Difference between a "good record player" vs a "cheap reco..

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
August 12, 2005 9:10:13 PM

I am in a search for "good" record player, both second-hand and new,
and would like to know what to look for when purchasing one. I'm in no
way wanting to get a top of the line machine but something that would
satisfy all but the most serious of vinyl audiophiles. Tho I know what
to look and ask for when purchasing an open reel tape machine, I'm
pretty clueless when it comes to record players. Actually, all I know
is that a wooden housing is better than plastic ..

Thanks for your reply,

Daniel
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 9:52:29 PM

Assuming this isn't a joke...

The first and last "audiophile" record players were the KLH Model 11 and
Model 11 FM. The former shows up fairly often on eBay; the latter is much
rarer. The sound is "acceptable" to critical listeners.
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 10:44:23 PM

Daniel wrote:
> I am in a search for "good" record player, both second-hand and new,
> and would like to know what to look for when purchasing one. I'm in no
> way wanting to get a top of the line machine but something that would
> satisfy all but the most serious of vinyl audiophiles. Tho I know what
> to look and ask for when purchasing an open reel tape machine, I'm
> pretty clueless when it comes to record players. Actually, all I know
> is that a wooden housing is better than plastic ..
>
> Thanks for your reply,
>
> Daniel

You can search EBAY for a used 'classic' full function, but for causual
listening at home I'd recommend the Sony PSLX250H Turntable. Sounds
just fine and is under 100 bucks. No counterweight but you can put a
weight or some coins on the other side to balance it better.

You can get some user review comments at Amazon
........http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005T3X...

There are a few Audio Technica budget units that aren't bad
either....http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006HO3...

Cheap turntables actually sound better than cheap CD compartively.

VB
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 13, 2005 12:02:04 AM

Thank you very much guys ... No this is NOT a joke btw ....

I just found this locally and was wondering if I should give an offer:

http://www.buysell.com/root/45170956/viewoffer.aspx

I'd really appreciate your opinion on the above item and also what's a
fair price to offer if it all checks out ? What should I look or test
for if I were to purchase this ? Thanks so much again! --Daniel
August 13, 2005 1:45:56 AM

Buy a DVD player... they're cheaper, you can get way more stuff for them and
the sound quality is much better.

R.

"Daniel" <sivlee@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I am in a search for "good" record player, both second-hand and new,
> and would like to know what to look for when purchasing one. I'm in no
> way wanting to get a top of the line machine but something that would
> satisfy all but the most serious of vinyl audiophiles. Tho I know what
> to look and ask for when purchasing an open reel tape machine, I'm
> pretty clueless when it comes to record players. Actually, all I know
> is that a wooden housing is better than plastic ..
>
> Thanks for your reply,
>
> Daniel

Anonymous
August 13, 2005 4:40:16 AM

Daniel <sivlee@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am in a search for "good" record player, both second-hand and new,
> and would like to know what to look for when purchasing one. I'm in no
> way wanting to get a top of the line machine but something that would
> satisfy all but the most serious of vinyl audiophiles. Tho I know what
> to look and ask for when purchasing an open reel tape machine, I'm
> pretty clueless when it comes to record players. Actually, all I know
> is that a wooden housing is better than plastic ..

The features to look for depend on your budget and your application.
If you're a DJ, meaning you want to put your hand on the turntable and
spin it backwards, then get a direct-drive turntable. If not, then get
a belt-drive turntable because the motor will be somewhat decoupled
from the platter. If you need variable pitch control, you'll have to
get something with a Dc motor. Otherwise, synchronous AC motors are
rock solid and reliable. A heavy platter is generally considered a
good thing because it will have more inertia, which translates into
less short-term speed fluctuation. Ideally you want the tonearm to be
completely isolated from the platter, and you want them both completely
isolated from the motor and from the world. In practice, and on any
kind of budget, this will not be fully realized. You generally want to
look for a turntable with few if any automated functions and features.
Two reasons for this: First of all, you want all your turntable money
to go toward the bearing and the tonearm, the two most important parts
quality-wise instead of going toward "extras." Secondly, features like
auto-return require additional mechanical linkages attached to the
platter and tone arm, which can only hinder their attempts to track the
record groove without irregular resistance or added resonance.

The 2nd post you made had a link to a used Duel table for $150, so I'll
assume that's your approximate price range. Have a look at
www.needledoctor.com to see what the range is of available new
turntables. I'm not necessarily endorsing them, but their website
lists about 100 turntables in order by price, ranging from $79.95 to
$12,000. Obviously you're going to fall into the low end of that, but
I think you should be able to get good performance out of a $400
turntable. You may have to buy the cartridge separately. I've been
reccommended the Grado Black, which I believe is around $40.

I don't have experience with any of the turntables on the Needle Dick
website that are in your price range, but if you skip all the DJ tables
and all the "retro" looking tables, there are only about 3 to choose
from.

ulysses
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 9:31:22 PM

Well I'll agree with you on the Thorens Scott......... That's what I
use professionally. If that's in his budget there's one ending on Ebay
tomorrow ...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Thorens-TD-126-MK-II-turntable-vint...

The Sony rec. was for ultra low budget and playing $2 used records at
home. It reviews well in that field and I've heard it. Suprisingly good
sounding for the money, but I wouldn't play good records on it...... I
made it clear that it's under $100 bucks and you do get what you pay
for.

VB
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 9:56:04 PM

Vinyl_Believer wrote:
> The Sony rec. was for ultra low budget and playing $2 used records at
> home. It reviews well in that field and I've heard it. Suprisingly good
> sounding for the money, but I wouldn't play good records on it...... I
> made it clear that it's under $100 bucks and you do get what you pay
> for.

If you don't mind chewing up your records with a stylus tracking at
about 4 grams, the Sony is fine. But for about $120, you can go with a
Technics that has a p-mount cartridge that I believe will track at 2
grams. Obviously we're not talking audiophile-grade here, but at least
your records will last past the first play.

bob
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 10:34:49 PM

In article <1123891812.990217.206930@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Daniel <sivlee@yahoo.com> wrote:
>I am in a search for "good" record player, both second-hand and new,
>and would like to know what to look for when purchasing one. I'm in no
>way wanting to get a top of the line machine but something that would
>satisfy all but the most serious of vinyl audiophiles. Tho I know what
>to look and ask for when purchasing an open reel tape machine, I'm
>pretty clueless when it comes to record players. Actually, all I know
>is that a wooden housing is better than plastic ..

What's your budget, what do you want to play, what kind of preamp are
you using?

I can recommend the Thorens TD-126 as a good first turntable. It will
work reasonably well with the stock arm and an AT440 cartridge, which is
fairly immune to loading. You can do a lot better and you can do a lot
worse.

For the most part, you want a belt-drive machine with the heaviest
platter possible and the best tonearm. What makes a tonearm good?
Low mass and good damping for the most part. If you tap the tonearm,
it should go thunk instead of clang.
--scott
August 13, 2005 10:37:54 PM

Vinyl_Believer <vinylbeliever@hotmail.com> wrote:

>You can search EBAY for a used 'classic' full function, but for causual
>listening at home I'd recommend the Sony PSLX250H Turntable. Sounds
>just fine and is under 100 bucks. No counterweight but you can put a
>weight or some coins on the other side to balance it better.

I'm sorry, this isn't funny.

If you think it's amusing to give newbies advice like this, I do
not appreciate it.
--scott

August 13, 2005 11:15:24 PM

As mentioned the Sony is a budget rec. only. It can be counterweighted
to track at less than 2 grams........Plus it has a built in phono
pre-amp. A good deal for less than $75........ My teenage son bought
one after some research on his own. Even though it's cheaply built, I
was impressed at how well it sounded on some used record....... But he
won't be playing any of my MFSL records on it!
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 7:25:23 AM

Vinyl_Believer wrote:

> Daniel wrote:
> > I am in a search for "good" record player, both second-hand and new,
> > and would like to know what to look for when purchasing one. I'm in no
> > way wanting to get a top of the line machine but something that would
> > satisfy all but the most serious of vinyl audiophiles. Tho I know what
> > to look and ask for when purchasing an open reel tape machine, I'm
> > pretty clueless when it comes to record players. Actually, all I know
> > is that a wooden housing is better than plastic ..
> >
> > Thanks for your reply,
> >
> > Daniel
>
> You can search EBAY for a used 'classic' full function, but for causual
> listening at home I'd recommend the Sony PSLX250H Turntable. Sounds
> just fine and is under 100 bucks. No counterweight but you can put a
> weight or some coins on the other side to balance it better.

*** you can put a weight or some coins on the other side to balance it better. ***

You truly *are* clueless My 'Vinyl_Believer' aren't you ? Audiophoolery seemingly knows no bounds !

Now tell me how to adjust for a tracking force of 1 gram.

Graham
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 8:55:19 AM

On 12 Aug 2005 17:10:13 -0700, "Daniel" <sivlee@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I am in a search for "good" record player, both second-hand and new,
>and would like to know what to look for when purchasing one. I'm in no
>way wanting to get a top of the line machine but something that would
>satisfy all but the most serious of vinyl audiophiles.

Asssuming you mean just a turntable and cartridge, I really
like the Denon DL160 cartridge and Rega tonearms. Rega's
complete arm and motor/platter/base packages are fine
but lack really good suspensions.

Fortunately this is something you can easily add (better
than anybody can buy) yourself with a little effort and
no real cost. Just a platform and a few long springs from
above, so it's a reasonable place to economize.

Good fortune,

Chris Hornbeck
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 1:01:11 PM

Vinyl_Believer <vinylbeliever@hotmail.com> wrote:
>The Sony rec. was for ultra low budget and playing $2 used records at
>home. It reviews well in that field and I've heard it. Suprisingly good
>sounding for the money, but I wouldn't play good records on it...... I
>made it clear that it's under $100 bucks and you do get what you pay
>for.

What you get are damaged records from mistracking. PLEASE, PLEASE
do not play anything that you care about on this kind of junk.

Records are NOT indestructable. They are not like CDs. One play with
a mistracking arm will damage them forever.
--scott