Need Broadband Network Utility software, MN-720

Hello,

I'm at an utter standstill. My father, bless him,
upgraded his laptop and shipped me his old one, a Toshiba
Satellite with WinXP Home edition. He also sent along
the MN-720. Since he told us in advance the laptop would
have a wireless card, my husband and I bought the Linksys
networking kit and have that as a base and a fard for his
laptop (which works splendidly, I might add).

The bad news is that dad didn't send along any
installation disk. After plugging it in through a cable,
I went to Windows Update and got everything possible,
hoping it would also have drivers available. No such
luck. No luck on the /broadbandnetworking site either.
There seems to be absolutely no download support for this
card, which I find highly frustrating.

Please, would someone enlighten me with (a) a place to
download the necessary installation software or (b) a way
to manually install this thing? I'm pretty close to
chucking it and getting a Linksys card to match my
husband's!

You can right me off-list at meruorime -at- yahoo.

Thanks for your time,
-M
6 answers Last reply
More about need broadband network utility software

    Hello Melissa,

    I know the fine print can be an irritation sometimes.
    But your father's laptop is running WinXP and it is a MN-
    720 adapter, correct? In the setup manual for the MN-
    720, on the first page of "Chapter 2 SETUP" it says...

    "Note If you don't want to use the Srtup Wizard to set
    up your adapter, and you have Windows XP, it is possible
    to set up your adapter by using Add Hardware Wizard and
    the Wireless Network Connection utility in Windows."

    But if you can't get that to work, go out and buy another
    adapter to match your husband's.

    Ken, Melissa still needs the drivers even if she uses XP's native WZC to
    configure the network.

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    Yeas, your right Barb. You need the drivers. And I need
    my first latte'.

    Barb,

    Hmmm. Why doesn't MSFT publish the drivers for the
    adapters? I have two MSFT base stations and two MSFT
    adapters. I have four Setup CDs - an overabundance. I
    guess I can't give them away.

    Goto
    http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking/15_Downloads.aspx

    Select MN700
    Download the msbndownload.exe file

    Extract its contents with Winrar
    Right click msbn.msi and install it.

    After you install it, the drivers will be in (if you keep the default msbn
    install directory) C:\Program Files\Microsoft Broadband Networking

    --
    Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

    Find out about the MS MVP Program -

    "Melissa" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm at an utter standstill. My father, bless him,
    > upgraded his laptop and shipped me his old one, a Toshiba
    > Satellite with WinXP Home edition. He also sent along
    > the MN-720. Since he told us in advance the laptop would
    > have a wireless card, my husband and I bought the Linksys
    > networking kit and have that as a base and a fard for his
    > laptop (which works splendidly, I might add).
    >
    > The bad news is that dad didn't send along any
    > installation disk. After plugging it in through a cable,
    > I went to Windows Update and got everything possible,
    > hoping it would also have drivers available. No such
    > luck. No luck on the /broadbandnetworking site either.
    > There seems to be absolutely no download support for this
    > card, which I find highly frustrating.
    >
    > Please, would someone enlighten me with (a) a place to
    > download the necessary installation software or (b) a way
    > to manually install this thing? I'm pretty close to
    > chucking it and getting a Linksys card to match my
    > husband's!
    >
    > You can right me off-list at meruorime -at- yahoo.
    >
    > Thanks for your time,
    > -M

    This worked beautifully - THANK YOU!

    If I might make a suggestions, it would be grand if MS
    added this download to the MN-720 page :)

    Glad you got it working...

    --

    > This worked beautifully - THANK YOU!
    >
    > If I might make a suggestions, it would be grand if MS
    > added this download to the MN-720 page :)

Routers Laptops Networking