2 brands of RAM, same timings, different results!

Hi,

I really didn't know that this was possible! OK here's the scenario.

I have Corsair Value Select PC2700 and regular Twinmos PC3200.

For fairness, both running at 200MHz fsb one at a time in the same machine, timings 6, 3, 3, 2.5.

After running the Sandra memory benchmark, the results are shocking! The twinmos out performs the Corsair value by at least 20%.

How is that? Is it like for example on my Radeon 8500 it has 3.6ns RAM chips on them, but some OEM radeon 8500s have 4ns RAM and mine out performs the OEMs. Would that be a fair comparison?

Can someone shed light on this please?

Many thanks.

-----------------------------------
The bigger I am, the harder they fall.
5 answers Last reply
More about brands timings results
  1. It's possible for your BIOS to tamper with timings and not tell you, it's true!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
  2. You may need to increase the voltage on the 2700 to get it to perform better at 3200

These specs are here so I don't have to repeat them. P4 2.4c @ 3.0 ASUS P4P800 dx Geil pc4000 2.5,3,3,6 250FSB 1:1 Radeon 9500 non-pro 2 Maxtor 60gig 7200rpm 8mb cach in raid 0 SB Audigy 2
  3. I thought that if there wasn't enough voltage, the machine would just BSOD anyway.

Unfortunately this particular mobo doesn't allow me to modify the voltage to the RAM.

4. When I first got my PC4000 ram I got poor results at 2.65 volts. It ran though. I upped the voltage and the performance got better. Thats why I suggested it.

These specs are here so I don't have to repeat them. P4 2.4c @ 3.0 ASUS P4P800 dx Geil pc4000 2.5,3,3,6 250FSB 1:1 Radeon 9500 non-pro 2 Maxtor 60gig 7200rpm 8mb cach in raid 0 SB Audigy 2
  5. I see what u mean.

But I put the 2 different sticks of RAM in the machine one at a time without changing any voltage settings (coz I can't anyway).

Does the RAM stick tell the mobo how much ram it needs, like a CPU does?

Ask a new question

Read More

Memory RAM Corsair