Burning Speed And Quality

superJess

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2003
This is kind of a generic question. How much truth is there to the theory that burning at slower speeds (no matter what your drive speed is) is better?

I belong to a group where we trade audio CDs and SVCDs regularly. Burning on the fly is looked down upon because there is a greater chance for errors. It also seems that burning at high speeds is looked down upon by some. Many suggest burning SVCDs at 4X and audio CDs at slower speeds too (never burning on the fly).

I have followed these ideas blindly for some time - usually burning SVCDs at 8X and audio CDs at 12X. When I burn them for myself I always burn at 24X (my drive's speed) and I've never had any problems. Is it all a myth?

I mean, I can imagine speed could make some difference in the number of errors, but if a drive can handle 24X why should I assume it can handle 8X better? Can anyone shed light on this concept or offer up opinions?

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
If you use good quality media, then it's completely myth.

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig & 3DMark score</A></b>

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
I heard the opposite, that If you burn at 1x the laser stays at one place for too long and that ain't good for quality.

Roses are <font color=red>red</font color=red>, violets are <font color=blue>blue</font color=blue>, post something stupid and I won't reply to you!

dinkster9

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2001
I think this issue is a myth, but as with any mechanical device, there is always a sweet spot where operation seems to run smoother for no inherant reason. Hard to explain, but using a car's engine as an example, it might idle better at 1000rpms instead of the 650rpms set by factory, or another analogy, you might have a less bumpy ride at say 67mph compaired to 55mph, not depending on road conditions, just the different frequencies everything is harmonizing at.

Anyway, Its all about good media. With good media burning a music cd at 48x plays like a factory fresh cd, on the other hand with cheap media burning at even say 12x still produces many errors.

I can up with a little calculation that seems to work well with the media and drive i use. (this was for my older 32x drive) Using decient (middle of the line) disks rated at 1-32x I would usually burn not full cds of data at 24x, if the cd was totally full and had to be finalized to hold all 700mb or if it was a music cd i would burn at 16x. These speeds created almost no errors, so call it a myth, but i guess i'm supersticous then. With my new 48x burner and 48x cd's when burning at 48x seemed to work just fine but i've only used it for music disks so far, haven't tried a 700mb video file at that speed yet.

<font color=purple>A7n8xDX2.0|B2500+@200x11=3200+(2.2ghz)(1.775v)Corsair512twinxpc3200llpt(2-2-2-6)R9700P(stock)160Gx2WD7200RPM 8MB HD|Enermax460W|T:43C@N,50C@FL,MB 28C|3DMark2001 17087|3DMark2003 5134</font color=purple>

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i usually burn all data/music/movies that i will need to use a lot at the speed that provides max without BP activation which in my case (PC case that is ;) is 8x. never had any prablemas, still listening CDs i made 3 yago, and using CDs with data made 4 yago.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

darnoc

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2003
Never burn on the fly. Always extract audio data first using a program like Exact Audio Copy and then burn the disc. Because of the improved reliability of CD-RW drives today I don't think it is necessary to burn a a slower speed. But I do think that on the fly burning is problematic.

Conrad

I didn't buy my 40x burner to burn at 1x, but if you append a disk and add more information to a multisession disk, the added information to the disk I always burn at a lower rate. Any straight burn disk, I always burn at 40x the maximum I can burn at.

<b><font color=purple>Listing your system specs, will greatly aid us, in being able to help you solve your problem.</font color=purple></b>

OH also, Burning on the Fly, is not a problem, If: you don't have any auto programs running in the background, like Auto-Protect Anti-Virus programs, or Spyware and you've ended task on all running programs in the Task Manager, except Explorer and Systray, before activating your burning program, and you've matched the burn rate to the DVDROMs or CDROMs read speed, For Example; you probably won't end up with a flawless burn at 40x if the DVDROM drive only reads at 16x.

<b><font color=purple>Listing your system specs, will greatly aid us, in being able to help you solve your problem.</font color=purple></b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by 4ryan6 on 10/15/03 09:20 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

lunitic

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2003
I heard from some audiophiles that small variations in recording speed are audible. Such variations can occur when burn-proof/justlink or whatever kicks in. Maybe such variations are more likely at higher burning speed. In any case these variations occur only on standard cd-players since these are not cached.