Sign in with
Your question

Lost "Safely remove hardware" in mobo swap / update

Last response: in Windows 7
a b $ Windows 7
July 23, 2012 12:48:29 PM

I lost a couple of parts of my Asus P7P55D Deluxe motherboard after a lightning storm. The board still works, but I lost the audio and the Ethernet ports. (Poor, poor pitiful me!)

The closest replacement that I could get was the P7P55D-E deluxe (note the added -E). Lost the x4 PCI-E slot in that swap, but I'm not using it anymore. The system booted immediately with the new board and the old OS. But after I installed all of the drivers for that board in the Asus site, I lost the ability to safely remove SATA drives. Not only don't the internal drives show up, as they used to, but when I add a drive to one of my hotswap bays, it can't be stopped, either. The bays are attached to the southbridge ports, which have been set to AHCI mode.

My best guess is the Intel Rapid Storage Tech drivers. Installing these put an icon in my icon corral that continually informs me that the RST service is not started (even though Services shows it as running). I'm planning on falling back to my most recent OS backup, testing that I get the safe removal icon, and adding drivers one at a time until it goes away. Then blame the last driver.

Does anyone have another, or a better, idea of what would make this ability go away? It was really convenient. Aside from being able to remove a drive I had just put in the hot-swap bay, if I booted the machine with a drive in that bay it was still removable, since the system treated all SATA drives as removable.

Hey, where did my custom smilies go? There was one of banging on the machine with a mallet!
July 23, 2012 12:57:51 PM

The problem is that occasionally, for reasons unknown, the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon can disappear. Even though there are devices installed that require it - it's nowhere to be found.

When this happens, what I've found is that you can click on Start, Run..., and type in:

RunDll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll

And press OK.

That will bring up the "Safely Remove Hardware" dialog:

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 23, 2012 4:33:25 PM

tjc1937 said:
The problem is that occasionally, for reasons unknown, the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon can disappear. Even though there are devices installed that require it - it's nowhere to be found.

When this happens, what I've found is that you can click on Start, Run..., and type in:

RunDll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll

And press OK.

That will bring up the "Safely Remove Hardware" dialog:

Will try that tonight. But I have attached a thumb drive and the icon appears. When I open it, it has only the thumb drive.
m
l
!