slower performance if disk is partioned?

grassapa

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
I never got this straight. Does your computer and hard disk loose performance, speed and responsiveness if you partition your hard disk?

--------------------------------------------------
My computer is so fast it proves the theory of relativity wrong... :eek:

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Not sure discussion on FAT16 or FAT32 are that relevant anymore, but <A HREF="http://www.computercraft.com/docs/evsterms.shtml#PartitionEfficiency" target="_new"> partition efficiency </A>

The loving are the daring!

Ashish34

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2002
I have my Seagate 120 GB drive partitioned into 4 partitions, and as you can see below my name, I've got a slow ars computer with a ATA 33 controller, btw :). I don't notice a slowdown, but perhaps that's because my drive is mighty fast. But overall, if there is a slowdown, it would be negligible. But of course you must factor in your ATA controller - a low quality one will obviously slow down things quite a bit, alogn with your system bus. Sorry if my post didn't help much, but I hope it did

~ApT~

Running:
333 MHz Celeron (Slot1)
192 MB RAM
4 MB ATi Rage LT Integrated Video
ESS 1869 Integrated Audio
Comcrap (Compaq) mobo

PAX

Distinguished
May 22, 2001
It depends on what kind of filesystem you´re using.

If you´re on FAT32, you´ll get the best performance using partitions smaller than 32GB each. So having a 80GB drive, you should make 3 partitions, or at least make sure your OS partition is smaller than 32GB.

With NTFS you´ll get better performance using larger partitions, the larger the better, but at least use more than 32GB for each partition. If you´re on a 80GB drive, just use one large partition.

-------------
Pax vobiscum!

craqon

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2003
I may be totally wrong, but one controller per drive. So split the drive, and you end up with one controller trying to handle 2 drives. Does that sound logic? English is my 2nd language. So copying from one partion to the other on the same physical drive will be slow. In other words, moving your pagefile to the second partition on the same drive will most definately NOT speed your drive up.

goblinking

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003
Having the pagefile on a different partition to your OS but on the same drive will increase access times and cause slowdowns. As long as you don't do that however, you shouldn't run into any major performance problems by partitioning your hard drive.

mopeygoth

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2003
I think what this guy would like to know is weither you loose bandwidth on a harddrive by partitioning it (e.g. udma4=udma2 for each partition)

Intel Pentium 4 - 400Mhz FSB - 2.4Ghz
- 1152mb pc-133 - Ati Radeon 9700 128Mb

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
the answer here is no. Unless they're different file systems. Like Fat16 and NTFS.

-J<font color=red>//\</font color=red>ECOR™ -
-J<font color=purple>//\</font color=purple>ECOR™ -