MP3 on MMC card + video player + bluetooth

July 24, 2004 2:20:36 AM

I'm considering upgrading my Palm III to a Zire 72, since i need a half
decent digital camera and a portable video player would be nice, but;

1) I have a MP3 player for my ericsson phone, it uses MMC cards and stores
the data on a FAT filesystem. Will the Zire be able to play that? Or does
it have to be convertet to .pdb files? Can it play MP3 files in the
background, while doing other things?

2) Video player, i have looked at Kinoma player and another one (forgot the
name), but they both seems to use their own video format. Are there a
player avaiable that plays MPEG1/2/4? Or at least one where theres a
conversion tool avaiable for Linux?
My goal would be a script on my computer that records The Simpsons every
night, converts them to a suitable format and hotsync it to the palm.

3) Bluetooth. Sending/recieving SMS from a mobile phone, does it work well?
I hate writing on my phone and using grafitti on a palm would make my
girlfriend very happy (me sending her more messages). And using bluetooth
as an alternative to WIFI, is it stable? Does both bluetooth units have to
be in the same room?

--
Lasse Jensen [fafler at linuxmail dot org]
Anonymous

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 22:20:36 +0200, Lasse Jensen <fafler@linuxmail.org> spewed
forth these words of wisdom:

>I'm considering upgrading my Palm III to a Zire 72, since i need a half
>decent digital camera and a portable video player would be nice, but;
>
>1) I have a MP3 player for my ericsson phone, it uses MMC cards and stores
>the data on a FAT filesystem. Will the Zire be able to play that? Or does
>it have to be convertet to .pdb files? Can it play MP3 files in the
>background, while doing other things?

Yeas, but they have to be in the AUDIO folder.

Galley
Anonymous
July 25, 2004 3:37:35 AM

What Ericsson phone uses MMC cards? I thought that all Sony-Ericsson phones
use the Sony Memory Stick.

"Lasse Jensen" <fafler@linuxmail.org> wrote in message
> I'm considering upgrading my Palm III to a Zire 72, since i need a half
> decent digital camera and a portable video player would be nice, but;
>
> 1) I have a MP3 player for my ericsson phone, it uses MMC cards and stores
> the data on a FAT filesystem. Will the Zire be able to play that? Or does
> it have to be convertet to .pdb files? Can it play MP3 files in the
> background, while doing other things?
>
> 2) Video player, i have looked at Kinoma player and another one (forgot
the
> name), but they both seems to use their own video format. Are there a
> player avaiable that plays MPEG1/2/4? Or at least one where theres a
> conversion tool avaiable for Linux?
> My goal would be a script on my computer that records The Simpsons every
> night, converts them to a suitable format and hotsync it to the palm.
>
> 3) Bluetooth. Sending/recieving SMS from a mobile phone, does it work
well?
> I hate writing on my phone and using grafitti on a palm would make my
> girlfriend very happy (me sending her more messages). And using bluetooth
> as an alternative to WIFI, is it stable? Does both bluetooth units have to
> be in the same room?
>
> --
> Lasse Jensen [fafler at linuxmail dot org]
July 25, 2004 1:13:28 PM

Harry Eugene Ly wrote:

> What Ericsson phone uses MMC cards? I thought that all Sony-Ericsson
> phones use the Sony Memory Stick.

Well, it's a MP3 player that plugs into the phone.
http://www.mobiles.co.uk/e28_mp3.html
It's from before Ericsson and Sony joined forces.

--
Lasse Jensen [fafler at linuxmail dot org]
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 4:23:16 PM

> 1) I have a MP3 player for my ericsson phone, it uses MMC cards and stores
> the data on a FAT filesystem. Will the Zire be able to play that? Or does
> it have to be convertet to .pdb files? Can it play MP3 files in the
> background, while doing other things?

Yes. PTunes will do this just fine with MP3 files on an external
MMC/SD card in the background while you work on other apps.
With Litewav you can even make your alarm sounds music.

> 2) Video player, i have looked at Kinoma player and another one (forgot the
> name), but they both seems to use their own video format. Are there a
> player avaiable that plays MPEG1/2/4? Or at least one where theres a
> conversion tool avaiable for Linux?
> My goal would be a script on my computer that records The Simpsons every
> night, converts them to a suitable format and hotsync it to the palm.

Convert using Xvid codec & VirtualDub (both free) to AS @ L3 320x240
15fps, 20 or 24kbps @22khz, turbo settings and you can play them just
fine using MMPLAYER on your Zire. Works great, gets about 50MB per 45
minute TV show, and very watchable. You can convert full movies as well.

The faster Palms can handle even faster video and so forth, but
you'll have to test and see what works for yours.

Key here is to get at least a 512MB card if you're trying to drop in
multiple eps. + MP3 + programs + etc.
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 4:24:06 PM

> Yeas, but they have to be in the AUDIO folder.

PTUnes will play MP3 files located in any folder on the MMC/SD card,
even the root directory. Tested and it works.
!