Need some feedback on new laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jrez

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2007
I just have a question about a processor. I am looking at a laptop with a GeForce Go 7900 GS and 2048MB of RAM ( 2 gig sticks). Now, I am either going to go with the Core2 Duo T7200 or the T7400. I am just curious as to if the T7400 is an upgrade that is really worth the extra money. Also, I will be using this laptop for gaming along with regular everyday computer usage such as browsing and ms office applications.

Thanks.

I had a hard time finding benchmarking that either included both the T74 and T72 or games. Tom's reviewed both, but for some reason didn't include game tests. Any game tests I find are between the T76 and T74. From the synthetic benchmarking I have seen the T74 outperforms the T72 by a fair margin. If you are playing games I think you would benefit from the T74.

That notebook you are looking at wouldn't happen to be a Dell E1705 or a Gateway NX680, would it?

Jrez

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2007
Thanks for the link. And to lost, I actually was looking at the Gateway NX860, any reason you were asking or just curiosity?

Jrez

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2007
Does anyone happen to know how much size and weight will be added by upgrading to the 12 cell battery from the 8. Just curious because I will have this computer in a college environment and will have to lug this already heavy 17in laptop around from time to time. Basically what I need to know is if I am going to highly regret getting a 17in laptop instead of a 15.4in one when I get to college or will it just be a minor inconvenience to move around when compared to the great upgrade in gaming power.

seeratlas

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2007
I have the Gateway with 2 of the 12's.. its no big deal at all, get the 12, really makes a huge diff on battery life, between the two i have bout 7hrs bat life.

As for carrying it around, you'll need a good sized bag, its a pretty decent sized piece of machinery but depending on how big or little you are, you'll either find it no big deal, or noticeable. I got a case with wheels that doubles as a backpack and everything else from Taurus. I carry mine all around the country, np. The wheels REALLy make a difference if you're fully loaded with gear or books.

As I've posted elsewhere, tho, I have 2 of the Everex XT5000T's from officemax, and unless you're into serious gaming, for 699.00 its impossible to beat that bang for buck, or even get close. You'll need another battery to swap in tho, but that will get you about 4 1/2 hours. For a Wow, or LOtr machine, BF2 etc. even up to OBLIVION on medium/high settings, the Everex does just fine with its 7600 Go as opposed to the Gateway's 7900GS, and the Everex has 2 hd bays...and a better looking screen, no kidding...freaks you out what a great deal the Everex is. I ended up buying two of em, and still spent far less than i did on the one gateway..and I got a helluva deal on the Gateway...so....pick your poison:)

had no trouble at all with the gateway which is very sturdy, but since i received it, i've spent all my time on the everex.

seer

Status
Not open for further replies.