alc101ma

Distinguished
May 22, 2001
I am running Win2K Professional with all the service packs installed. I keep on loosing my internet connection via cable modem. It will be working fine... but then viola, for no reason it stops working. The modem is fine, and the NIC appears to see the modem physically(green lights on). Sometimes I have to go into the connection settings for IE and redo them, even though they are already set the right way. But this last time the only way I found to fix it was to completely uninstall the D-Link NIC and then reboot and let Win2K find new hardware, and reinstall the drivers from the floppy. I wake up this morning and guess what, it's not working again! I'm on a lab pc right now. Anyone have any clue what is goin on? Faulty NIC? It's pretty much brand new. Something bad about my IBM Deskstar HDD? I've heard about them corrupting data.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
this pc is connected directly to the cable modem? when "it doesnt work" what actually happens ? "page n/a" or "dns lookup error" or what?
Do you have a dynamic ip? if so, check your ip when it "doesnt work", could be a prob with your cables dhcp server not issuing an ip. if you DO get an ip, try and ping a known host and see if you get a reply.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

alc101ma

Distinguished
May 22, 2001
It's working again. This problem is odd. Since it comes and goes it almost makes me want to think it's AT&T that screwin up. Yea I have the pc hooked up to the modem. I have a router ready but I wanna get this problem settled before I put that in. I'm no pro, but I do have a decent amount of experience with networking Windows as well as Unix based machines. I'll try to supply more details if(when) this happens again.

BunnyStroker

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
I have a similar problem.

I am running Win2K Pro with all service packs, have a cable modem with @home service connected to a linksys 4-port router. Randomly, the connection will just die.

Mysteriously, one solution that almost always works is to physically unplug the router, then plug it in.

This has been giving my roommates and I serious headaches. Anyone have an idea?

<b>ßunn¥§troker 0wn§ j00!</b>

alc101ma

Distinguished
May 22, 2001
I've used the Linksys router and this problem still occured. Sometimes unplugging the router worked but sometimes it didn't. For instance this morning this pc(using WinME) couldn't get on the net. I didn't unplug the Linksys. I just tried a few hours later and it worked. How completely fustrating is that?!

G

do you have the latest firmware upgrade for the router. i was having some troubles with mine and flashed the ROM and now everything is sweet!

ignore everything i say