CD-Text Info Important to Radio Stations?

Last response: in Home Audio
August 15, 2005 3:04:51 PM

I'm wondering if anyone could tell me if the CD-Text info (album and artist
names, song titles, length of songs) electronically embedded in most music
CDs is important to radio stations - do they use it?

I'm asking because I'm going to have a short run of CDs of my original songs
manufactured, but my older CD burner and Adaptec software don't seem to
support programming the CD-Text info into the CD. I'm planning on submitting
a number of the CDs to radio stations / programs, so I'm wondering if it's
generally important to them that this info be there on the CD, if they use
it for identification when airing songs. If so, I guess I'll have to get a
new burner / software to make the master. I'd appreciate any info anyone
could provide. Thank you.

-Jay Roberts
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 5:12:05 PM

Jay Roberts wrote:
> I'm wondering if anyone could tell me if the CD-Text info (album and artist
> names, song titles, length of songs) electronically embedded in most music
> CDs is important to radio stations - do they use it?
>
> I'm asking because I'm going to have a short run of CDs of my original songs
> manufactured, but my older CD burner and Adaptec software don't seem to
> support programming the CD-Text info into the CD. I'm planning on submitting
> a number of the CDs to radio stations / programs, so I'm wondering if it's
> generally important to them that this info be there on the CD, if they use
> it for identification when airing songs. If so, I guess I'll have to get a
> new burner / software to make the master. I'd appreciate any info anyone
> could provide. Thank you.

Probably not. Many stations don't use players that even display the
information, and the vast majority of commercial CDs still don't provide
any CD-Text, so most stations aren't accustomed to paying any attention
to it.

At my station (a community broadcaster in Cleveland) we've just upgraded
to players that DO show the CD-Text info. Occasionally, I will note a
commercial release that does have CD-Text on it, but I've never found the
display useful at the actual time I'm playing the track.

When I create custom CDs for the station, I always include CD-Text, but
that's mostly because it helps to document the content for the future,
and not because anyone is depending on it at present.
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 6:21:02 PM

Jim Gilliland wrote in message
<4300cd6f$0$1574$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>...

>Probably not. Many stations don't use players that even display the
>information, and the vast majority of commercial CDs still don't provide
>any CD-Text, so most stations aren't accustomed to paying any attention
>to it.
==============
Thanks very much for that information - I guess I was wrong to assume that
most commercial CDs use CD-Text. I'm not going to worry about it when
making my master CD, then. Thanks again!

-Jay Roberts

>At my station (a community broadcaster in Cleveland) we've just upgraded
>to players that DO show the CD-Text info. Occasionally, I will note a
>commercial release that does have CD-Text on it, but I've never found the
>display useful at the actual time I'm playing the track.
>
>When I create custom CDs for the station, I always include CD-Text, but
>that's mostly because it helps to document the content for the future,
>and not because anyone is depending on it at present.

>Jay Roberts wrote:
>> I'm wondering if anyone could tell me if the CD-Text info (album and
artist
>> names, song titles, length of songs) electronically embedded in most
music
>> CDs is important to radio stations - do they use it?
>>
>> I'm asking because I'm going to have a short run of CDs of my original
songs
>> manufactured, but my older CD burner and Adaptec software don't seem to
>> support programming the CD-Text info into the CD. I'm planning on
submitting
>> a number of the CDs to radio stations / programs, so I'm wondering if
it's
>> generally important to them that this info be there on the CD, if they
use
>> it for identification when airing songs. If so, I guess I'll have to get
>> new burner / software to make the master. I'd appreciate any info anyone
>> could provide. Thank you.
August 15, 2005 6:43:09 PM

In article <4300cd6f$0$1574$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>,
Jim Gilliland <usemylastname@cheerful.com> wrote:

> Jay Roberts wrote:
> > I'm wondering if anyone could tell me if the CD-Text info (album and artist
> > names, song titles, length of songs) electronically embedded in most music
> > CDs is important to radio stations - do they use it?
> >
> > I'm asking because I'm going to have a short run of CDs of my original songs
> > manufactured, but my older CD burner and Adaptec software don't seem to
> > support programming the CD-Text info into the CD. I'm planning on submitting
> > a number of the CDs to radio stations / programs, so I'm wondering if it's
> > generally important to them that this info be there on the CD, if they use
> > it for identification when airing songs. If so, I guess I'll have to get a
> > new burner / software to make the master. I'd appreciate any info anyone
> > could provide. Thank you.
>
> Probably not. Many stations don't use players that even display the
> information, and the vast majority of commercial CDs still don't provide
> any CD-Text, so most stations aren't accustomed to paying any attention
> to it.
>
> At my station (a community broadcaster in Cleveland) we've just upgraded
> to players that DO show the CD-Text info. Occasionally, I will note a
> commercial release that does have CD-Text on it, but I've never found the
> display useful at the actual time I'm playing the track.
>
> When I create custom CDs for the station, I always include CD-Text, but
> that's mostly because it helps to document the content for the future,
> and not because anyone is depending on it at present.

I'd guess that the large, Clear Channel rock stations with their limited
playlists play songs off hard drives. Bet the songs are data compressed
as well.

Anybody know?

David Correia
www.Celebrationsound.com
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 6:46:04 PM

>I'd guess that the large, Clear Channel rock stations with their limited
>playlists play songs off hard drives. Bet the songs are data compressed
>as well.

>Anybody know?

>David Correia

Most every station today uses some sort of radio automation/DJ software
with most audio coming from disk. Products like AudioVault, Dalet, WAV
Cart etc. With disk space not being such a cost thing these days more
and more are going uncompressed however many haven't made the switch
yet so there are likely stations still using MPEG layer 2 or Layer 3
(aka MP3) compression though Layer 2 was more common. Some DJs still
play CDs though, particulaly the smallish indies.
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 10:21:53 PM

Jim Gilliland wrote:

> Jay Roberts wrote:
> > I'm wondering if anyone could tell me if the CD-Text info (album and artist
> > names, song titles, length of songs) electronically embedded in most music
> > CDs is important to radio stations - do they use it?
> < ...snip.. >

> Probably not. Many stations don't use players that even display the
> information, and the vast majority of commercial CDs still don't provide
> any CD-Text, so most stations aren't accustomed to paying any attention
> to it.
> < ..snip... >

Long ago I was told one of the best thing is to have a clear, easy
to read play list (with times) on the back cover. Complex graphics
and low contrast make it harder for the DJ/play list maker.

I'm guessing that's still true, though I seem to have a ton of CDs in
my collection with very hard to read "creative" play lists.

Later...

Ron Capik
August 16, 2005 12:02:34 AM

On Aug 15, 2005, Jay Roberts <Jay@Roberts.com> commented:

> I'm wondering if anyone could tell me if the CD-Text info (album and artist
> names, song titles, length of songs) electronically embedded in most music
> CDs is important to radio stations - do they use it?
>------------------------------snip>------------------------------<

In addition to what everybody else says (most of which I agree with), my
feeling about CD+Text is, it costs almost nothing to include, and is
appreciated by people who know what it is. So I'd say, yeah, go ahead and
put it in, as long as it doesn't cost you much more.

For the record (no pun intended), a lot of new CDs pressed and/or distributed
by the CBS/Sony labels do include CD+Text, but that would figure, since it
was something invented by Sony. I wish all labels would include this
feature, but it's one of these things that never totally caught on, despite
the fact that it's a very good idea.

--MFW
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 12:34:22 AM

"Ron Capik" <r.capik@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> Long ago I was told one of the best thing is to have a clear, easy
> to read play list (with times) on the back cover. Complex graphics
> and low contrast make it harder for the DJ/play list maker.
>
> I'm guessing that's still true, though I seem to have a ton of CDs in
> my collection with very hard to read "creative" play lists.

What Ron says is still true. A few other important things:

1) The artist and title should be on the spine in *easy to read* lettering.
Otherwise the disc might as well not be on the shelves.

2) The disc itself should have the artist and title lettered on it, not just
a cute abstract swirl. If the disc and jewel box ever get separated from one
another, if the requisite info isn't on the disc, it will never find its way
home.

3) No #$%^&% hidden tracks.

4) If there are any dirty words on the disc, there should be a sticker
telling DJs about them on the cover, something like "Language warning, track
4: F--k". In the USA at the moment there's a big brouhaha over indecency on
air, and while I think it's a silly brouhaha myself, the FCC takes it good
and seriously, and the fines just went up to half-a-million bucks, payable
by station and, maybe, DJ (the language in the law is ambiguous). That could
put a station out of business. So warn the jocks.

5) Including a card, jewel-case sized, including a rundown of songs and a
description of each (1 sentence max, e.g. "up-tempo blugrass song about a
goat') will be valuable to the DJs.

6) Any included biography sheet, photo, reviews, list of who you've opened
for, etc., will be recycled immediately on opening the envelope, so sending
them to radio stations is a total waste of money. Save those for sending to
places where you want to get booked. At most, a cover letter saying
something like, "We are enclosing the CD 'Naked in the Bank' by
country-and-western singer Vance Gaboon; we hope you find it appropriate for
your station [program]. Thank you for your time." It could be a half-page.

Peace,
Paul
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 3:01:30 AM

In article <of2Me.7788$kz6.336334@news20.bellglobal.com>,
"Jay Roberts" <Jay@Roberts.com> wrote:

> I'm wondering if anyone could tell me if the CD-Text info (album and artist
> names, song titles, length of songs) electronically embedded in most music
> CDs is important to radio stations - do they use it?

Most CDs do NOT use CD-Text, and a majority of players don't recognize
it anyway. Many people mistake for CD-Text what happens when their
computer player looks things up on CDDB without a prompt, but it is not
info that is on the actual CD. Most label CDs do, however, have ISRC
codes to help with rights management. Those are not readable by consumer
players and contain no info that would be useful to a consumer even if
they did.

--
Jay Frigoletto
Mastersuite

>I'd guess that the large, Clear Channel rock stations with their limited
>playlists play songs off hard drives. Bet the songs are data compressed
>as well.
>
>Anybody know?

Yup, it's true. Up here in Alaska they get their pre-programmed shlock
straight down the pipe from the Death Star. Luckily the DJs are local
and are more than happy to put you on the air if you show up and have
a good song and fit in the talking / drivetime schedule.

But you'll never get upstream, even if you have a local hit. There is
no mechanism for them to put you into other stations.

BTW -

I'd like to see the $10,000,000 payola settlement in New York go to
all the artists that didn't get played. Barring that, how about
$10,000,000 of free advertising for independent music?

Somehow I don't think it will happen. But I can dream. . .

Kurt Riemann
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 8:55:50 AM

In news:o f2Me.7788$kz6.336334@news20.bellglobal.com,
Jay Roberts <Jay@Roberts.com> typed:

> I'm wondering if anyone could tell me if the CD-Text info (album and
> artist names, song titles, length of songs) electronically embedded
> in most music CDs is important to radio stations - do they use it?

Well, I´d say, CD-Text doesn´t hurt anyone, so why not burn your CDs with
it? Even if the majority of consumer CD-players still don´t support it, most
computer CD/DVD drives (build since 2000 or 2001) can read CD-Text. That may
get relevant/interesting when importing CD tracks to a computer system -
assumed the drive and the software provide support for CD-Text - since the
person importing the tracks to the computer´s HD doesn´t have to type the
track titles etc. into the system for easier recognization of the file.
I´ve always burned my audio CDs with CDtext and never ran into problems
because of it. Most people don´t notice it´s there, but there may come a
situation when it makes sense to have added CD-Text info on your CD...

> I'm asking because I'm going to have a short run of CDs of my
> original songs manufactured

Check with the manufacturer, if CD-Text makes extra cost.

> but my older CD burner and Adaptec
> software don't seem to support programming the CD-Text info into the
> CD.

How old is your CD burner? What brand/model? There are older drives that
don´t support CD-Text (maybe they do with a firmware update). Try a
different and current software - e.g. get a demo version of "Nero Burning
ROM" (http://nero.com ) and try, if it works with that...

> I'm planning on submitting a number of the CDs to radio stations
> / programs, so I'm wondering if it's generally important to them that
> this info be there on the CD, if they use it for identification when

I don´t know, if radio stations care about CD-Text or not, but as I said
before, I think it does not hurt to put CD-Text on your CD anyway. But I
have to share the experience of the repliers, that I have only experienced
very few commercial CDs with CD-Text on them. As I own a CD player that
supports CD-Text, I´m always happy when I buy a CD that has CDtext on it...
;-)

> airing songs. If so, I guess I'll have to get a new burner / software
> to make the master. I'd appreciate any info anyone could provide.

If your CD burner is so old, that it doesn´t even support CDtext, you might
consider getting a newer (and faster) one ;-) DVD burners have dropped to
ridiculous price levels and I think all of them support CDtext. Another nice
side effect of a DVD burner is, that you can backup much bigger amounts of
data than with a CD burner.
Don´t get me wrong, I still use my old 6x Teac burner (doesn´t even have RW
capability) and get along with it, but if you can afford a DVD burner, get
it anyway...

Phil
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 9:16:49 AM

Marc Wielage <mfw@musictrax.com> typed:

> my feeling about CD+Text is, it costs almost nothing to include, and
> is appreciated by people who know what it is. So I'd say, yeah, go
> ahead and put it in, as long as it doesn't cost you much more.

Exactly! I never experienced myself or heard of any problems caused by
CDtext. The only thing that can happen, is that someone is pleasantly
surprised by putting in another CD that has such a practical feature
included.

> figure, since it was something invented by Sony. I wish all labels
> would include this feature, but it's one of these things that never
> totally caught on, despite the fact that it's a very good idea.

It´s a pity, there are only so relatively few commercial CDs released with
CDtext, but it´s nice to hear, the number is increasing meanwhile. What I
don´t really understand is, why there are so few consumer CD players that
can show CDtext. It can´t be so much more expensive for the manufacturers to
include that little feature - especially in times where MP3s can be played
and ID3 tags can well be displayed...

Phil
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 3:43:46 PM

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 11:04:51 -0400, Jay Roberts <Jay@Roberts.com> wrote:

> I'm wondering if anyone could tell me if the CD-Text info (album and
> artist
> names, song titles, length of songs) electronically embedded in most
> music
> CDs is important to radio stations - do they use it?
>
> I'm asking because I'm going to have a short run of CDs of my original
> songs
> manufactured, but my older CD burner and Adaptec software don't seem to
> support programming the CD-Text info into the CD. I'm planning on
> submitting
> a number of the CDs to radio stations / programs, so I'm wondering if
> it's
> generally important to them that this info be there on the CD, if they
> use
> it for identification when airing songs. If so, I guess I'll have to get
> new burner / software to make the master. I'd appreciate any info anyone
> could provide. Thank you.
>
> -Jay Roberts

Programs that will write discs with CD-Text are available free - I would
suggest that you look at EAC or Feurio for audio CD writing.

I would also consider using ISRC codes. Many CD players can actually
output ISRC information on the digital data stream for logging purposes -
even cheap domestic players will do this. One way of getting hold of a set
of ISRC codes is to register with CD Baby who are an online record store.
It costs a little money to register but they will set up a web page for
your album which will feature downloadable samples and pictures of the
cover. They can also put your music onto the various legal paid for
download sites.

If you want an idea of what they do then take a look at
http://cdbaby.com/cd/sweetedge or go to http://www.cdbaby.net for
information on how to submit your CD.

Cheers.

James.
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 7:17:51 PM

On Aug 15, 2005, Philipp Wachtel <phw@gmx.de> commented:

> What I don´t really understand is, why there are so few consumer CD players
> that can show CDtext.
>------------------------------snip>------------------------------<

I own a couple: one is a Sony CDPCX-450 400-disc changer, and the other is
my Alpine car audio system. Both display all of the CD+Text info, usually as
scrolling graphics on a front-panel readout.

It's especially useful in the car, just to let me glance down and say, "oh,
*that's* the artist that did this song."

That's yet another useful feature of XM Radio and Sirius Radio: you can
quickly see the name of the current song and artist playing. Unfortunately,
it doesn't make the music sound any better, which is a big drawback for
satellite radio.

--MFW
!