Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

PC laptop for on site stereo recording

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 14, 2005 11:17:24 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

I posted here a while back asking about mics and pres for on site
clasical music recording. I was asking about Schoeps mics, but now I
know they are a bit out of my range. Someone recommended the Oktava
MC012 set with three capsules for each mic and an RNP. This sounds
like a good starting point and I think I will purchase them soon.

I need to know if there would be any problems using this IBM laptop:

IBM ThinkPad T23 1.2 GHz Pentium IIIĀ® CPU:
512 MB RAM, 40 GB Hard Disk Drive

I will be using Cubase SX 1 on running a Terratec Phase 24 external
firewire based soundcard. The IBM dosen't come with a firewire port so
I will have to go the pc card adapter route. Has anyone used such a pc
card? Are there any issues there? Is the busspeed of the IBM laptop
acdeptable? I'm currently running Cubase SX on an 800mhz 368 MB RAM
desktop and love it. Since the specs are better on the laptop I'd
expect it to run better, but I've never run Cubase on a laptop at all.

I haven't bought the laptop yet and need to know if there is anything I
don't know :-). Are IBMs not music software friendly? How about those
Sony Vios? Are there any other laptops I should be considering? It has
to be PC based (not mac) and it has to be under $800. The IBM descibed
above I found refrubished for $675.

Thanks all very much in advance.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 15, 2005 4:09:08 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

inkexit@yahoo.com wrote:

> I need to know if there would be any problems using this IBM laptop:
>
> IBM ThinkPad T23 1.2 GHz Pentium IIIĀ® CPU:
> 512 MB RAM, 40 GB Hard Disk Drive

It's specced a little low in comparison to standards. It will certainly
work, but there are other systems that are entirely affordable and
capable. I just picked up an Acer 1692 laptop. It's currently speced as
follows:

Intel Pentium M 1.73gHz processor
1.5gig of DDR2 533mhz ram
one internal 80gig 5400rpm drive for the OS/Progs.
I've got a lacie FW card for my two motu 896s
and i have an external 80gig 7200rpm drive for audio. I run it through
USB 2.0.
The main system was 1299 Cdn.

With that setup i've tested and can run 16 channels of 96khz/32bit audio
no problem straight into my external hard drive. However i can't do that
same test with the external hard drive connected to the firewire
adapter. To much throughput, my MOTU's start to freak out.

> I will be using Cubase SX 1 on running a Terratec Phase 24 external
> firewire based soundcard. The IBM dosen't come with a firewire port so
> I will have to go the pc card adapter route. Has anyone used such a pc
> card? Are there any issues there?

yes. Get a card with Texas Instrument chipset. Most reliable that i've
come across, and that's a commonly agreed upon opinion. My Lacie card
has been great, i've got one for my laptop, and the PC version for my
desktop. It's the Lacie FW800 Cardbus card.

Is the busspeed of the IBM laptop
> acdeptable? I'm currently running Cubase SX on an 800mhz 368 MB RAM
> desktop and love it. Since the specs are better on the laptop I'd
> expect it to run better, but I've never run Cubase on a laptop at all.

If it works for you, then it works. There are so many quirks. Your
processor speed and RAM should be fine, but i would certainly get an
external audio drive for your system. The drive in your system is likely
4200RPM which is slow. You can get an 80gig FW/USB2 drive for about a
hundred bucks.

> I haven't bought the laptop yet and need to know if there is anything I
> don't know :-). Are IBMs not music software friendly? How about those
> Sony Vios? Are there any other laptops I should be considering? It has
> to be PC based (not mac) and it has to be under $800. The IBM descibed
> above I found refrubished for $675.

You really need to look into chipsets. Look at the chipsets that
everything has and then research on google-groups to see what people are
saying about that stuff. Stay away from VIA, generally causes problems
with a lot of hardware interfaces. Texas Instruments and Lucent Chipsets
are solid. http://www.notebookforums.com/ That's a great forum to check
out. Lots of hardcore gamers on there, and god knows they obsess over
every little detail. Increase your budget to about 1000 bucks and it'll
open doors to better systems. Acer and Asus systems seem to provide the
best bang for your buck. IBMs and Sonys are generally expensive.

Hope this helps,

Roach

Roach
>
> Thanks all very much in advance.
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 15, 2005 6:00:28 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

<inkexit@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1124072244.430542.273870@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
IAre there any other laptops I should be considering? It has
to be PC based (not mac) and it has to be under $800.
------------
I bought a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop specifically because it was compatible
with the Digidesign Mbox. Had to make one little tweak in the registry, but
other than that it was smooth sailing.

Does the software you want to use have a list of compatible laptops and
chipsets? That's where I would start looking.
--
Chris White
Freelance Writer/Producer
chris@chriswhite.com
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 16, 2005 12:30:10 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

<inkexit@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1124072244.430542.273870@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
I posted here a while back asking about mics and pres for on site
clasical music recording. I was asking about Schoeps mics, but now I
know they are a bit out of my range. Someone recommended the Oktava
MC012 set with three capsules for each mic and an RNP. This sounds
like a good starting point and I think I will purchase them soon.

I presume you are looking at 2-channel recording ? If so, then almost any
laptop will do. I use an HP Pavillion (?) 1G7 and M-Audio Transit. howver
as with many other laptops with SMPS power supplies, you may get noise when
not running on batteries, with a USB bus-powered audio interface...

geoff
!