Games run poorly under SP2

ERNIE

I recently installed Windows XP Pro With SP2 on my computer (not an
upgrad/update), and I've found that since then my games haven't been running
anywhere near as smoothly. For instance Baldur's Gate 2; Before I installed
SP2, I could run the game in 1024x768 with 3d Acceleration on, and the game
ran practically seamlessly. Since I installed SP, I've had to turn the 3d
accelleration off to make it playable, and the game is still choppy and laggy
at times. I was playing Colin McRae Rally 04 in 640x480, and the game ran
very nicely with 3d accelleration, but again, it became unplayable once SP2
was installed. What gives? Does MS plan on fixing this? Anyone else ready
to boycott Windows, or at least SP2? I've about had it with these
"Improvements"...

System specs:
AMD T-Bird 1333mhz on Soyo K7VTAPro Mainboard
256mb RAM/40gb HD
64mb GeForce2

service pack 2 comes with a few extra background processes that may be
causing your system to expierence a little lag. try running adaware, first of
all, to make sure you dont have any extraneous ad software running in the
background. If you are still experiencing problems, just post here. i'll
continue to help as long as you have the problem.

ERNIE

Ran ad-aware as soon as I installed SP2 :p. I've also posted on the bioware
site for BG2. Reinstalling the game hasn't helped. I'm wondering if DEP may
be part of the problem, but suprise suprise, you can't turn it off... I've
made sure I've got all the UTD drivers, dx9.0c, etc. I've turned off
practically every new Windows "feature" (I'm really thinking of another "f"
word) I can find... I've tried turning off every non-system process...
Essentially the only factor that has changed is whatever SP2 did to my
computer. I understand my computer isn't a blazing game machine... BG2 is by
no means a new game, tho... Colin McRae 04 is considerably newer, but even
that dosen't play right.

"Anonymous" wrote:

> service pack 2 comes with a few extra background processes that may be
> causing your system to expierence a little lag. try running adaware, first of
> all, to make sure you dont have any extraneous ad software running in the
> background. If you are still experiencing problems, just post here. i'll
> continue to help as long as you have the problem.

Like the first solution said, SP2 does have many
background services and programes. I have some solutions.
First, Click start, Control Panal. Then click on Add or
Remove Programs. Make sure that you do not have any itmes
that you do not want or neccisarilly need. Second, Click
Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk
clean up. Once you get the results, Check the boxes for
only these items: Downloaded Program Files and Temporary
Internet Files. Then click OK. I have more solutions but
I have to know what all you post here first. Please reply
soon and post ALL of your replys. Thanks!

ERNIE

Yeah, I already do most of this on a regular basis.... I don't go a week w/o
dumping the temps and running ad-aware and spybot. I've been thru the
windows components 3 times, everything i don't need/want is long gone, and
I've triple checked my drivers and video settings. Nothing has changed as
far as any of that goes, it's all exactly as it was when I was still using
SP1.

Which of the new additions in SP2 are most likely to affect 3D performance?
Anything processor intensive, certainly... Would something like Data
Execution Protection (DEP) cause a problem like that? I haven't heard
anything about SP2 requiring another stick of RAM to run properly, and there
wasn't a bulletin about certain 3d cards that no longer function properly...
so what gives?

Can't help ya now. Iv'e done all I can. Really sorry.

I have come across major defragmentation when installing games. Maybe a
defrag will help?