Alternate to Peak or ProTools

Last response: in Home Audio
August 17, 2005 7:00:09 AM

Hi all,

Wish to record with an Apogee Mini-Me on a Powerbook, and I'm tired of
hooking up the M-Box just to use Protools. Tried Peak but it's not very
intuitive, as least for me.

Anyone have other suggestions? Simple one or two track recording and
editing is all that's required, and bouncing down to MP3... or I'll do
that with another program afterwards.

Thanks for thoughts.

RG
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 8:59:54 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,comp.os.linux.misc,alt.os.linux.suse,cakewalk.audio,alt.os.windows-xp (More info?)

Funny stuff... I guess. I only wanted a suggestion for an alternate
audio recording and editing program.

Gecko

In article <1124251121.967398.33870@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"Tomas Dietz" <xilo_fone@yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> The aiport modul failed with the following message:
>
> /lib/modules/2.4.20-ben9/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/airport.o:
> init module: No such device
> Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
> including invalid IO or IRQ parameters
>
> I created an alias (eth1) for the card and ifconfig eth1 reported the
> following (surprise ;) :
>
> eth1: error fetching interface information: Device not found
>
> 4.0 Xfree 4.3.0 with a Nvidia GeForce4 420 Go
>
> Update: Xfree from Testing/Unstable works fine with the GeForce FX
> Go5200 (GeForce4 420 Go), you don't need to compile your own version.
>
> Julian Scheel has started an online petition for nvidia linux driver
> for ppc. You can sign it here.
>
> Note: A lot of readers reported problems with the CVS version of
> Xfree86. If you run into trouble during compiling, try the stable
> version of Xfree 4.3.x. It'll work :)
>
> 4.1 Installation
> It works! To get X working, try the following steps. If you use
> unstable/sid you can skip the first three steps.
>
> Step-by-Step instruction
>
> * get Xfree 4.3.0 from ftp://ftp.xfree86.org
> * read the Install-HOWTO and compile the sources
> * look if the nv driver compiles successfully
> * install the binaries
> * configure X or use my XF86Config
> * login from another box via ssh
> * startx and look at /var/log/XFree86.0.log
> * if X starts, ok. If not, look at the error messages
> * If you get an error like Could not load default font fixed,
> install xfonts-base via apt.
>
> If you use sid, you don't need to compile X from source. You can use
> the debian packages from Daniel Stone. To get the packages type apt-get
> install x-window-system. Update: With a recent (ben10) benh kernel
> you'll be able to quit and restart your Xsession without problems.
> Disadvantage: Your console will be limited to 80x30 characters after
> boot. Orion Buckminster was the first person who reported this issue on
> debian-powerpc.
>
> My XF86Config and the output of XFree86.0.log.Note: My color depth is
> 16Bit per default, but you can use 24Bit (according to Pander) without
> problems.
>
> 4.2 Configuration
> 4.2.1 Keyboard
> Note: Christophe Cattlegrid wrote very usefull information about X and
> keyboard mapping in his HOWTO, so I'll skip this. Have a look at his
> HOWTO (see Appendix) instead. I modified my .Xmodmap to get a usable
> german keyboard layout. I mapped for example [AltGr] on the [apple]
> key.
>

> Richard Gecko ha escrito:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Wish to record with an Apogee Mini-Me on a Powerbook, and I'm tired of
> > hooking up the M-Box just to use Protools. Tried Peak but it's not very
> > intuitive, as least for me.
> >
> > Anyone have other suggestions? Simple one or two track recording and
> > editing is all that's required, and bouncing down to MP3... or I'll do

August 17, 2005 5:52:48 PM

go to http://www.felttip.com/

and download sound studio..... try it and i bet you will love it and
pay the shareware fee.... i have been using it to record my stereo
mix to make CD's for people to remember and listen to their shows...
not quite top-40 ready, but pretty darned good! no need to dump OSX!!

it does not convert to mp3, but itunes does that readily....

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 03:00:09 GMT, Richard Gecko <geck@nomac.com>
wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Wish to record with an Apogee Mini-Me on a Powerbook, and I'm tired of
>hooking up the M-Box just to use Protools. Tried Peak but it's not very
>intuitive, as least for me.
>
>Anyone have other suggestions? Simple one or two track recording and
>editing is all that's required, and bouncing down to MP3... or I'll do
>that with another program afterwards.
>
>Thanks for thoughts.
>

>RG
August 17, 2005 6:15:38 PM

<tymish@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Actually there is a version of Audacity for Windows. It's free and well
> worth a try. Use this link.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=6...

Macs can't run Windows quite yet. I might buy one of those Powerbooks when
they finally do; they look pretty nice.

ss.
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 7:13:01 PM

On Aug 16, 2005, Richard Gecko <geck@nomac.com> commented:

> Wish to record with an Apogee Mini-Me on a Powerbook, and I'm tired of
> hooking up the M-Box just to use Protools. Tried Peak but it's not very
> intuitive, as least for me.
>------------------------------snip>------------------------------<

Peak just went to a new version, rechristened "Peak Pro," which overcomes
some of the problems and limitations of the old version. I think you'll find
it a little better to use.

The bad news is that they upped the price considerably, plus it now has a
permanent USB dongle. Still, in the absence of Spark, it's probably the best
widely-available 2-track editor for Mac OSX.

--MFW
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 7:50:00 PM

In article <geck-E637FA.22000816082005@newsclstr01.news.prodigy.com>,
geck@nomac.com (Richard Gecko) wrote:

> Wish to record with an Apogee Mini-Me on a Powerbook, and I'm tired of
> hooking up the M-Box just to use Protools. Tried Peak but it's not very
> intuitive, as least for me.
>
> Anyone have other suggestions? Simple one or two track recording and
> editing is all that's required, and bouncing down to MP3... or I'll do
> that with another program afterwards.

Assuming your Powerbook is a recent one running OSX, there's Amadeus II
http://www.hairersoft.com/Amadeus.html which I use a lot and which might
suit.

Alternatively there's a version of Audacity
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ for OSX.
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 8:01:22 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,comp.os.linux.misc,alt.os.linux.suse,cakewalk.audio,alt.os.windows-xp (More info?)

Thanks to all (most) for their suggestions. I'll give Amadeus and Sound
Studio a try..

Gecko
August 17, 2005 10:46:18 PM

I use DSP Quattro on OSX for mastering as an alternative to Peaks. If two
tracks are all you need, it's pretty straight forward. There's a demo
version you can try to see if it works the way you want to.
http://www.i3net.it/Products/dspQuattro/Asp/DemoDownloa...

Rich

--
www.richiebee.ca
www.funkydory.ca

"Richard Gecko" <geck@nomac.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Wish to record with an Apogee Mini-Me on a Powerbook, and I'm tired of
> hooking up the M-Box just to use Protools. Tried Peak but it's not very
> intuitive, as least for me.
>
> Anyone have other suggestions? Simple one or two track recording and
> editing is all that's required, and bouncing down to MP3... or I'll do
> that with another program afterwards.
>
> Thanks for thoughts.
>

> RG
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 1:04:03 AM

> There's also a version for Mac OSX if you look....

If you look, the OP was asking about a program for his Mac, which you have
only just now mentioned.

ss.
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 1:01:10 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,comp.os.linux.misc,alt.os.linux.suse,cakewalk.audio,alt.os.windows-xp (More info?)

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 23:58:42 -0400, Tomas Dietz wrote
(in article <1124251121.967398.33870@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>):

> Easy...............
> Dump Protools and MacOS or OSx, install Linux and run ardour or
> Audacity and you will be all set.
>
> Here are instructions how.
> It's pretty intuitive if you just follow the instructions.
> Good Luck!!

SNIP!!

Thanks for my first chuckle of the day.

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com
August 19, 2005 6:40:06 PM

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 04:59:54 GMT, Richard Gecko <geck@nomac.com>
wrote:

>Funny stuff... I guess. I only wanted a suggestion for an alternate
>audio recording and editing program.
>
>Gecko

Pyramix by merging tech.
!