Sign in with
Your question

My computer won't art up and start up error repair won't load any files?

Last response: in Windows 7
July 23, 2012 8:14:46 PM

Hello, so yesterday i was watching a show on my computer (sony vaio) and it kept freezing and lagging and wouldn't restart so i manually restarted it. when i tried to turn it on it would say "starting up windows" but it would take to long and it would restart again with error repair. when i would load error repair it would say it's loading files but only a background screen would show and no files. This morning i woke up and it reumed windows and logged me in, and it's working fine, but kinda slow. i'm scared to turn off my computer and face the same problem as before, what should i do?
a b $ Windows 7
July 23, 2012 9:33:26 PM

ola555 said:
Hello, so yesterday i was watching a show on my computer (sony vaio) and it kept freezing and lagging and wouldn't restart so i manually restarted it. when i tried to turn it on it would say "starting up windows" but it would take to long and it would restart again with error repair. when i would load error repair it would say it's loading files but only a background screen would show and no files. This morning i woke up and it reumed windows and logged me in, and it's working fine, but kinda slow. i'm scared to turn off my computer and face the same problem as before, what should i do?

Run you AV Scans for Viruses. Don't accept a clean scan as proof you are not infected. Run some other malware scanners, like Malwarebytes.

Rescue CD's perform a much more thorough scanning. Download one, burn the CD or USB version, and boot from it. Recommend Kapersky or AVG, but all the security suites have one.
a b $ Windows 7
July 23, 2012 10:03:32 PM

ignore ksiemb

BACKUP YOUR DATA

TEST YOUR HARDWARE

you will probably find your hdd is faulty (use hdtune to see the smart status, look for pending sectors etc or do a full surface scan)

this is your golden window to retrieve your data, dont waste it scanning your files to have your hdd fail totally.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
July 23, 2012 11:37:07 PM

check your hdd with the drive maker tool as soon as you can
a b $ Windows 7
July 23, 2012 11:44:07 PM

Backup your data first of all, test your hard drive by downloading the diagnostic software from the manufacturer of your hard drive web site. If the hard drive tests OK then try another power supply.
July 24, 2012 3:48:00 AM

apache_lives said:
ignore ksiemb

BACKUP YOUR DATA

TEST YOUR HARDWARE

you will probably find your hdd is faulty (use hdtune to see the smart status, look for pending sectors etc or do a full surface scan)

this is your golden window to retrieve your data, dont waste it scanning your files to have your hdd fail totally.

Thanks for replying, but i'm completly new to computer and have no idea what a hdd is or where to start, to check if my hardware is the problem? i didn't install anything new, or bump my laptop into anything so what might be the cause? Sorry to bother everyone by not knowing anything.

sincerely, ola
a b $ Windows 7
July 25, 2012 1:14:25 AM

we all start at the same level and learn
a b $ Windows 7
July 25, 2012 12:41:50 PM

ola555 said:
Thanks for replying, but i'm completly new to computer and have no idea what a hdd is or where to start, to check if my hardware is the problem? i didn't install anything new, or bump my laptop into anything so what might be the cause? Sorry to bother everyone by not knowing anything.

sincerely, ola

Everyone seems to think it is a problem with the HDD (Hard Disk Drive), and it may very well be. Try running chkdsk to check for HDD errors as mentioned here.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/window...

Your computer Manufacturer's site may also have diagnostic software for the hard drive. Also, You can also download a utility like SPECCY to see the drive specifics, and search for diagnostics for the drive. You were told by some know it all to ignore ksiemb. Do so if you wish, but if you find no errors, run your scans
!