kanuvin

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
Got a quick question on speaker placement. In a 6.1 system should the left and right surrounds be pointing straight at each other or at the listener? I always thought they go 2-3 ft above listener, slightly behind and pointing straight at each other, but the manual of Creative 6600 shows them way behind the listener, pointing right at him. Anyone know?

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
The front and back speakers should point at the listner in a "perfect triangle" shape per pair. The left and rigth speakers should be ca. 2/3 of the distance betwen front and back speakers. Most audio guys say that they should be slightly higher than the other speakers for sounds coming from above, but I do not necessarily agree with that since a perfect soundscape sounds like it is from above anyway, and sound phasing from the front to the back, or vice versa, sounds as though it passes above you.
A perfect environment should also be free of any obstacles, "floating" (spring rooms anyone) and walls should be lined with sound suppressing material. However, unless you are a real audiophile, it does not matter much...
What matters most is that you get a listening experience you enjoy anyway. That is why I still get laughed at for saying that the original soundworks 2.1 (not the 4.1 PC works) are good speakers :)

Dev

---
My Sig:
))
(( ___________________
|||_____________|_____|

mattburklund

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2002
The 6th would be placed behind you, in a 6.1 system. If you had a 7th then the two would be to either side of the listening position, and behind you. Go to dolby.com for more information.

tylerbc

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2003
Anyone have any input on the best placement for a 4.1 system? I use it strictly for music. Should the surrounds be higher (2-3 feet above like Dolby says for home theater) or around ear level? What about a direction for the fronts? Should they be straight on or angled a bit towards the listener?

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
I like higher personally. They lift the soundstage, make the sound a little fuller than just right at ear level. Point them in from the sides, directly at the listener. Angle them down a bit too.

Sound deadening materials make a significant difference. All it needs to be is a thick (I mean, thick!) curtain right behind the listener. It can make a huge difference in eliminating echoes.

That's why there are huge tapestries in castles. They may look good, but you'd better believe they help get rid of echoes. Think of a bare church, and then think of a massive decorated cathedral. In the empty church your voice echoes forever and easily gets lost, where in the one with the decorations, just raising your voice a little lets your voice carry clearly to the other end. That's what you want.

umheint0's phat setup --> <A HREF="http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html" target="_new">http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html</A><--