Partition my Laptop.. size?

drake123

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Hi, I used my laptop for 1 year so far. By default, it is a regular boring installed well you get the point... I want to partition it. I just bought a 1 TB WD Ext. HDD yesterday. I want to partition my laptop.

Laptop: Dell XPS L502x
HDD: 581 GB ("640 gb")

Goal for Partition:
Scenario 1 - 1. OS
2. Program Files
3. Data (docs, music, etc. everyday stuff)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Scenario 2 - 1. OS
2. Program Files + Data

Questions:

1. What should the size of the OS partition be?
2. Which scenario should I go with? (3 partitions or 2)

OR

3. Is it possible to separate my data as is w/o reinstallation of everything? Like...from current one gigantic partition into three separate ones (scenario 1). If so how?

Thanks!

cl-scott

Honorable
There is really very little point to doing this with Windows. There is a small argument to be made for separating your documents from programs and OS, but by and large you'd be better served with a backup regimen.

You cannot separate your program files from the OS with Windows. You reinstall Windows, plan on having to reinstall your programs as well.

There's no performance benefit to be had, no security benefit, all you really end up doing is adding needless levels of complexity. If you want to partition the drive for the sake of partitioning, go right ahead, just do so with the understanding it will not benefit you in any worthwhile way.

drake123

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011

Lol, ok.

drake123

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011

Yea, I know. I did think of that option. How much space do you think my Ubuntu partition should be?
Scenario 3: 1. Windows 7 Home
2. Ubuntu 12

I'm trying to self-learn programming right now before I start college in September... so I think I'll be using Ubuntu mainly for programming related purposes only.