Dead Laptop

Pata

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2001
Boy do I have a problem!
I have an Acer Extensa 367T with 80 MB RAM and a Pentium 200. I can get to windows millennium when I turn on the computer, and run Word and play games, but when I try to explore the computer, I am halted by some sort of message that says I am missing some files for windows explorer.
They are FTAPP.DLL, INTERNAT.EXE and MMTASK.TSK
Do you know what is going on?
This is what I tried: I can't put in the Software Recovery & Diagnostic CD as the laptop doesn't recognise the CD ROM Drive. The Priveous owner lost the external Floppy drive, so I bought a new one, but it needs the driver and wont let me use the floppy or D: drive. What do I do?
Paperweight?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Pata on 04/05/03 09:22 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
I think you need to format the hard drive and reinstall windows. Restart the machine and from the bios make sure the cdrom is enabled and set it to boot from it. Then put a bootable cd into the drive (windows 98 is bootable, I dont remember if ME is) and it should recognize it and let you install it.

Treat your body like a $600 car. God didn't intend it to last so use it. Run it into the ground!

Pata

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2001
Well, I have given up on it as I can't boot from the BIOS and the CDROM is not recognized. I believe the the CD ROM is either dead or the IDE cable is slightly ajar. Whatever the reason, I just don't want to open a laptop as I have had no experience in doing that. I was told that if you don't know how to... Don't! There are sneeky little clips and screws that you could break while opening it.
So Thanks for the responses and I'll write when I have a new problem.