Drum ambience mic choices; advice

Last response: in Home Audio
August 15, 2005 12:38:02 AM

I'm looking to keep improving my drum recording and so want to start using 3
ambience mics as opposed to the 1 mono Neumann TLM 193 that I normally use.

I'm looking to see from experience here what are decent choices for a pair
of condenser mics that I could use for the left and right ambience. If
possible can you give me choices for high quality mics and then some choices
for lesser counterparts (Chinese or Eastern block made mics). If possible
I'd like to buy two mics that I could use in other applications to get the
worth out of them.

For example:
Would two U87s be an option? Should I be using Omni pattern mics or would
TLM 103s (similar capsules) be a cheaper alternative?
Are there any SE mics up to the task?

regards,

Martin
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 2:56:27 AM

"Martin Quinn" <mquinn@eircom.net> wrote in message
> I'm looking to keep improving my drum recording and so want to start using
3
> ambience mics as opposed to the 1 mono Neumann TLM 193 that I normally
use.

> I'm looking to see from experience here what are decent choices for a pair
> of condenser mics that I could use for the left and right ambience. If
> possible can you give me choices for high quality mics and then some
choices
> for lesser counterparts (Chinese or Eastern block made mics). If possible
> I'd like to buy two mics that I could use in other applications to get the
> worth out of them.
>
> For example:
> Would two U87s be an option?

Sure, a nice one. Even cynics who call the U87 "the floor tom mic" would
agree that it works just fine as the room mic.

I'm not that spoiled and like it on other sources as well.

>Should I be using Omni pattern mics

Depends on the room. If it sounds nice almost anything will work. If it
doesn't, you may be better off with a pair of boundary mics.

or would
> TLM 103s (similar capsules) be a cheaper alternative?

Certainly. Still not a cheap one, but you'd surely be able to use them for
other applications. Not as versatile as a pair of small diaphraghm
condensers, though.

Predrag
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 6:31:28 PM

In article <w4NLe.3849$R5.860@news.indigo.ie>,
"Martin Quinn" <mquinn@eircom.net> wrote:

> I'm looking to keep improving my drum recording and so want to start using 3
> ambience mics as opposed to the 1 mono Neumann TLM 193 that I normally use.
>
> I'm looking to see from experience here what are decent choices for a pair
> of condenser mics that I could use for the left and right ambience. If
> possible can you give me choices for high quality mics and then some choices
> for lesser counterparts (Chinese or Eastern block made mics). If possible
> I'd like to buy two mics that I could use in other applications to get the
> worth out of them.
>
> For example:
> Would two U87s be an option? Should I be using Omni pattern mics or would
> TLM 103s (similar capsules) be a cheaper alternative?
> Are there any SE mics up to the task?
>
> regards,
>
> Martin

I use two 87's for overheads and two AT 4033's in a live chamber for
ambient drum sounds. All are in cardiod.

Years back when I had a smaller space than I have now, I would sometimes
put the 87's into omni for some drummers. Just change the pattern and
listen. If it sounds better, use it.

Remember, the whole thing with adding room tone is that the room itself
actually sounds good with the drums. A pair of 57's in a great room will
sound wonderful. If the space ain't sounding wonderful, the mics used
won't matter.

David Correia
www.Celebrationsound.com
!