Windows 7 pre order questions

50bmg

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
is this pre order promo for upgrades only? I have xp 32 and want to go to 7 64. Is this pre order for upgrades? i cant find this info anywhere on any of the win 7 sites.

JessieJ

Distinguished
May 20, 2009

So far - yes - it looks like currently for upgrades only. Amazon has em right now.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=windows+7+

eaclou

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
So i just called microsoft. The person I spoke to didn't seem to know her stuff, so i'll probably call again tonight to confirm her answers with a different rep.

Anyway, she stated that:

1. If you have Windows XP x32, you CAN upgrade to Windows 7 x64 bit. (The box comes with both x32 and x64.
2. You CANNOT install the upgrade version of Windows 7 on a blank HDD, you must have XP installed. (I've read posters claiming otherwise?)
3. Any copy of Windows is fine, OEM or Retail.

I really don't know what/who to believe on these issues.

One other poster who called Microsoft said the Rep said that Vista x32 can ONLY upgrade to Windows 7 x32, it seems like the two Reps are almost contradicting each other... wth?

There is NO upgrade path from 32-bit to 64-bit, that is what they are referring to. You have to perform a clean installation with the upgrade media. If you leave your existing 32-bit OS on the drive, the install process will back up some of your files... but the OS itself will be removed.

abc_1

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
pre ordel is only for non oem computersHP, Lenovo, DELL and Sony Windows 7 Upgrade program
Upgrade windows 7 program is no good, when you buy a new computer from HP, Lenovo, DELL and Sony, you will get quick recovery copy, for example: if you replaced the hard drive to new or you have a super virus or more, you can put the recovery media in DVD drive restart the computer, after up to 30 minutes you have a new system and all drivers include service programs is installed, fast and easy, but if you have an Upgrade of windows 7 and you replaced the hard drive to new or you have a super virus or more, you start with recovery of windows vista up to 30 minutes then you continue to windows 7 Upgrade up to 60 minutes (Upgrade needed a lot of time), then you needed to install new drivers (only if you have a problem), how needs it had pain, all computers have needs to reinstall the windows at least of minimum one time in a year for maximum preferment (depend of computer work burden), so fest recovery it is up to 30 minutes and Upgrade recovery it is up to 90, and you cannot go to drink a café you must replace the DVD and more, windows back up is not good because it is work whit windows original DVD only not the recovery DVD, so the best thing to do is do not buy a new computer or windows vista (windows vista is true garbage ) and wait to 22 of October, or if Microsoft is to consider to release the windows 7 only on OEM computers like HP, Lenovo, DELL and Sony for little early like on 22 of September, so do it please because no vista and no Upgrade for work it, your old computer yes can hold one or two months more, if not go for XP or Linux for two months .

TrishaE

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
I had a HP laptop with Windows Media Center on a DVD. I spilled a glass of milk into the keyboard and believe it or not the computer still worked, but only with a mouse because my keys on the keyboard were literally glued together. I took it back to Buy Best until full warranty and they sent it to HP who trashed it and sent me a replacement for any other Best Buy computer at the actual cost of the 2 1/2 old laptop. It came with XP Home and when I tried to install the Media Center from the DVD it wouldn't take the license code. I called and HP and learned the code with tyed to the bios of the old laptop and they couldn't fix it for me to re-install on my new computer. I was streaming mad as I had to re-buy Media Center, but luckily I found a new box on E-Bay. I won't ever buy a HP upgrade or HP oem version again.

TrishaE

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
Sorry, I meant to say I can always make a good backup after installing all the HP programs to a DVD to restore if I ever have to to a new format or get a big bad virus attack the hard drive.

Reference to pre-order promo. ordered mine today ($50). Did not see an option for 32 Bit vs 64 Bit so hopefully there will be an option to select. I have a feeling that good old microsoft killed the work-around for doing a clean install (without having the old Operating system installed) using the vista oem upgrade version.

I got the "free" upgrade (Xp-pro ->vista business). The disk came with all versions of the 32 bit. The provided key was tied to business. The work-around was to install the "upgrade" with-out a key, then re-install using the key.

abc_1. You reference a 2nd program that is tied to "new" computers purchased after the 25th of Jun. I don't think it will be that much trouble as the "disk" is not supplied by uSoft, but by the Laptop/desktop vender. My laptop (Toshiba) did not come with a repair disk, instead you created one (took 3 DVDs). I am running Win 7 RC on that laptop now, Did not require loading any drivers. The Win 7 disk will probably be tied to the laptop serial number you provide and may, OR may not, require the orginal Operating system be installed.

I also took advantage of this option. NOT sure they will approve it. I purchased the laptop on 16 Jun. That evening I found out about the upgrade coupon. Went back to the store the next day and they indicated not problem, just come back on the 26th. When back to day and they did a "return" and Repurchase. The problem is the coupon is through the laptop vender not Best Buy.

Goober Pyle

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009

That's just plain crazy! You destroyed your original 2.5 year old machine by carelessly spilling milk on it. HP or BB still replaced it for you. You picked the replacement which didn't have media center. And you won't ever buy HP upgrade or OEM again? Great thinking! You screw-up all the way around and then blame someone else.

There are better and less expensive alternatives to Media Center, by the way.