marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
According to a news item on the inquirer website, IBM have produced a fix for the 60 & 75 series HDDs to stop them fouling up... long time at work this...

Trust me I know what I'm doing... ooops, grab the cat...

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
<A HREF="http://www.storagereview.com/php/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=DeathStar" target="_new"> DeathStar Fix </A>

The loving are the daring!

TDH

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2001
Well I am a lucky person.. =) I have four deathstar drives.. All of which have been RMA'd at least once. I have 2 30GB 75Gxps and 2 45GB 60Gxps.. The 45GB drives were RMA'd about a year ago. They have a build date of July 2001. I downloaded the first util from IBM and it told me that I needed to update the BIOS on the drives. So I downloaded the correct BIOS file and booted to the floopy and ran the test, it came back that the drives did not need to be updated. A bit of troubleshooting verified that the bios level on my drives was newer than the "fix" for IBM. Wierd part is that the drives are a year and half old, yet the bios fix is fairly new. So I have older drives with a newer BIOS than the latest one.. Go figure this out.. Really confused.. Anyone else experience this?? TYIA..

TDH

Derek1970

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2003
I have 2 40gig 60GXPs that died on me within the same couple of weeks. I shipped both over a week ago and Hitchi has not received the drives as of yet. Did it take a long time to get replacements?

BTW - my WD raptor drive (single) is faster than my 60GXP drives running RAID 0.

Werner

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2003
I recently RMA'd a 20 GB 60GXP to Hitachi, it took about 3 weeks to get a replacement. I also checked for the update on
IBM's website, the initial check indicated that the drive needed the update. But when I downloaded the fix, the installer
told me no fix was required. I checked the file version, and the fix was older than the Rev. that was installed on the RMA'd drive.
Apparently Hitachi is upgrading the firmware when the send repaired drives, which makes sense.