Please help! Is CRT Technology Going Backwards?

mimi_p

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2004
I am writing (begging) for assistance in finding a high-quality large flat CRT monitor, after having spent countless hours on the Internet, the telephone, and in stores. Here are the specs: size 20-22”, 1600 x 1200 with refresh rate approaching 100 hz (I am intolerant of flicker), dot pitch below .2 (I look at text all day). No, these specs are not a joke although, sadly, they may be a fantasy. I have looked at the best LCD’s, but ruled them out because the text on them is too fuzzy. The closest I’ve found so far is the Viewsonic G220f, but its dot pitch is .24 and its refresh rate at 16x12 is only 85. And I saw a Philips and an NEC with similar specs. In case this is relevant, my graphics card is a Radeon 9800 Pro. Any information that any of you might offer would be appreciated. And anyone who can help me find what I’m looking (or anything close enough) for would have my eternal gratitude.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Your problem is that 20-22" monitors don't NEED as fine a dot pitch to get the same resolution. Companies know that. You might find some 1920x1440 resolution 20's with .20mm dot pitch, but those would be professional graphics monitors for photo editing. Even graphics workstation monitors generally intended for CADD generally have poor dot pitch specifications.

So start shopping at the high end. You might check Samsung to see how large their .19mm dot pitch monitors get.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

mimi_p

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2004
Thanks, Crashman! I ordered a 21" Samsung CRT (the 1100DF) this afternoon. Its dot pitch is .20, which is close enough, and it does 1600 x 1200 at 95 Hz. Can't wait to try it out.

RichPLS

Champion
Samsung makes good CRT's...

<font color=red><pre>_____________________________________
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you know what you're doing you can force higher resolutions than that! I had a 17" Samung and forced it to 1920x1440, and the image was still crisp and clean! Should be even more room on the 21"

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

mimi_p

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2004
Thanks, RichPLS. Some years ago, in the mid 1990's, I had a 21" monitor--I'm pretty sure it was a Samsung--that just would not property adjust. The manufacturer's (Samsung's?) tech support told me it was a known problem that had to do with something about the magnetism of the earth in my location (!?!). I later had a 17" Samsung that was really nice, so I have high hopes for this 1100DF.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I think I might have made a custom driver in PowerStrip (a video overclocking program with added features like driver making).