Micro PCs ... Bad for gaming?

Nijle4u

Distinguished
May 24, 2001
All,

I'd like to hear from some people who run P4 or Athalon Micro PC's made for gaming. Cooling and the complete lack of any power supply over 200 watts are my only concerns with these PCs.

I have fallen in love with this case:

http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20030804/case-14.html

And would like to use it as my primary game box.

So is the 200 watt power supply enough to run a 2600 XP barton, 50X CD/DVD combo drive, ATI video card, ATI Tv Capture Card and SB Live ? along with one 60 gig HD?

I also plan on adding another 60 Gig HD as this PC is also a PVR.

Just seems like 200 is not enough! Are there any mini power supplys that i can get that put out more than 200 watts?

Any info you guys can give would be appreciated.

THANKS!

-Brad

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You could consider something similar but a bit fancier, like <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=11-119-018-01.JPG/11-119-018-03.JPG/11-119-018-04.JPG/11-119-018-06.JPG/11-119-018-07.JPG" target="_new">This Coolermaster Case</A> which uses a full sized ATX power supply and a Micro ATX board.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Nijle4u

Distinguished
May 24, 2001
That could be an option, but i really wanted to get the case i showed above. :) I know i've seen somewhere where people have used micro ATX powersupplys in gaming micro ATX cases and its all worked out great. I'm looking for anyone who has experience in doing just that.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Since I do computer repair, I'm mostly familiar with situations where it didn't work :frown:

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>