Need help please! c:\windows\system32\

the dukey

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
Ever since i got my computer, which i put together myself. i get constant bad image errors relating to direct x, and it stops me from playing games. like it happened with civ 5, morrowind overhaul, arma 2, and bastion says it is not responding when i try to play it (and i looked into it and it has to do with microsoftNET frame work or something) . and i have tried everything. re installing direct x, deleting the corrupted file specified in the bad image error and then re installing. please i really need help. i keep getting worried when i buy a new game if it will even work.

the dukey

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012

gigabyte ga-970a-ud3 motherboard
sapphire flex radeon hd 6870
amd fx-4100 zambezi 3.6 ghz quad core
kingston hyperx 8gb ram
western digital blue 500 gb 7200 rpm hard drive
microsoft windows 7 home 64 bit

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006

There are two things I'd suggest doing, and really it's take your pick as to preference.

First, (my choice) backup all your important data and reformat your hard drive then proceed to reinstall windows 7. Everything should be fixed at that point; if not you have a hardware issue.

Second, use one of the System Recovery Options within Windows 7 (usually best option for end-users).

Microsoft.com is your best bet for tutorials and I would suggest starting here with the creation of a "system repair disc": http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Create-a-system-repair-disc

After you have that down, go to the next link I've provided and click on "To open the System Recovery Options menu using the Windows 7 installation disc or a USB flash drive, or a system repair disc"
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7

If you correctly follow the steps that Microsoft outlines then you should end up successfully repairing your Windows installation.

the dukey

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1649-clean-install-windows-7-a.html
this would be your first choice correct? because it doesnt really say anything about reformatting the hd, just a clean install of windows.

flank21

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007

windows setup will format the drive during a clean install

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006

Yes. Like flank said doing a custom install will automatically format the drive before installation of the OS. I always go into the drive options (advanced) and manually delete the old disk image then choose to partition (format) the drive, just to make sure the old disk image is completely gone.

Just make sure to follow the guide on the sevenforums that you linked and you should be good. Again, make sure to back up your data beforehand or it will be gone forever.

Yes. So long as he chooses the "custom" option when installing instead of the "upgrade" option.

flank21

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007

you are absolutely correct, forgot that the option to upgrade may also be offered.

the dukey

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012

thank you. now i will get around to it sometime this weekend. because i dont have time after work. but if this fails and i still get the errors. what piece of hardware would be causing this? my motherboard, graphics card, cpu, or hd? or could just my windows 7 disc be corrupt?