Dumb question windows 7

johnjohnson

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
I know this is a dumb question but i just want to make sure. If your building a PC you have to buy the really expensive full version of windows 7 right?

I want windows 7 but don't want to pay for the full version, I may just go with XP, what do you guys think XP not too bad?

Solution
There are two ways you can go:

■OEM version - With this version, your Windows 7 is tied to one PC and cannot be used on any other PC. This includes if you have to swap out your motherboard. Also, you either buy a 32-bit or 64-bit version. You don't get both like the retail versions.

■Upgrade version - with this version, you must already own a previous copy of Vista or XP that has a valid, activated key. You don't have to have it installed (although that requires some "hoops" you have to go through, but they're not that bad). Do a Google search on "clean install windows 7 upgrade" and it will tell you how to do this.

Here's one: http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp

BTW, as sneaky as this might seem, it's...

isamuelson

Distinguished
There are two ways you can go:

■OEM version - With this version, your Windows 7 is tied to one PC and cannot be used on any other PC. This includes if you have to swap out your motherboard. Also, you either buy a 32-bit or 64-bit version. You don't get both like the retail versions.

■Upgrade version - with this version, you must already own a previous copy of Vista or XP that has a valid, activated key. You don't have to have it installed (although that requires some "hoops" you have to go through, but they're not that bad). Do a Google search on "clean install windows 7 upgrade" and it will tell you how to do this.

Here's one: http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp

BTW, as sneaky as this might seem, it's legal as long as you own a legitimate copy of XP or Vista (which means your key is genuine and has been activated).

That's it. The OEM is a "full" version and does NOT require that you have a previous copy of Windows. However, you're going to have to decide which do you want: 32-bit or 64-bit.

With the Upgrade version, you get both 32-bit and 64-bit BUT you have to already own a previous copy of Windows (XP or Vista).

Hopefully that helps! :hello:

Solution

isamuelson

Distinguished

No problem. I did forget to mention (but I'm assuming you already know) that both those options are MUCH cheaper than going for the full retail version.