which Sound Card

Last response: in Home Audio
August 16, 2005 10:05:40 AM

I might be opening a studio next year(Just a small one to basicaly
teach myself and fool arounf in what would be a good sound card for my
P.C) in fact what would be a economical vocal mic

More about : sound card

August 16, 2005 11:05:39 PM

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 06:05:40 -0700, SoundsLikeEntertainment wrote:

> I might be opening a studio next year(Just a small one to basicaly
> teach myself and fool arounf in what would be a good sound card for my
> P.C) in fact what would be a economical vocal mic

I get good results from an M-Audio delta 44 and a Rhode Nt1 mic. Both of
which are inexpensive.

--
Jafar Calley
Producer - http://moonlife-records.com

The Delta 44 is an excellent choice. I have one in new condition (in
box with all materials) I was going to put on E-bay. If interested let
me know.

max
August 17, 2005 6:16:08 PM

SoundsLikeEntertainment wrote:
> I might be opening a studio next year(Just a small one to basicaly
> teach myself and fool arounf in what would be a good sound card for my
> P.C) in fact what would be a economical vocal mic

M-Audio Delta 2496
Audio-Technica AT2020

You'll need a mic preamp too, you're looking at M-Audio again or
a Mackie 1202 VLZ (yes, it's a mixer, but (a) that will come in useful
sooner than you expect and (b) it's surprisingly good value for money as
4 low noise mic preamps)

--
Anahata
anahata@treewind.co.uk -+- http://www.treewind.co.uk

"SoundsLikeEntertainment" <brawley_j@hotmail.com> wrote in message ...

> I might be opening a studio next year...

I think you may have a terminology problem. ;-)
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 8:35:52 AM

What do you mean a terminology problem
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 5:18:06 PM

SoundsLikeEntertainment wrote:

> What do you mean a terminology problem

When ppl talk of 'opening a studio' it normally refers to a commercial
outfit - as in 'opening for trade' - not a bedroom / back room setup.

Graham
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 4:35:49 AM

It is going to be a commercial outfit its just that I am not going to
be the engineer (I am into live sound) I am just paying for it I have
yet to employ the engineer and architects etc for design. I was just
looking for a bit of info before i spend all my money.
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 9:58:59 AM

look It does not matter how much money because it is Rands (the South
African currency) you cant just directly convert to dollars. The South
African music market is small (it is however our fastest growing
market) so I will not have a main market and for the time, deal with
what bussines ever I/we could get but in future I would like to do
music projects. Maybe you were right I meant an economical top end card
and mic. and by economical I ment good value for money I did not mean
chaep.
so Im realy sorry for the confusion.
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 1:23:15 PM

In article <1124436949.178631.118480@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com> brawley_j@hotmail.com writes:

> It is going to be a commercial outfit its just that I am not going to
> be the engineer (I am into live sound) I am just paying for it I have
> yet to employ the engineer and architects etc for design. I was just
> looking for a bit of info before i spend all my money.

Well, after you spend the money on architecture and design, the cost
of a sound card is going to be chump change. I'd start by interviewing
engineers. When you find one, or a few, who you'd like to work with,
get their input on both design and equipment selection. Your cart is
way ahead of your horse at this point.

August 19, 2005 1:54:11 PM

"SoundsLikeEntertainment" <brawley_j@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1124436949.178631.118480@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> It is going to be a commercial outfit its just that I am not going to
> be the engineer (I am into live sound) I am just paying for it I have
> yet to employ the engineer and architects etc for design. I was just
> looking for a bit of info before i spend all my money.

How much is "all my money"?

Entertainment... If you're worried about a sound card and an "economical"
vocal mic, but you're opening a commercial studio, planning to hire a staff
and pay for acoustical design... I was still right. ;-) Let's set priorities....

With your "economical" vocal mic and "good" PC sound card, how many
tracks you would be planning on having the ability to record simultaneously
with your new "commercial outfit" ? What would the main thrust of your
outfit be... custom music projects? Demos? Voiceovers? Arranging?

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s DOT com