Round Cables slower then Ribbons?

heylookitsjerry

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2002
I hear it all the time but then some people say otherwise. I'm just getting confused. So if I could get everyone's opinion on these round cables, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks.
-Jerry

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
well...a ide cable has 80 wires...40 of them are grounded...the rest carry signals...the 40 grounded wires serve to stop interference...

Now wheater or not round is faster than standard...i doubt it...but if you get cheepo cables...then you may encounter interferece...although i have never heard anyone experience this...

Proud owner of DOS 3.3 :smile:

craqon

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2003
But the whole idea of 80 pin cables is that every data cable is seperated by another cable, making crosstalk less. But now with rounded cable, all the cables are seperated and the bundled together. So, my opinion is that in a perfect world this wouldn't matter. But it's not. A harddrive works on the same principal as a network card, doesn't it? It will try to send the data (with error correction)untill the data is on the other side. The more errors, the longer it will take. So the transfer rate will still be the same, but the actual data/files coming out will be less. Any electricians have a comment on this??? I know some rounded have some foil insulation that will help.

G

It all depends on the cable. Versions which more accurately maintain this signal ground signal ground...orientation will work better. I'm thinking you won't be able to notice either way, but you could always run some benchmarks to help confirm.

Actually airflow through the case and data corruption are the two main purchasing plus's, its conductors are basically copper wire, one will not transfer any faster than the other, the biggest advantage of round cables is not restricting the airflow through the case like flat ribbon cables do, and properly shielded round cables have virtually 0% data loss, some of the best round cables I've seen and the type I use are the Antec cables, they're not only twisted and shielded they have an included grounding wire that runs through the cable that grounds to the case.

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>

heylookitsjerry

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2002
Thanks for all the replies!

I was thinking about using round-cables for CD-ROMs more than a HD just because I'm starting to really like the SATA stuff thats out right now.

So would it be safe to say that round cables MAY produce a slower speed because of the possibility of errors but it is virtually undetectable?

Comments?

THanks again!