stan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless router. I recently purchased a Microsoft
MN-740 Xbox wireless adapter. I am having absolutely no success with it
connecting to Xbox Live. The Xbox wireless connect status screen says:

- Cables connected.
- IP Settings configured. (after a slight delay)
- DNS resolved. (after a slight delay)
- Xbox Live not found. (immediately)

It always fails immediately on the last test, followed by some simple router
configuration suggestions. I upgraded the firmware to 1.0.2.21 Boot:
1.3.0.05, with no change.

Someone suggested disabling UPnP. I was skeptical, but it connected to Xbox
Live right away!

The Microsoft MVP on the .msn.messenger newsgroup mentioned that I should
not have had to turn off UPnP, as the MN-740 supports UPnP. He suggested
that I post a message here.

Any ideas? Someone else mentioned that in order for Linksys to get the Xbox
compatible logo, they had to enable uPnP by default. So why am I having this
problem?

UPnP comes in useful for various Windows XP / MSN Messenger features--Remote
Assistance, File Transfer, etc.--so I'd like to re-enable it.

Firmware upgrade for the Linksys router should resolve this. See the
Linksys release notes...

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

stan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks, but I have the latest available version of the firmware--v2.02.7
(http://www.linksys.com/download/firmware.asp?fwid=201).

"Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Firmware upgrade for the Linksys router should resolve this. See the
> Linksys release notes...
>
> On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 23:12:58 -0400, "Stan" <Stan@PreventSpam> wrote:
>
> >I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless router. I recently purchased a Microsoft
> >MN-740 Xbox wireless adapter. I am having absolutely no success with it
> >connecting to Xbox Live. The Xbox wireless connect status screen says:
> >
> >- Cables connected.
> >- IP Settings configured. (after a slight delay)
> >- DNS resolved. (after a slight delay)
> >- Xbox Live not found. (immediately)
> >
> >It always fails immediately on the last test, followed by some simple
router
> >configuration suggestions. I upgraded the firmware to 1.0.2.21 Boot:
> >1.3.0.05, with no change.
> >
> >Someone suggested disabling UPnP. I was skeptical, but it connected to
Xbox
> >Live right away!
> >
> >The Microsoft MVP on the .msn.messenger newsgroup mentioned that I should
> >not have had to turn off UPnP, as the MN-740 supports UPnP. He suggested
> >that I post a message here.
> >
> >Any ideas? Someone else mentioned that in order for Linksys to get the
Xbox
> >compatible logo, they had to enable uPnP by default. So why am I having
this
> >problem?
> >
> >UPnP comes in useful for various Windows XP / MSN Messenger
features--Remote
> >Assistance, File Transfer, etc.--so I'd like to re-enable it.
> >

> --
> Barb Bowman
> Expert Zone Columnist
> MS-MVP (Windows)

and the release notes state:
Firmware 2.02.7
- Xbox Compatibility certified
- Changed UPnP default to Enable to pass Xbox Compatibility
Certification

Are you sure UPnP is enabled on the router?

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

stan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

When UPnP was enabled, I could not connect to Xbox Live. As soon as I
disabled UPnP, I could connect. What could the problem be?

> and the release notes state:
> Firmware 2.02.7
> - Xbox Compatibility certified
> - Changed UPnP default to Enable to pass Xbox Compatibility
> Certification
>
> Are you sure UPnP is enabled on the router?
>
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 21:58:29 -0400, "Stan" <Stan@PreventSpam> wrote:
>
> >Thanks, but I have the latest available version of the firmware--v2.02.7
> >(http://www.linksys.com/download/firmware.asp?fwid=201).
> >

> >"Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >> Firmware upgrade for the Linksys router should resolve this. See the
> >> Linksys release notes...

Microsoft

> >router

> >Xbox

> >Xbox
> >this

> >features--Remote
> >> >

> >> --
> >> Barb Bowman
> >> Expert Zone Columnist
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >> MS-MVP (Windows)
> >

> --
> Barb Bowman
> Expert Zone Columnist
> MS-MVP (Windows)

Do you have ANY ports forwarded on the router? Other than that, you
need to talk with Linksys support. Or other XBOX users who have the
Linksys router. See
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/connect/linksyswrt54g.htm which states
that 2.02.7 is XBOX compatible.

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

I have the same setup as you, but I got the connection to
work before the 2.02.7 firmware.
I had the WRT54G firewall enabled and could not resolve
the DNS addresses.
Disable the firewall, all connections went through.
Enable the firewall again, and all is good. I think the
WRT54G needs to let the device connect once before it's
firewall thinks it's supposed to block it.

<Stan@PreventSpam> wrote:

recently purchased a
>>Microsoft
absolutely no success with
>>it
connect status screen says:

followed by some simple
firmware to 1.0.2.21 Boot:

skeptical, but it connected to

mentioned that I
>>should
supports UPnP. He
>>suggested

for Linksys to get the
default. So why am I
>>having

Messenger
re-enable it.

>>> --
>>> Barb Bowman
>>> Expert Zone Columnist
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>>> MS-MVP (Windows)
>>

>--
>Barb Bowman
>Expert Zone Columnist
>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>MS-MVP (Windows)
>.

stan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks. As a test, I verified that I could still connect to Xbox Live with
UPnP disabled, then I re-enabled UPnP. So far, I can continue to connect to
Xbox Live. I even cycled the power on my Xbox and was still able to connect.
I suppose the best test would be cycling the MN-740.