Pro Tools Software with out the hardware?

Last response: in Home Audio
August 17, 2005 10:47:43 AM

I am interesting in experimenting with Pro Tools software editor and
would like to try it, but the demo they offer only runs on Win 98 and I
gave that up a long time ago. I am on xp pro now and from the looks of
things I have to buy some hardware as well just to test the new
software, is this correct? Or is there a work around?

It is amazing at the entry level cost of PT HD My guess, $15 - 20,000
and thats alot for my needs.

I have been using Vegas Video and Sound Forge for years, it's working
great, but, I'd like to get to try PT to see how it differs from the
editors I now use.. any suggestions..

OK I know the 002 or Mbox which is pretty cheap, but I just thought
there may be a way to check out with out buying hardware right now..

I appreciate any input on this .

Dave
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 10:55:13 AM

This should still run on XP. Load the demo software (I assume it's Pro
Tools Free) onto your XP Box. Run it in compatibility mode. Do this by
finding the Pro Tools ( .exe) file , right click and pick preferences
and set the compatibility for Win 98. If you need more help use XPs
help and search for compatibility mode. It even run fine without
setting the compatibility mode but this should help.
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 12:23:32 PM

You could buy an Mbox used for $350 and try it out - or go to a local
demo studio and rent an hour of studio time for $25. Personally, I
would do the latter as you would learn a lot more having someone show
you the ropes with all the available plug-ins,etc, than by trying the
slimmed down free version.
August 17, 2005 8:24:40 PM

or get M-Audio soundcard for well below 100usd and M-Powered Protools for
below 400usd.

..jukka

"cruisemates" <editor@cruisemates.com> wrote in message
> You could buy an Mbox used for $350 and try it out - or go to a local
> demo studio and rent an hour of studio time for $25. Personally, I
> would do the latter as you would learn a lot more having someone show
> you the ropes with all the available plug-ins,etc, than by trying the
> slimmed down free version.

August 18, 2005 1:01:52 AM

Oh, no need to apologize; if anyone owes an apology it's a company that
offers what amounts to a hobbled trial version of their product, designed to
work only with an obsolete operating system. Seem pretty silly to me....

I do like Pro Tools; I work on an 002 rack and I'm extremely happy with it
but I'm just a songwriter working in my basement. It meets my recording
needs....

malachi

<tymish@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Wow, most software works fine this way. Sorry if I gave erroneous
> advice. Another reason I stay away from Pro Tools. The only reason I
> would have it is if I was running a full time commercial studio and
> clents expect it.

Anonymous
August 18, 2005 1:55:14 PM

On 17 Aug 2005 06:47:43 -0700, "davidkir@gmail.com"
<davidkir@gmail.com> wrote:

>I have been using Vegas Video and Sound Forge for years, it's working
>great, but, I'd like to get to try PT to see how it differs from the
>editors I now use.. any suggestions..

There are several advanced multitrack programs that don't shoot
themselves in the foot with hardware restrictions. Unless "industry
standard" is a factor, choose one of those.
February 23, 2010 10:25:12 PM

i was wondering if anybody could help me with pro tools M-POWERED 8 software
ive had that soft ware for nearly a week and i still cant install it everytime i srt 1 problem out another one comes out
i was wondering if anybody could help me with a problem with the instaltion everytime i go to install it it says "M-AUDIO hardware not found make sure it is turned on and connected"
why does this happen someone please HELP ME i would very much apperishate it
thank you
!