Win 7 vs. Vista

Tbyrde1

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Hello,
I just got my win 7 upgrade disk in the mail came with the laptop.
but I've been running
vista with no real problems and was temted to leave wee enough alone-What do you think?
Regards,
Tbyrde

Tbyrde1

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Hello,
I just got my win 7 upgrade disk in the mail came with the laptop.
but I've been running
vista with no real problems and was temted to leave wee enough alone-What do you think?
Regards,
Tbyrde

I'll take the other path with a caveat, if you are used to installing your own operating systems, and if you can live without the oem software that was included on your laptop then I think there are features that would give a better experience. That is just my personal opinion; I enjoy 7 alot more than vista.

Installing an OS on a lappy is not as easy as a desktop typically. It shouldn't be a pb with an upgrade install though.

fjiekie

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
I say: go to windows 7, its better, thats it...

but if you dont want to go through the trouble of upgrading it and you're happy with vista... you can keep vista.

i still recommend upgrading, it's easier to work with, prettier, safer, faster...

G

Win 7 FTW.....

Go on upgrade, you wont regret it..

Love vista, used it for two years as main system, but 7 is far better, my customers love it as well and I have far fewer calls for support ( Although most of my calls are PEBKAC)

Really, Win 7 is better for sure.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
My laptop at home has Vista and my desktop Windows 7. Granted... the desktop is slightly more modern, but Windows 7 has truly made me hate Vista (I didn't hate it before) Assuming you're reasonably comfortable with computers, a Windows 7 upgrade should be doable for you. Just back up your files first and cross your fingers... if the upgrade fails be prepared to do a clean install of Windows 7. If it were me, I'd want a clean OS laid down instead of an upgrade ANY day.

isamuelson

Distinguished
Windows 7 all the way. If your current system is running Vista pretty well, then it will run Windows 7 as good as, if not better than Vista.

So much has been improved, including the task bar and various other features within the UI. But, performance isn't worse than Vista. For me, it was actually better than Vista, including boot up and log in time.

Also, UAC has really been toned down as far as notifications. Plus, you can tailor it to your preferences, but at least the default mode is less intrusive than it was in Vista.

I say, bite the bullet and go with Windows 7. It is so much better. :hello:

I really don't find a lot of difference in performance between the two. I like Windows 7, but the hype that it was going to be so much faster than Vista just didn't pan out... at least not IMO. Boot times are about the same as Vista for me and so is application performance. Perhaps my systems aren't underpowered enough for me to notice a big difference.

4745454b

Titan
I'm a bit surprised by all this. What does Win7 add over vista for a laptop? He can't use the dual display driver as his laptop only has the one, and assuming he doesn't have an SSD in that thing he can't use TRIM anyways. I don't know if the battery comment is true, but there seems to me to be little use upgrading to win7. Is the interface that much better?

Win7 gives noticeably more battery life than Vista.

4745454b

Titan
I would think that to Zoron. First, these are built on the same platform so difference between them should be small. Second, I would think with the extra eye candy that win7 has that the GPU would draw more power to display them. Anyone have any benchies to prove one way or another?

lucuis

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
I found Win7 to remain snappier overall much better then Vista. After about 6 months on Vista 64 with periodic cleanings of processes, temp files, etc. I keep my computer as clean as possible, perhaps even to the point of OCD. But despite all that i started to get the 'this program has stopped responding' more and more frequently. Mainly when opening folders with lots of thumbnails.

So far none of this has happened with Win7, boot times are measurably quicker. With Vista i struggled to keep it a little over a min. With win7 it's not too hard to get it under a min. Processes are nicer too, i'm running 50 processes now with a whole crap load of stuff open. Vista would push 60ish in the same situation.

Although much similar, Win7>Vista. Any power user will notice the difference after using win7 for a while...then not want to go back to Vista.

Since its a FREE upgrade, i would do it.

To be honest, i do not notice a big difference from Vista to win7. Well there are some minor bug fixes(Volume Mixer anyone?) and UI changes(ones i changed back anyway, i prefer to see titles and have quick launch)

My current list of processes is at 54 on 7, but i do not have everything running. I know I could get vista into the 70's , but it was never a issue for modern computers with plenty of memory and a decent cpu.

Tbyrde1

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
all good answers,
Thankyou sounds like seven the winner!
But what is interesting is I try to lock up the computer, surf open
12 boxes still never a probem! Perhabs they worked on bugs and then they through it out! I do use dual extended monitors too, no proplemo.
Kind of like XP.
Thankyou Every One