inserting text files as memopad documents

July 22, 2004 6:13:21 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

I'm trying to insert multple text documents into the palm memopad
(as documents, of course). Is there a way to do this under Windows (alas)?

In the best scenario (I guess), these would be inserted into the windows
machines' files, then on sync, would be copied over to the palm.

In the next best, a bunch of files would be bundled together and
converted to a memopad archive (and then manually installed from
the desktop).

Finally, least best would be something like install-memo from pilot-link,
but running under windows instead.

Have I missed anything? Is this doable?

Of course, there are the usual differences (such as in memo, the 1st line is the
document title).

TIA
Anonymous
July 25, 2004 3:02:44 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Anyone have any ideas here?

Obviously, it's possible to cut and paste into the palm desktop but it doesn't
work so well for many documents.

Is there a way easily automated?
Anonymous
July 25, 2004 1:05:16 PM

dejpd@yahoo.com (spamnot@notspam.com) wrote:
>Is there a way easily automated?

Well, there's Documents To Go, though it doesn't put them into memos,
it does get around the 4K character limit...

--
William Smith
July 25, 2004 5:14:18 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On 24 Jul 2004 23:02:44 -0700, dejpd@yahoo.com (spamnot@notspam.com)
was understood to have stated the following:

>Anyone have any ideas here?
>
>Obviously, it's possible to cut and paste into the palm desktop but it doesn't
>work so well for many documents.
>
>Is there a way easily automated?

If you are working with plain text files, or HTML (and you're an
Iambic Reader user), PilotInstall isn't a bad option. Creates and
installs DOC files quickly.
Anonymous
July 26, 2004 2:35:33 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

dejpd@yahoo.com (spamnot@notspam.com) wrote in

> Anyone have any ideas here?
>
> Obviously, it's possible to cut and paste into the palm
> desktop but it doesn't work so well for many documents.
>
> Is there a way easily automated?

A number of apps export to memos. Wordsmith and Daynotez are a
couple that work pretty well, but IME most word processing apps
permit this.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 2:14:08 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

> ...Documents To Go,... ... PilotInstall ... Wordsmith and Daynotez ...

Thx guys for your ideas and comments. I guess I asked the question poorly.

What I was trying to ask was how/if possible to install a bunch of small,
separate text files into memopad format (where "bunch" is > some number
you want to cut and paste especially this probably won't be a one time thing).

AFAIK, PilotInstall (and the like) can't install a single memopad document
without blowing away the repository of existing memopad documents? Am I wrong?

I think I don't know if it's possible on the palm side and/or windows' side:
For instance, if it's on the windows' side, maybe some process on windows
(waves hand) simply appends to the memopad data file so the next sync adds
those appended documents to the handheld.

If it's on the palm side, is there some app where you can say all palmdocuments
which are in VFS folder foo will be inserted into memopad format and appear with
category "foo?" Can pedit do something like that?

Thanks again
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 9:31:28 AM

>> ...Documents To Go,... ... PilotInstall ... Wordsmith
>> and Daynotez ...
>
> Thx guys for your ideas and comments. I guess I asked the
> question poorly.
>
> What I was trying to ask was how/if possible to install a
> bunch of small, separate text files into memopad format
> (where "bunch" is > some number you want to cut and paste
> especially this probably won't be a one time thing).

No, AFAIK that's not possible. The memopad database is one Palm
database with all the memos in it. There isn't a separate file
for each memo. The only way to get a file into a Palm is to
convert the file to a Palm OS file. You can put as many text
files on your SD card as you have room for, and there are
several editors that can access them. I like SiEd, a freeware
text editor for Palm that is VFS-aware.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 9:39:48 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

I'll 2nd your vote for SiEd.

On 27 Jul 2004 05:31:28 GMT, Stan Gosnell <me@work> wrote:

> dejpd@yahoo.com (spamnot@notspam.com) wrote in
>
>>> ...Documents To Go,... ... PilotInstall ... Wordsmith
>>> and Daynotez ...
>>
>> Thx guys for your ideas and comments. I guess I asked the
>> question poorly.
>>
>> What I was trying to ask was how/if possible to install a
>> bunch of small, separate text files into memopad format
>> (where "bunch" is > some number you want to cut and paste
>> especially this probably won't be a one time thing).
>
> No, AFAIK that's not possible. The memopad database is one Palm
> database with all the memos in it. There isn't a separate file
> for each memo. The only way to get a file into a Palm is to
> convert the file to a Palm OS file. You can put as many text
> files on your SD card as you have room for, and there are
> several editors that can access them. I like SiEd, a freeware
> text editor for Palm that is VFS-aware.

--
_____________
Thank a veteran

wrote:

>Anyone have any ideas here?
>
>Obviously, it's possible to cut and paste into the palm desktop but it doesn't
>work so well for many documents.

Or use ISilo which can read native .txt files on memory cards, so no
conversion required.

Jason
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 11:26:11 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

dejpd@yahoo.com (spamnot@notspam.com) wrote:
>> ...Documents To Go,... ... PilotInstall ... Wordsmith and Daynotez ...
>Thx guys for your ideas and comments. I guess I asked the question poorly.

I think rather than acknowledge explicitly that what you want isn't
possible(*), everyone's been coming up with possible alternate ways of
doing what you want.

(*) It's conceptually possible to modify the Windows-side database
(either directly, or using the same API that third-party
syncronization software uses) so that when you sync your Palm, the
changes will transfer over, and do what you want. However, AFAIK,
that's not something already written, or readily available.

--
William Smith
July 27, 2004 1:28:47 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Stan Gosnell <me@work> wrote:
<deletions, and order changed>

> You can put as many text
> files on your SD card as you have room for, and there are
> several editors that can access them. I like SiEd, a freeware
> text editor for Palm that is VFS-aware.

I like and use SiEd (and other editors capable of mucking with text
files).

> The only way to get a file into a Palm is to
> convert the file to a Palm OS file.

Thanks Stan and others for your comments. I'm obviously screwing
up asking this properly.

But for this problem (actually several problems), I have bosses,
co-workers,
CIO, and worse, Sig Other, who all use and distribute palms because I
evangelized. (Mistake: never hang your butt on the line :-O )

For different reasons, they don't want their palms (or palms
distributed to colleagues) to use, need, learn palm editors beyond
memopad. (I'll continue
to use SiEd, etc. for some problems, but this isn't about me.)

So, I need to somehow put some of these documents (some of which may
actually
have originated with SiEd, who knows?) into memopads.

So I'm contemplating what the options are: I can sync my own palms
with
linux and thus have more tools available to me, but most of these
other
users will only use windows.

In a nutshell, how do I take text files foo001.txt through foo100.txt
(each of
which < 4k) and stuff them into the memopads of these users (probably
during a sync) so they don't have to do or learn anything special?

Thanks guys
July 27, 2004 11:18:02 PM

On 27 Jul 2004 09:28:47 -0700, spamnot@notspam.com wrote:

> In a nutshell, how do I take text files foo001.txt through foo100.txt
> (each of
> which < 4k) and stuff them into the memopads of these users (probably
> during a sync) so they don't have to do or learn anything special?

If you are able to do most of the work yourself, here's something
that would work with Palms using OS3 and/or OS4. Presumably
something similar would work with OS5.

1. Take text files foo001.txt through foo100.txt and stuff them
into your own palm's memopad database. If SiEd can do this, fine,
otherwise you could always do it in Windows (using Palm Desktop -
cut-and-paste the files into memos). Assign them to a previously
non-existing or unused category, such as XFER. Delete them, making
sure to specify that they be archived. After the next hotsync,
these files will be stored in Palm/Username/memopad/Xfer.MPA.

2. If bosses, co-workers, CIO, (and worse), Sig Other permit, you
can copy Xfer.MPA to their own Palm/Username/memopad directory. If
not, copy the file to a shared network directory or give it to them
on a floppy disk. Then, using the Palm Desktop, open the Memo
database and do File -> Import (selecting Xfer.MPA). The contents
of foo001.txt through foo100.txt will now be stored in the Memo
database in lots of little memo records (100?), and after the next
hotsync, will have been transferred to their own Palms. I haven't
tested this thoroughly, so I don't know if they'd have to first
create an XFER category. You could target preexisting categories,
but that would make life more difficult, since you'd have to import
from several archives. Do if for the boss and you'll probably soon
have to do it for everyone else too. :)
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 4:33:05 AM

> In a nutshell, how do I take text files foo001.txt through
> foo100.txt (each of
> which < 4k) and stuff them into the memopads of these users
> (probably during a sync) so they don't have to do or learn
> anything special?

The easiest way I can think of is to open Palm Desktop, and
paste each file into a memo. It's not elegant, it takes time,
but it will work. That's assuming you don't want to use any
other third-party software.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 6:54:55 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On 26 Jul 2004 22:14:08 -0700, dejpd@yahoo.com (spamnot@notspam.com)
was understood to have stated the following:

>> ...Documents To Go,... ... PilotInstall ... Wordsmith and Daynotez ...
>
>Thx guys for your ideas and comments. I guess I asked the question poorly.
>
>What I was trying to ask was how/if possible to install a bunch of small,
>separate text files into memopad format (where "bunch" is > some number
>you want to cut and paste especially this probably won't be a one time thing).

Check out Palm Desktop's "Hotsync|File Linking" option. If the users
that are syncing this stuff are all on the same network, you just make
sure that their desktop PCs are set to link with a file you maintain.
There are many up sides to this approach, including (I *believe*)
their inability to delete these memos, as well as no changes on
anyone's part once their PCs are set up properly.

You could also hold your group of memos in a special category on your
device, and as you encounter your other PDA bearing coworkers, beam
the category to them. Spend a bit of time training them to delete the
previous category you beamed them, or teach them how to search and
delete for duplicate records using the Palm desktop or a Palm OS based
app.

When building your "memo base", it's important to remember that older
versions of the memo pad application support smaller memo sizes; 4k if
I remember for pre-4.0.

A nice thing to know in regards to building your memo base is that if
you copy multiple memos on the Palm desktop to the windows clipboard,
the memos will have a form feed character inserted between them. That
way, if you paste back in to the Palm desktop, your memos reappear
properly divided. You can save the copy of the clipboard to a text
file and then use a Palm doc conversion tool to convert them to Palm
DOC files. I frequently archive large quantities of memos from my memo
pad, and they get stored in doc format because of compression and
single-file/large quantities of very grouped and ordered memos. If you
save the windows clipboard to a file on your desktop, be aware that
the app you save with may strip your form feed characters; Word, for
one, suffers from this problem. No other text editor or word processor
of which I am aware suffers this limitation.

>AFAIK, PilotInstall (and the like) can't install a single memopad document
>without blowing away the repository of existing memopad documents? Am I wrong?

You're correct, PilotInstall's only ability is to replace the entire
file; all memos are stored in the same file. Although.....

If you decide to explore in this direction, I suggest making a good
backup and being prepared for a hard reset to straighten out any
resulting mess. I'm not saying that a hard reset is going to be
required, just to be properly prepared. Anyway, I seem to recall
several years installing a renamed memopad.pdb file (or whatever it's
proper name is). As I recall, as soon as I fired up the memo pad, it
took the memos from the renamed file, and stuffed them into the
unfiled category. Looking at the file after the fact, also as I
recall, the memos were deleted from the "auxiliary" memo pad database,
leaving a small, zero record file. If that's what you find, and you
don't mind the limitations of the dumping into the unfiled category,
you could set up PilotInstall to dump one of these renamed memo pad
pdbs. Caveat would be duplicate memos, though.

>I think I don't know if it's possible on the palm side and/or windows' side:
>For instance, if it's on the windows' side, maybe some process on windows
>(waves hand) simply appends to the memopad data file so the next sync adds
>those appended documents to the handheld.

Hotsync File Linking seems like the easiest way to go here. Can also
make sure everyone has an up to date corporate address book this way,
too.

>If it's on the palm side, is there some app where you can say all palmdocuments
>which are in VFS folder foo will be inserted into memopad format and appear with
>category "foo?" Can pedit do something like that?

Good question.

My interest in this is that I want a Doze app that will quickly insert
the contents (within reason) of the Windows clipboard to a single Palm
memo, and do this without having to go through a hotsync, although I
do want to do it through the cradle. There are times at work I want to
copy some text quickly from my desktop to my PDA, and I don't want to
go through an entire hotsync cycle to do so; too many conduits, and I
want them all active for when I do have time to hotsync.
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 1:43:09 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Thanks people for the ideas...

I guess I'm now leaning towards mucking with the memopad.dat file on
the
user's PCs (under windows not linux or xbsd). Anyone out there in net-
news land done that via C++? Java? perl? python? Can anyone comment on
the relative strengths of stuff that purports to do that for you?

Thanks David W. Poole Jr for ideas: "David W. Poole, Jr." wrote:
> Check out Palm Desktop's "Hotsync|File Linking" option. If the users
> that are syncing this stuff are all on the same network, you just make
> sure that their desktop PCs are set to link with a file you maintain.
> There are many up sides to this approach, including (I *believe*)
> their inability to delete these memos, as well as no changes on
> anyone's part once their PCs are set up properly.

I've used this idea before, but if I understand it correctly, I have
to walk around to each possible Palm desktop and set up up manually if
I understand it right. Is that right? (for instance, I don't think I
can
create or change it on one and then set an file or updater around to
other machines).

I also think some folks set their
palms up to sync with multiple machines. Do you know what happens if
file linking is set up on one machine in a sync pool, but not on
another?

> A nice thing to know in regards to building your memo base is that if
> you copy multiple memos on the Palm desktop to the windows clipboard,
> the memos will have a form feed character inserted between them. That
> way, if you paste back in to the Palm desktop, your memos reappear
> properly divided. You can save the copy of the clipboard to a text
> file and then use a Palm doc conversion tool to convert them to Palm
> DOC files. I frequently archive large quantities of memos from my memo
> pad, and they get stored in doc format because of compression and
> single-file/large quantities of very grouped and ordered memos. If you
> save the windows clipboard to a file on your desktop, be aware that
> the app you save with may strip your form feed characters; Word, for
> one, suffers from this problem. No other text editor or word processor
> of which I am aware suffers this limitation.

I have used this before too. Under extreme motivation, I've even
created
some scripts that generate the multiple memos file. But, I'm can't
cajole/ask/train users into repeatedly doing this in desktop.
(I think some users never use desktop -- they just sync).

re: pilot-install, there are a lot of useful/interesting thing it
seems
capable of, I just don't think it's attractive here.

> My interest in this is that I want a Doze app that will quickly insert
> the contents (within reason) of the Windows clipboard to a single Palm
> memo, and do this without having to go through a hotsync, although I
> do want to do it through the cradle. ...

So it would add a new memo, or change an existing one?

> There are times at work I want to
> copy some text quickly from my desktop to my PDA, and I don't want to
> go through an entire hotsync cycle to do so; too many conduits, and I
> want them all active for when I do have time to hotsync.

How many conduits do you have?

(There are ways to shorten hotsync cycles, but you can get weird
errors...)

I am interested in what you come up with. Although if I muck with the
memopad.dat file, I think I'll still rely on a normal hotsync sequence
to propogate the mods to the palms.

TIA
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 12:19:45 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

> > My interest in this is that I want a Doze app that will quickly insert
> > the contents (within reason) of the Windows clipboard to a single Palm
> > memo, and do this without having to go through a hotsync, although I
> > do want to do it through the cradle. ...
> > There are times at work I want to
> > copy some text quickly from my desktop to my PDA, and I don't want to
> > go through an entire hotsync cycle to do so; too many conduits, and I
> > want them all active for when I do have time to hotsync.

If you can live with a Docs-to-Go document instead of a memopad document
you can either shoot a text file to an SD card (requires an SD card
reader/writer for your PC) or shoot the file to Palm via infrared
(requires an IR port on your PC). I have both an SD card reader an IR
port on my Compaq notebook and it is fast and slick.

Regards,

-Doug
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 5:30:19 PM

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 21:43:09 -0700, spamnot@notspam.com wrote:

> I guess I'm now leaning towards mucking with the memopad.dat file on the
> user's PCs (under windows not linux or xbsd). Anyone out there in net-
> news land done that via C++? Java? perl? python? Can anyone comment on
> the relative strengths of stuff that purports to do that for you?

The OP was asking about a procedure that we've been successfully
doing in Linux and FreeBSD (and most-recently, OSX) since at least 1996,
with pilot-link. You can take a directory of files, and push them onto
your MemoDB.pdb application on the Palm all in one shot.

That being said, yes, we also have code to read the Windows side
of the data storage problem. It all depends on how you want to solve it.
Anonymous
August 2, 2004 6:12:37 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On 31 Jul 2004 21:43:09 -0700, dejpd@yahoo.com (spamnot@notspam.com)
was understood to have stated the following:

>I've used this idea before, but if I understand it correctly, I have
>to walk around to each possible Palm desktop and set up up manually if
>I understand it right. Is that right? (for instance, I don't think I
>can
>create or change it on one and then set an file or updater around to
>other machines).

I don't know any way to set it up on other machines besides going to
each machine individually. But the idea of a centralized file for
linking via the network is a very good one, in my belief.

>I also think some folks set their
>palms up to sync with multiple machines. Do you know what happens if
>file linking is set up on one machine in a sync pool, but not on
>another?

I'm not for certain, because I only played with it briefly, and very
long ago on top of that, but I believe it just shows up as another
memo pad category wherever it's synced.

>(I think some users never use desktop -- they just sync).

Understandable.

>re: pilot-install, there are a lot of useful/interesting thing it
>seems
>capable of, I just don't think it's attractive here.

That's understandable.

>> My interest in this is that I want a Doze app that will quickly insert
>> the contents (within reason) of the Windows clipboard to a single Palm
>> memo, and do this without having to go through a hotsync, although I
>> do want to do it through the cradle. ...
>
>So it would add a new memo, or change an existing one?

Add one, preferably to the beginning of the memo list. That way it's
easy enough to find. :-D

>> There are times at work I want to
>> copy some text quickly from my desktop to my PDA, and I don't want to
>> go through an entire hotsync cycle to do so; too many conduits, and I
>> want them all active for when I do have time to hotsync.
>
>How many conduits do you have?

Mostly defaults, close to whatever that is for the T|3 and the bonus
package. 19 in all, 4 not in use. The main issue is that when I depart
work, since I am currently sharing desk(s) with coworkers, I
obliterate the information on the Palm desktop. Next day, upon arrival
to work, I have a full sync from PDA to desktop, which takes around
five minutes if memory serves. Plus, until recently, I had not
installed the Palm desktop software on all the machines. So if
something comes up where I wanted to walk about with a piece of info
off the work desktop, and I had not done my first sync yet, I am up
the creek. Although I can stuff it into a text file and launch
Pilot-Install, which is about the quickest option.

>(There are ways to shorten hotsync cycles, but you can get weird
>errors...)

Oh yeah, delved into some of that with my old IIIc & IIIxe; hotsyncing
over a serial with a stuffed PDA was brutal.

>I am interested in what you come up with. Although if I muck with the
>memopad.dat file, I think I'll still rely on a normal hotsync sequence
>to propogate the mods to the palms.

I don't know what I'll come up with, if anything, as there are
currently many other fish to fry. :-(

Do keep us updated in this thread, though. Might be interested in
borrowing some code from you. :-D

--

The last song I started on my PC was: Hold Me Down-Gin Blossoms-New Miserable Experience
This is track 79 of 1023 in the current playlist.

David A. Desrosiers (hacker@gnu-designs.com) wrote:

> The OP was asking about a procedure that we've been successfully
> doing in Linux and FreeBSD (and most-recently, OSX) since at least 1996,
> with pilot-link. You can take a directory of files, and push them onto
> your MemoDB.pdb application on the Palm all in one shot.

Thanks for the comments. Pilot-link is pretty cool, no doubt about it. And
most of the time, it's great to have it under xbsd, linux, and whatnot.
But are there release quality ports to windows natively? cygwin? How is the
rewrite coming?

> That being said, yes, we also have code to read the Windows side
> of the data storage problem. It all depends on how you want to solve it.

What are you recommending?

buck <that circle a thingy> compact <full stop> com wrote:
> ... LispMe, the free tiny Scheme for the Palm, ...
> packs them ... and ... loads them in one import operation into the
> desktop version of MemoPad, then hot syncs them onto the Palm. ...
> Worked fine for me.

Thanks for the suggestion. I had heard there were potential issues if
using the newer >4k memos. Did you encounter any? Did you ever try
to mod it so its input wasn't csv?

"David W. Poole, Jr." wrote:
> I don't know any way to set it up on other machines besides going to
> each machine individually. But the idea of a centralized file for
> linking via the network is a very good one, in my belief.

In general, this technique is very powerful. If, for instance, the central
file store held the summary of basket scores from the night before and any
palm syncing would get that file. Doesn't work if you are trying to
have the central file store hold something more fluid like the current
reuters top stories.

Doesn't work quite as well for this problem too, since different folks need
different versions of the files (somewhat), and some also need some data
created on the fly with up-to-the-minute info at sync time.

> (Order mucked with)
> ...The main issue is that when I depart
> work, since I am currently sharing desk(s) with coworkers, I
> obliterate the information on the Palm desktop. Next day, upon arrival
> to work, I have a full sync from PDA to desktop, which takes around
> five minutes if memory serves. Plus, until recently, I had not
> installed the Palm desktop software on all the machines. ...

Sounds like you're worried re: leaving your personal data on the shared
desks with co-workers, so you delete data before you leave, no? Why aren't
you worried about their access to it during the day? Have you ever encountered
data corruption as a result of lot's of copying?

> ... So if
> something comes up where I wanted to walk about with a piece of info
> off the work desktop, and I had not done my first sync yet, I am up
> the creek. Although I can stuff it into a text file and launch
> Pilot-Install, which is about the quickest option. (order mucked with)
> >> My interest in this is that I want a Doze app that will quickly insert
> >> the contents (within reason) of the Windows clipboard to a single Palm
> >> memo, and do this without having to go through a hotsync, although I
> >> do want to do it through the cradle. ...

Suggestion: if you do most of your syncing at home, and assuming you are
less worried about who has access to you data there, why don't you turn off
all the standard palm conduits at work (unless other users also have palms),
and use other avenues to transfer the work related data to your palm for your
walk abouts? Then write a script to do the clipboard->palm part.

> Do keep us updated in this thread, though. Might be interested in
> borrowing some code from you. :-D

Surely.
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 10:27:29 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

> David A. Desrosiers (hacker@gnu-designs.com) wrote:
>
> "David W. Poole, Jr." wrote:
> > I don't know any way to set it up on other machines besides going to
> > each machine individually. But the idea of a centralized file for
> > linking via the network is a very good one, in my belief.
>
> In general, this technique is very powerful. If, for instance, the central
> file store held the summary of basket scores from the night before and any
> palm syncing would get that file. Doesn't work if you are trying to
> have the central file store hold something more fluid like the current
> reuters top stories.
>
> Doesn't work quite as well for this problem too, since different folks need
> different versions of the files (somewhat), and some also need some data
> created on the fly with up-to-the-minute info at sync time.

In the latter case, though, couldn't you create variants of the file
to link to, and link to differently depending on the individual user's
needs?

> > (Order mucked with)
> > ...The main issue is that when I depart
> > work, since I am currently sharing desk(s) with coworkers, I
> > obliterate the information on the Palm desktop. Next day, upon arrival
> > to work, I have a full sync from PDA to desktop, which takes around
> > five minutes if memory serves. Plus, until recently, I had not
> > installed the Palm desktop software on all the machines. ...
>
> Sounds like you're worried re: leaving your personal data on the shared
> desks with co-workers, so you delete data before you leave, no? Why aren't
> you worried about their access to it during the day? Have you ever encountered
> data corruption as a result of lot's of copying?

The area I work in is a 24/7 operation. Interestingly enough, as of
today, I now have my own desk, but it's still open enough that others
can log in to it. I am concerned about others getting personal data,
although the really personal stuff is encrypted. I'm not very
concerned about others getting to my data during the middle of the day
because the majority of the time I am at my desk, and when I am not
(meal break) it's locked down. Most of my coworkers don't (and
wouldn't) try to extract the information anyway; I just operate on the
level of paranoia.

I have had data corruption at my prior place of employment, where I
had a PC that was used by no one else but myself. In that instance, I
had cut a number of memos into a text editor, for whatever reasons,
perhaps to spell check the memos. I then pasted them back in to the
Palm desktop. When I synced again at home, the sync devestated the
memo pad. Fortunately I had made a backup of it with PZ just before
the sync, so it was a non issue. Since that point in time, I made sure
that if I was going to be doing a cold sync (or is it a warm sync?), I
set my conduits to PDA overwrites desktop, as the last operation I
perform before I depart any machine is a final sync. This has
eliminated corruption and/or data loss. Since taking my new position,
though, I've changed my work syncing behavior. Given that a sync to a
machine without any prior data on it, I believe this reduces the
possibility of data corruption. I also don't do any *massive* edits of
existing information on the Palm desktop at work, unless I make sure
to set the relevant conduits to "PDA overwrites desktop" on my return
home.

> Suggestion: if you do most of your syncing at home, and assuming you are
> less worried about who has access to you data there, why don't you turn off
> all the standard palm conduits at work (unless other users also have palms),
> and use other avenues to transfer the work related data to your palm for your
> walk abouts? Then write a script to do the clipboard->palm part.

I don't believe multiple users syncing on the same desktop affect each
other's conduit settings, at least for the built in PIM functions.
Also, I can't totally disable the PIM conduits, as I want the
information on my PDA and desktop(s) to synchronize, as I have both
business and personal information on my PDA. And again, after the
first sync of the business day, sync time becomes much less of an
issue.
!