Sidewinder strategic commander

Hi, I have a sidewinder strategic commander, how do I get
this thing to work under windows xp pro, it is detected but
thats all, drivers are installed but how do I program the
thing? and use it in Age of Empires II
11 answers Last reply
More about sidewinder strategic commander

    Microsoft tell me that this device does not work under
    windows xp, the support on this device is supposed to be
    till 2006. MS does not have software for windows xp for
    it.I will in the future not ever buy any microsoft gaming
    devices. Because if MS decides you need to upgrade your OS
    then don't support any hardware you may have purchased. In
    South africa this hardware is not cheap.

    I'd be interested in knowing where you saw that this device isn't supported
    in Windows XP. This device wasn't specifically made for Windows XP, but in
    the test lab it has always functioned just fine. Can you give me some idea
    of the hardware you have in your system? At very least the USB chipset you
    are connecting to. Also what steps are you taking to install the device? Did
    you install the accompanying software? If you discover that you have a USB
    controller that uses a VIA chipset you most likely need to update your USB
    drivers. Let me know I'd be glad to help.

    Joshua Smith
    DirectInput and OpenGL Test Labs
    Microsoft
    -----

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security

    > Microsoft tell me that this device does not work under
    > windows xp, the support on this device is supposed to be
    > till 2006. MS does not have software for windows xp for
    > it.I will in the future not ever buy any microsoft gaming
    > devices. Because if MS decides you need to upgrade your OS
    > then don't support any hardware you may have purchased. In
    > South africa this hardware is not cheap.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    Hi Craig,

    Did you install the software from the driver CD that came with the
    device? This device is classified as a "Device" in DirectInput so it won't
    show up in the Gaming Options Control Panel like a joystick, and most games
    don't recognize "Devices" so you have to use the accompanying software. If
    you misplaced your software you can follow this link to request a new CD.

    Hardware and Software replacement
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326246

    "Craig Sutherland" <craigsut@webmail.co.za> wrote in message
    > Hi, I have a sidewinder strategic commander, how do I get
    > this thing to work under windows xp pro, it is detected but
    > thats all, drivers are installed but how do I program the
    > thing? and use it in Age of Empires II
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    Thank you Joshua, I have lost the disk, I downloaded a file
    from the ms web site but that did not want to install. I
    have since followed the link that you have posted.

    The support personel in South Africa told me that the
    device will be picked up in XP but that it is not supported
    and wont work.

    again thank you for a decent response unlike the local one
    that I got.
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    They are incorrect. Feel free to pass them on to me if they have any
    questions. Also, let me know if you have any problems getting a replacement
    disk.

    > Thank you Joshua, I have lost the disk, I downloaded a file
    > from the ms web site but that did not want to install. I
    > have since followed the link that you have posted.
    >
    > The support personel in South Africa told me that the
    > device will be picked up in XP but that it is not supported
    > and wont work.
    >
    > again thank you for a decent response unlike the local one
    > that I got.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    When i try to install the sidewinder game pad software it tell me "can't find
    file,gamecard is not there or not install properly.

    "Joshua Smith [MSFT]" wrote:

    > I'd be interested in knowing where you saw that this device isn't supported
    > in Windows XP. This device wasn't specifically made for Windows XP, but in
    > the test lab it has always functioned just fine. Can you give me some idea
    > of the hardware you have in your system? At very least the USB chipset you
    > are connecting to. Also what steps are you taking to install the device? Did
    > you install the accompanying software? If you discover that you have a USB
    > controller that uses a VIA chipset you most likely need to update your USB
    > drivers. Let me know I'd be glad to help.
    >
    > Joshua Smith
    > DirectInput and OpenGL Test Labs
    > Microsoft
    > -----

    > <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Microsoft tell me that this device does not work under
    > > windows xp, the support on this device is supposed to be
    > > till 2006. MS does not have software for windows xp for
    > > it.I will in the future not ever buy any microsoft gaming
    > > devices. Because if MS decides you need to upgrade your OS
    > > then don't support any hardware you may have purchased. In
    > > South africa this hardware is not cheap.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    Part#90873 Serial #03546670 for window 95-98
    can i install on windows xp?
    "Joshua Smith [MSFT]" wrote:

    > I'd be interested in knowing where you saw that this device isn't supported
    > in Windows XP. This device wasn't specifically made for Windows XP, but in
    > the test lab it has always functioned just fine. Can you give me some idea
    > of the hardware you have in your system? At very least the USB chipset you
    > are connecting to. Also what steps are you taking to install the device? Did
    > you install the accompanying software? If you discover that you have a USB
    > controller that uses a VIA chipset you most likely need to update your USB
    > drivers. Let me know I'd be glad to help.
    >
    > Joshua Smith
    > DirectInput and OpenGL Test Labs
    > Microsoft
    > -----

    > <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Microsoft tell me that this device does not work under
    > > windows xp, the support on this device is supposed to be
    > > till 2006. MS does not have software for windows xp for
    > > it.I will in the future not ever buy any microsoft gaming
    > > devices. Because if MS decides you need to upgrade your OS
    > > then don't support any hardware you may have purchased. In
    > > South africa this hardware is not cheap.

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    How do i know i have a game card?
    I can't install the software for sidewinder game pad.

    "Joshua Smith [MSFT]" wrote:

    > Hi Craig,
    >
    > Did you install the software from the driver CD that came with the
    > device? This device is classified as a "Device" in DirectInput so it won't
    > show up in the Gaming Options Control Panel like a joystick, and most games
    > don't recognize "Devices" so you have to use the accompanying software. If
    > you misplaced your software you can follow this link to request a new CD.
    >
    > Hardware and Software replacement
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326246
    >
    > Joshua Smith
    > DirectInput and OpenGL Test Labs
    > Microsoft
    > -----

    > "Craig Sutherland" <craigsut@webmail.co.za> wrote in message
    > > Hi, I have a sidewinder strategic commander, how do I get
    > > this thing to work under windows xp pro, it is detected but
    > > thats all, drivers are installed but how do I program the
    > > thing? and use it in Age of Empires II

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    Hi,

    I've replied to the latest of your several posts. :-)

    Cheers,
    Jimmy.

    "sidewinder game pad" <sidewindergamepad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Part#90873 Serial #03546670 for window 95-98
    > can i install on windows xp?
    > "Joshua Smith [MSFT]" wrote:
    >
    >> I'd be interested in knowing where you saw that this device isn't supported
    >> in Windows XP. This device wasn't specifically made for Windows XP, but in
    >> the test lab it has always functioned just fine. Can you give me some idea
    >> of the hardware you have in your system? At very least the USB chipset you
    >> are connecting to. Also what steps are you taking to install the device? Did
    >> you install the accompanying software? If you discover that you have a USB
    >> controller that uses a VIA chipset you most likely need to update your USB
    >> drivers. Let me know I'd be glad to help.
    >>
    >> Joshua Smith
    >> DirectInput and OpenGL Test Labs
    >> Microsoft
    >> -----
    >>
    >> Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    >>
    >> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    >>
    >> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Microsoft tell me that this device does not work under
    >> > windows xp, the support on this device is supposed to be
    >> > till 2006. MS does not have software for windows xp for
    >> > it.I will in the future not ever buy any microsoft gaming
    >> > devices. Because if MS decides you need to upgrade your OS
    >> > then don't support any hardware you may have purchased. In
    >> > South africa this hardware is not cheap.

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    > When i try to install the sidewinder game pad software it tell me "can't find
    > file,gamecard is not there or not install properly.
    >
    > "Joshua Smith [MSFT]" wrote:
    >
    >> I'd be interested in knowing where you saw that this device isn't supported
    >> in Windows XP. This device wasn't specifically made for Windows XP, but in
    >> the test lab it has always functioned just fine. Can you give me some idea
    >> of the hardware you have in your system? At very least the USB chipset you
    >> are connecting to. Also what steps are you taking to install the device? Did
    >> you install the accompanying software? If you discover that you have a USB
    >> controller that uses a VIA chipset you most likely need to update your USB
    >> drivers. Let me know I'd be glad to help.
    >>
    >> Joshua Smith
    >> DirectInput and OpenGL Test Labs
    >> Microsoft
    >> -----
    >>
    >> Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    >>
    >> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    >>
    >> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Microsoft tell me that this device does not work under
    >> > windows xp, the support on this device is supposed to be
    >> > till 2006. MS does not have software for windows xp for
    >> > it.I will in the future not ever buy any microsoft gaming
    >> > devices. Because if MS decides you need to upgrade your OS
    >> > then don't support any hardware you may have purchased. In
    >> > South africa this hardware is not cheap.

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    Hello,
    I am long time using MS Strategic Commander. And I love it!
    But I tried install it to my new notebook Acer Aspire 1812WSmi with P4
    3,2GHz and when I installed it ,
    so my WinXP Home CZ (Czech Edition) SP2 Show
    message: „criticall error – some files were replaced! Please insert original
    Windows CD“…

    I have driver version 4.0 – is newer ?

    I know that many many people using Strategic Commander ….
    I think, new recompile of old drivers can help.
    I need no new functions, only functionality with new system….

    Please update driver!

    Execuse please my simple English.

    Thanks a lot !!

    Michal Polak
    Czech Republic

    "Joshua Smith [MSFT]" wrote:

    > I'd be interested in knowing where you saw that this device isn't supported
    > in Windows XP. This device wasn't specifically made for Windows XP, but in
    > the test lab it has always functioned just fine. Can you give me some idea
    > of the hardware you have in your system? At very least the USB chipset you
    > are connecting to. Also what steps are you taking to install the device? Did
    > you install the accompanying software? If you discover that you have a USB
    > controller that uses a VIA chipset you most likely need to update your USB
    > drivers. Let me know I'd be glad to help.
    >
    > Joshua Smith
    > DirectInput and OpenGL Test Labs
    > Microsoft
    > -----

    > <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Microsoft tell me that this device does not work under
    > > windows xp, the support on this device is supposed to be
    > > till 2006. MS does not have software for windows xp for
    > > it.I will in the future not ever buy any microsoft gaming
    > > devices. Because if MS decides you need to upgrade your OS
    > > then don't support any hardware you may have purchased. In
    > > South africa this hardware is not cheap.

Microsoft Video Games