of a 1/8" TRS that also has a blocking cap?

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com
6 answers Last reply
More about commercially audio cable built
  1. Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.video.production,rec.arts.movies.production.sound (More info?)

    Shure makes one as well. It also has a transformer. Kind of wish they
    made one without it.

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=154878&is=REG&addedTroughType=search
  2. Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.video.production,rec.arts.movies.production.sound (More info?)

    "Ty Ford" wrote ...
    > I've seen a lot of folks makeup cables to feed mono sources
    > (mics) into mini TRS stereo inputs on camcorders. Hosa
    > makes one, but it doesn't include the blocking cap that blocks
    > the bias voltage some cameras put out.
    >
    > Anyone seen a premade cable with a XLR-F pin 2 that feeds
    > both tip and ring of a 1/8" TRS that also has a blocking cap?

    Markertek appears to sell one: Part# XLF-H8-10 $49.95
    "TecNec Pro XLR Mic To 3.5mm Mini Cables for DV Cameras"

    "TecNec's exclusive mic cable design with on-board electronics
    allows prosumer camcorders to interface with professional
    microphones. Blocking capacitors built into the cable eliminate
    the 6-volt DC found on camcorder mic input jacks, eliminating
    hum. Built with Neutrik XLR connectors and TecNec Mic-BC
    shielded audio cable. 10 foot length."

    They appear to be charging ~$40 extra to install a DC-blocking
    capacitor in an otherwise conventional cable. But it must be
    a REALLY GOOD capacitor! :-)

    OTOH, my web page appears to be pretty popular for DIY...
    http://www.rcrowley.com/CamAdapt.htm
  3. Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.video.production,rec.arts.movies.production.sound (More info?)

    marcoleavitt wrote ...
    > Shure makes one as well. It also has a transformer.
    > Kind of wish they made one without it.
    >
    > http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=154878&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

    That is just an A-95 transformer connected to a short
    cable via the old-fashioned "coaxial-mic" connector.

    You can buy a XLR to 3.5mm mini-phone cable in lots of
    places. But most of them won't have the DC isolation from
    the transformer (or from a series capacitor in the XLR barrel).

    I'm not sure that particular transformer is really appropriate
    for a Lo-Z to consumer camcorder application, anyway.
    The unbalanced (output) side of that transformer is Hi-Z
    (like 40-50Kohms) which is a poor match with the Lo-Z
    input impedance of the average camcorder (likely 5K or
    lower).
  4. Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.video.production,rec.arts.movies.production.sound (More info?)

    http://www.trewaudio.com/catalog/items/item276.htm

    but ask them to make it right angle
    they have mono as well

    --
    Oleg Kaizerman (gebe) Hollyland

    "Ty Ford" <tyreeford@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've seen a lot of folks makeup cables to feed mono sources (mics) into
    > mini
    > TRS stereo inputs on camcorders. Hosa makes one, but it doesn't include
    > the
    > blocking cap that blocks the bias voltage some cameras put out.
    >
    > Anyone seen a premade cable with a XLR-F pin 2 that feeds both tip and
    > ring
    > of a 1/8" TRS that also has a blocking cap?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Ty Ford
    >

    > -- Ty Ford's equipment reviews, audio samples, rates and other
    > audiocentric
    > stuff are at www.tyford.com

  5. Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.video.production,rec.arts.movies.production.sound (More info?)

    On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 13:19:35 -0400, Richard Crowley wrote
    (in article <de2fv8$105$1@news01.intel.com>):

    > I'm not sure that particular transformer is really appropriate
    > for a Lo-Z to consumer camcorder application, anyway.
    > The unbalanced (output) side of that transformer is Hi-Z
    > (like 40-50Kohms) which is a poor match with the Lo-Z
    > input impedance of the average camcorder (likely 5K or
    > lower).

    That's also been my experience.

    Ty Ford

    stuff are at www.tyford.com
  6. Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.video.production,rec.arts.movies.production.sound (More info?)

    I only point it out because it does indeed block DC voltage.

Pro Audio Audio Cable