm&g...; will explain
> > some of their architecture.
> >
> > No experience with the others.
>
> I'll second Kurt on the Metric Halo Mobile I/O interfaces. The
> converters alone are worth the price of admission, the +DSP version
> have built in plug ins and a software patchbay, and they have an
> control panel with built in direct recording for multiple boxes in Beta
> testing right now that is in the process of using a Mackie control for
> direct control and recording (without logic, DP, Cubase, Nuendo or
> anything else.)
>
> Although I mainly use them with Nuendo.
>
> And the Tascam DM24 with a firewire card is a nice little digital
> mixer with automation, which will give you 24 channels in and out with
> your software of choice in OS 10.3.5 or later.
>
> Will Miho
> NY Music and TV Audio Guy
> "The large print giveth and the small print taketh away..." Tom Waits

Ok, my above post didn't look like that when I sent it! Sometimes
when I edit a post it ends up posting with lines I had edited out still
there. Weird. Maybe I should preview before posting.

Will
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 12:43:14 PM

On or about 12 Aug 2005 11:43:28 -0700, hyeena@gmail.com allegedly wrote:

> For the same price that FW 410 does cost I could get M-Audio Delta 410
> + M-Audio Firewire Audiophile. All features needed and 2 different
> cards.
>
> Now Does Firewire Audiophile have same performance that Firewire 410??
>
> Is there any Firewire or PCMCIA based soundcard that does support
> +4dBU Balanced inputs (to use with Sound Devices Mixpre).
>
> thanks...

We've used the Digigram VXPocket with the Mixpre, though I haven't
personally used that combination for serious work. I've used the USBpre a
fair bit.

Noel Bachelor noelbachelorAT(From:_domain)
Language Recordings Inc (Darwin Australia)
!