OliverNo1_1

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
Please dont flame me for this!

Is it possible to boot from a single SATA drive-or do they have to be in Raid Array etc.

Cheers In Advance.

lunitic

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2003
Yes, it is possible to boot from a SATA device, it doesn't need to be in a RAID. It is also possible to boot from a SATA device if it is in a RAID. There isn't any real difference (as far as I know) between SATA and ordinary ATA drives. You do need to install the SATA device drivers in Windows, usually the controller is supplied with such drivers on a floppy disk.

OliverNo1_1

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
Cheers for that:-

One last question-if im doing a fresh install i wont be able to install the drivers until i get into Windows-will this mean i am unable to do a fresh windows install on a single Sata drive?

lunitic

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2003
If you start a fresh setup, at the beginning the setup program tells you to press F6 to install RAID and SCSI devices. Press F6 and follow the instuctions - have the floppy with the device drivers ready. Preferably download the latest version of the drivers beforehand.

I've just been through this exact process - post any problems and I'll help where I can.

I installed a 120GB S-ATA drive, which is now the only drive on my system. It boots fine, and I was able to enjoy kicking the crap out of my old 13GB IBM Deathstar.

:eek: My CPU runs so hot it creates a quark-gluon plasma :eek:

dahoovie

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009

I'm in the same spot. I have an older desktop, so I had to install a PCI SATA card to install my new SATA drive. It sees the drive easily, and I've formatted it w/ no trouble. However, I'd like to make it my primary bootable drive, and remove my other IDE drives. I can't seem to find out how to make it bootable. I even attempted to install Windows on it as th first step and it doesn't give me that option. HELP!