Sign in with
Your question

Dying Monitor

Last response: in Components
September 1, 2003 1:38:08 PM

When I turn on my computer and after it gets to the desktop, my 19" CTR monitor screen will......???...I guess "shake" would be the best way to describe it. The picture will go in and out,in size, a little bit. Some times it will blink out and I'll have to restart it. After about 2 min. it will be OK, I'm guessing it has warmed up?

Does anyone know what this is? I am thinking its either the tube or transformer, but thats just a guess in the dark.

I know I should take it to the repair shop but I thought someone could just give me a quick answer.?.

btw its a Gateway 19" EV910

No Cats or Geese where actually harmed in the making of Might & Majic IX

More about : dying monitor

September 1, 2003 5:17:17 PM

actually i had that sorta prob on my dell e771p 17" monitor, thats if its the same prob, the sides would wave in and out like they were being resized but only slightly, id have to pay attention to make sure it wasnt my eyes playing tricks :D .... in fairness though i dont have a solution cos it went away.... I have a feeling though I updated my graphics drivers and prob was solved or it could be I got monitor "driver" update from Dell. But in my situation the monitor never turned itself off. If you have updated yur drivers recently try going back to old ones or if u have something like a new graphics card or never update yur drivers do so and see if it helps. is the monitor very old cos mine was new when that prob occurred

"I'm the dog from the telly. Would you like to stroke my coat?"
September 1, 2003 5:51:21 PM

is the monitor very old cos mine was new when that prob occurred

Its as old as my PIII 450..........:}

Related resources
September 2, 2003 2:13:03 AM

sounds much like a faulty contact.
When cold you get only intermittant contact, but when things are warm the metals expand and you get a better contact.

Something you should get loked at if its under warantee.

<b>My Car comes with Hyper Threading enabled:
1970 General Motors Holden HT Kingswood Wagon :smile:
Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>
September 3, 2003 12:06:43 AM

Thanks Master I was also thinking along those lines. It's about 3 years old and out of warantee.

In the back of my mind(the darker side),I've been telling myself to just to take the back off and clean the dust off....but I don't think electroction is the way I want to go.
PLEASE no one try this because there is enough POWER stored inside a TV/Monitor to cause serious damage to you.

September 3, 2003 1:31:32 AM

very true a picture tube can store electricity for a long time too...so even if it has been off for a while you can still get zapped

Proud owner of DOS 3.3 :smile:
!