Your question

SB card vs. SoundStorm?

Tags:
  • Sound Cards
  • Components
Last response: in Components
August 28, 2003 6:31:19 PM

Hi all,

I upgraded my mobo a while ago and transfered my SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 Digital PCI sound card.

My new mobo was an Asus A7N8X Deluxe with Nvidia SoundStorm integrated 5.1 Digital.

I want to know which chip is better and whether i should free up a slot and remove the SoundBlaster.

Like the SoundBlaster, the onboard sound has a full 5.1 + mic and line-in connector set.

Any comments appriciated.

More about : card soundstorm

August 28, 2003 9:55:33 PM

Soundstorm has better audio quality than SB Live and uses less of the CPU.

<b><font color=blue>Oh, I can shed light on that ...</font color=blue></b>
August 29, 2003 12:33:51 AM

The soundblaster has to go.
Related resources
August 29, 2003 4:21:56 PM

Actually if you are not short in PCI slot and not facing any driver conflict problem (which shouldn't happen) you can keep the SB Live! and using the nforce APU at the same time. But technically nForce APU sounds better than Audigy, let alone SB Live!

Me fail English? That's Unpossible!
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>
August 29, 2003 9:47:10 PM

Of course, that SB is ancient compared to the nforce audio.

Athlon 1700+, Epox 8RDA (NForce2), Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 80GB 8MB cache, 2x256mb Crucial PC2100 in Dual DDR, Geforce 3, Audigy, Z560s, MX500
August 29, 2003 9:56:07 PM

The SB card is the latest version of the SoundBlaster Live!

It has served me well and is still a high quality product, even though it is cheap.

I won't use the onboard sound long as I intend to get a Audigy 2ZS Player when it arrives.

This is basically an updated Audigy 2 with 7.1 support, 120db SNR (previously 106db SNR)DTS ES decoding capability and ASIO 2 driver support. Should be a good one.

My system: http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=128079

"Obesity - what a joke, cut back on the pies you fat b******."
August 30, 2003 4:56:18 AM

I went from my old Aureal SQ2500 to an SB Live Platinum 5.1, and was totally disatisfied. I don't know how you define high quality, but if you really think ANY SB Live! card sounds good, you don't have a discerning ear!

Well, the nForce APU is better than the EMU10k1, but some motherboards use cheap codecs for outputting the analog siganl. You can of course bypass these by using the digital output to digital speakers, which is what I recommend.

The main reason you see some people claiming the nForce APU superior and others the reverse is, IMO, that those who believe it superior are using digital speakers, and those who don't are using analog speakers through those cheap codecs.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
September 7, 2003 3:22:53 AM

Hey, Crashman....

I have the same doubt originally posted.

I use a Live! card with Audigy2 drivers (sound gets much better this way).
I bought a Shuttle MN31N which should arrive tomorrow and features nForce2 MCP-T. I can't use digital output. You mentioned the quality of codecs and I was wondering if you know whether the Realtek ALC650E is a good one.
September 7, 2003 6:10:02 AM

I think it's considered to be the best the manufacturer can get for their $3. Anyway, it's supposed to be a good codec, not a great codec, and from my experience with the Live it's probably comparable in quality (and it HAS to have better drivers!).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
September 13, 2003 7:27:21 AM

you cant go wrong with a $60 audigy2
then you have none of those codec issues and you know your getting the best audio output available for gamin'

Athlon 1700+, Epox 8RDA (NForce2), Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 80GB 8MB cache, 2x256mb Crucial PC2100 in Dual DDR, Radeon 9800NP, Audigy, Z560s, MX500
!