Robert Moog, R.I.P.

Last response: in Home Audio
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 22, 2005 10:32:30 AM

I'm sorry to report the passing of audio engineer Robert Moog, of
synthesizer fame.

http://www.caringbridge.com/cb/inputSiteName.do?method=...

I had the privilege of hearing Bob Moog speak at Washington University in
the early 1970s. He received a long and detailed introduction, after which
he got up on the podium and began with, "Wow -- I haven't had an
introduction that long since my bar mitzvah." He then talked and shared
stories in an easy, informal manner, as though we were in his living room. A
gentle and sweet man, and we are all richer for his having been here.

Peace,
Paul

More about : robert moog

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 22, 2005 10:32:31 AM

"Paul Stamler" <pstamlerhell@pobox.com> wrote in message
> I'm sorry to report the passing of audio engineer Robert Moog, of
> synthesizer fame.
>
> http://www.caringbridge.com/cb/inputSiteName.do?method=...
>
> I had the privilege of hearing Bob Moog speak at Washington University in
> the early 1970s. He received a long and detailed introduction, after which
> he got up on the podium and began with, "Wow -- I haven't had an
> introduction that long since my bar mitzvah." He then talked and shared
> stories in an easy, informal manner, as though we were in his living room.
> gentle and sweet man, and we are all richer for his having been here.
>
> Peace,
> Paul

Very sad indeed. His inventions and what other musicians did with them
significantly changed my life.

--
John L Rice
Drummer@ImJohn.com

"Paul Stamler" <pstamlerhell@pobox.com> schreef in bericht
> I'm sorry to report the passing of audio engineer Robert Moog, of
> synthesizer fame.
>
> http://www.caringbridge.com/cb/inputSiteName.do?method=...

Sad news... He made history with the Moog's and will always be remembered
and missed.

Henk
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 22, 2005 1:59:07 PM

In article <2keOe.651167$cg1.71322@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net> pstamlerhell@pobox.com writes:

> I'm sorry to report the passing of audio engineer Robert Moog, of
> synthesizer fame.

> I had the privilege of hearing Bob Moog speak at Washington University in
> the early 1970s. He received a long and detailed introduction, after which
> he got up on the podium and began with, "Wow -- I haven't had an
> introduction that long since my bar mitzvah." He then talked and shared
> stories in an easy, informal manner, as though we were in his living room.

I only heard him speak formally once, at a showing of the Theremin
film at the Smithsonian. He was just like Paul described. I've chatted
with him several times at trade shows, and he's always been friendly
and knowledgable. He'd talk as technical as you want but was always
good for a story. Clearly someone you'd always feel comfortable
calling "Bob" and never "Mr. Moog."

a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 22, 2005 8:38:02 PM

At an evening class packed full by enthusiasts, he gave a useful lecture on
musical synthesisers during a Studio-Quality Audio Engineering course at the
North London Poly in late '60s.
He knew his stuff. Bob was a unique pioneer. Nobody else knew anything
worthwhile about that topic at the time. [He even signed my Walter (then)
Carlos Switched-On Bach sleeve for me.]

One pronunciation question... is it "moge" (rhymes with vogue) or is it
"moog"?
Jim

"Paul Stamler" <pstamlerhell@pobox.com> wrote in message
> I'm sorry to report the passing of audio engineer Robert Moog, of
> synthesizer fame.
>
> http://www.caringbridge.com/cb/inputSiteName.do?method=...
>
> I had the privilege of hearing Bob Moog speak at Washington University in
> the early 1970s. He received a long and detailed introduction, after which
> he got up on the podium and began with, "Wow -- I haven't had an
> introduction that long since my bar mitzvah." He then talked and shared
> stories in an easy, informal manner, as though we were in his living room.
> gentle and sweet man, and we are all richer for his having been here.
>
> Peace,
> Paul

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 22, 2005 8:38:03 PM

Jim Gregory wrote:

> One pronunciation question... is it "moge" (rhymes with vogue) or is it
> "moog"?

It rhymes with "vogue".

James Meckley
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 22, 2005 8:48:31 PM

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 06:32:30 GMT, "Paul Stamler"
<pstamlerhell@pobox.com> wrote:

>I'm sorry to report the passing of audio engineer Robert Moog, of
>synthesizer fame.
>
>http://www.caringbridge.com/cb/inputSiteName.do?method=...
>
>I had the privilege of hearing Bob Moog speak at Washington University in
>the early 1970s. He received a long and detailed introduction, after which
>he got up on the podium and began with, "Wow -- I haven't had an
>introduction that long since my bar mitzvah." He then talked and shared
>stories in an easy, informal manner, as though we were in his living room. A
>gentle and sweet man, and we are all richer for his having been here.

As well as having played on some of his creations, I recall his
column in Keyboard Magazine in the early '80's (ISTR the mag was
called Contemporary Keyboard back then), with much good info on how to
get various sounds from a synth.
I heard an interview on "Fresh Air" around the end of February 2000
in which he was really into making Theremins (which is what he started
out making circa 50 years earlier) - it seems half the interview Bob
talked about it and its inventor, Leon Theremin, who was apparently a
big influence on his life.

>Peace,
>Paul

-----
http://www.mindspring.com/~benbradley
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 22, 2005 9:55:13 PM

"Jim Gregory" <jim.greg@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> One pronunciation question... is it "moge" (rhymes with vogue) or is it
> "moog"?
> Jim

As in vogue. I've often wondered if the Moog Rogue wasn't so named to try to
get people to pronounce it correctly since the overwhelming majority of
people say it the other way.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 22, 2005 10:03:32 PM

In article <5koOe.273219$_o.39809@attbi_s71> rhunt22@hotmail.com writes:

> As in vogue. I've often wondered if the Moog Rogue wasn't so named to try to
> get people to pronounce it correctly since the overwhelming majority of
> people say it the other way.

On the other hand, Moogerfooger doesn't have the same connotative ring
as pronounced like two sounds, the sound that a cow makes when content
and a person makes when not content.

a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 22, 2005 11:44:55 PM

James Meckley wrote: It rhymes with "vogue".

Really I have never heard anybody pronounce it like that, I have only heard
him referenced with the same double o as in school. These things happen so
you may be right, it just completely new to me. Another one is the rather
ancient actor Deborah Kerr whose surname rhymes is pronounced car. How in
the world are we supposed to know.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 22, 2005 11:44:56 PM

"HKC" <henrikkrogh@mail.dk> wrote in message
> James Meckley wrote: It rhymes with "vogue".
>
> Really I have never heard anybody pronounce it like that, I have only
heard
> him referenced with the same double o as in school. These things happen so
> you may be right, it just completely new to me. Another one is the rather
> ancient actor Deborah Kerr whose surname rhymes is pronounced car. How in
> the world are we supposed to know.

Nonetheless, it rhymes with "vogue". His sister Florence Moog taught at the
university where I went for a couple of years, in the department where I
worked. She's fairly well known in biology circles. She also rhymes with
"vogue".

Peace,
Paul
August 22, 2005 11:44:57 PM

In article <5joOe.654086$cg1.512870@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
pstamlerhell@pobox.com says...
> "HKC" <henrikkrogh@mail.dk> wrote in message
> > James Meckley wrote: It rhymes with "vogue".
> >
> > Really I have never heard anybody pronounce it like that, I have only
> heard
> > him referenced with the same double o as in school. These things happen so
> > you may be right, it just completely new to me. Another one is the rather
> > ancient actor Deborah Kerr whose surname rhymes is pronounced car. How in
> > the world are we supposed to know.
>
> Nonetheless, it rhymes with "vogue". His sister Florence Moog taught at the
> university where I went for a couple of years, in the department where I
> worked. She's fairly well known in biology circles. She also rhymes with
> "vogue".

Yes, it's the "rhymes with vogue" pronunciation. They even stated it
on an advertisement once, I believe it was about the time the Polymoog
came out.
--
---Mikhael...
Anonymous

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 13:22:56 -0500, Mick wrote:

> In article <5joOe.654086$cg1.512870@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
> pstamlerhell@pobox.com says...
>> "HKC" <henrikkrogh@mail.dk> wrote in message
<snip>
>> Nonetheless, it rhymes with "vogue". His sister Florence Moog taught at the
>> university where I went for a couple of years, in the department where I
>> worked. She's fairly well known in biology circles. She also rhymes with
>> "vogue".
>
> Yes, it's the "rhymes with vogue" pronunciation. They even stated it
> on an advertisement once, I believe it was about the time the Polymoog
> came out.

I thought it was the moog rogue advert? The synth named so people would
stop getting his name wrong.

Very sad day. I have enjoyed playing his instruments very much.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 22, 2005 11:44:59 PM

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 18:44:00 GMT, philicorda
<philicorda@localhost.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 13:22:56 -0500, Mick wrote:
>
>> In article <5joOe.654086$cg1.512870@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
>> pstamlerhell@pobox.com says...
>>> "HKC" <henrikkrogh@mail.dk> wrote in message
><snip>
>>> Nonetheless, it rhymes with "vogue". His sister Florence Moog taught at the
>>> university where I went for a couple of years, in the department where I
>>> worked. She's fairly well known in biology circles. She also rhymes with
>>> "vogue".
>>
>> Yes, it's the "rhymes with vogue" pronunciation. They even stated it
>> on an advertisement once, I believe it was about the time the Polymoog
>> came out.
>
>I thought it was the moog rogue advert? The synth named so people would
>stop getting his name wrong.

As if one needed any more verification of pronunciation, here's a
paragraph from the CNN obituary:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/08/22/moog.obit.ap/index.h...

"As a Ph.D. student in engineering physics at Cornell University, Moog
-- rhymes with vogue -- in 1964 developed his first voltage-controlled
synthesizer modules with composer Herbert Deutsch. By the end of that
year, R.A. Moog Co. marketed the first commercial modular
synthesizer."

>Very sad day. I have enjoyed playing his instruments very much.

-----
http://www.mindspring.com/~benbradley
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 22, 2005 11:48:16 PM

Ben Bradley wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 06:32:30 GMT, "Paul Stamler"
> <pstamlerhell@pobox.com> wrote:
>
> >I'm sorry to report the passing of audio engineer Robert Moog, of
> >synthesizer fame.
> >
> >http://www.caringbridge.com/cb/inputSiteName.do?method=...
> >
> >I had the privilege of hearing Bob Moog speak at Washington University in
> >the early 1970s. He received a long and detailed introduction, after which
> >he got up on the podium and began with, "Wow -- I haven't had an
> >introduction that long since my bar mitzvah." He then talked and shared
> >stories in an easy, informal manner, as though we were in his living room. A
> >gentle and sweet man, and we are all richer for his having been here.
>
> As well as having played on some of his creations, I recall his
> column in Keyboard Magazine in the early '80's (ISTR the mag was
> called Contemporary Keyboard back then), with much good info on how to
> get various sounds from a synth.
> I heard an interview on "Fresh Air" around the end of February 2000
> in which he was really into making Theremins (which is what he started
> out making circa 50 years earlier) - it seems half the interview Bob
> talked about it and its inventor, Leon Theremin, who was apparently a
> big influence on his life.
>
>\> http://www.mindspring.com/~benbradley

There is quite a bit of Dr. Moog in "Theremin, an Electronic Odyssey"
... worth a rental if you haven't seen it.
Wasn't there a Bio=Pic of Dr.Moog in the works?

I've also read that his father was a close friend of Raymond Scott's,
another big influence on Moog.

I bought my Micromoog when i was 14, with money earned working at a
fast food place. Still have it, Still love it, many thanks to the great
design.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 23, 2005 1:23:48 AM

With sadness I saw the message of mr. Moog having passed away.
With joy and respect I will remember him and his influence on popmusic in
general and synthesizer music in peticular.
And nobody will forget the statement he and his instruments made when
"Switched on Bach" was released.

To Philicorda:
Considering your mail-name it appears that you finally have chosen for the
real instruments: His....

Take care,
Richard
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 23, 2005 1:23:49 AM

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 21:23:48 +0200, "Vintage" <geenmail@dusniet.nl>
wrote:

>With sadness I saw the message of mr. Moog having passed away.
>With joy and respect I will remember him and his influence on popmusic in
>general and synthesizer music in peticular.
>And nobody will forget the statement he and his instruments made when
>"Switched on Bach" was released.

I had to look, and sure enough ... scroll down to the bottom of:

http://wendycarlos.com/

-----
http://www.mindspring.com/~benbradley
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 23, 2005 1:38:10 AM

James and Ben are right.
Henrik, by respect for the original word/phrase extending and enhancing
one's vocabulary. BBC reports that I heard today used 50% Mogue
and 50% Moog (even one voiced blurb leading to a recorded report), and they
claim
to have a Pronunciation department. Its spelling contents of "oo" as in
'school' ironically, most probably
influenced the corruption.

As I suspect it is probably a word of Dutch or Flemish origin, then "Mogue"
sounds
authentic and right, but nowadays many audio folk, musicians, etc are used
to hearing and saying
"Moog", as with two Os, albeit wrongly, since that is how it was passed on
erratically in cascade - as if
the majority never queried it or reinstated it.
Obviously some purists did try and maintained their manner.
If only "Moog Rogue", said properly, had caught on universally.

"HKC" <henrikkrogh@mail.dk> wrote in message
> James Meckley wrote: It rhymes with "vogue".
>
> Really I have never heard anybody pronounce it like that, I have only
> heard him referenced with the same double o as in school. These things
> happen so you may be right, it just completely new to me. Another one is
> the rather ancient actor Deborah Kerr whose surname rhymes is pronounced
> car. How in the world are we supposed to know.

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 23, 2005 1:56:47 AM

>> James Meckley wrote: It rhymes with "vogue".
>>
>> Really I have never heard anybody pronounce it like that, I have only
>> heard him referenced with the same double o as in school. These things
>> happen so you may be right, it just completely new to me. Another one is
>> the rather ancient actor Deborah Kerr whose surname rhymes is pronounced
>> car. How in the world are we supposed to know.

Worchestershire Sauce
Macinack Island
Hyacinth Bucket
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 23, 2005 2:10:25 AM

Worcestershire and Gloucestershire and Leicestershire -- a tiny portion of
the irregular side of the English language!
Mackinak, Michigan, I just learned is said as Mackinaw.
Hyacinth tweaked her husband's Bucket to Bouquet to sound POSH.
Knowledge is a part of the learning curve.
But I was talking about foreign words absorbed in the UK getting unkindly
abused and dyed in the wool before they are even a day old.

"SSJVCmag" <ten@nozirev.gamnocssj.com> wrote in message

>>> James Meckley wrote: It rhymes with "vogue".
>>>
>>> Really I have never heard anybody pronounce it like that, I have only
>>> heard him referenced with the same double o as in school. These things
>>> happen so you may be right, it just completely new to me. Another one is
>>> the rather ancient actor Deborah Kerr whose surname rhymes is pronounced
>>> car. How in the world are we supposed to know.
>

> Worchestershire Sauce
> Macinack Island
> Hyacinth Bucket

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 23, 2005 3:52:33 AM

On 8/22/05 6:10 PM, in article l3sOe.17$8D.7@newsfe6-win.ntli.net, "Jim
Gregory" <jim.greg@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Worcestershire and Gloucestershire and Leicestershire --

Ow... Thanks for the spelling lesson.. I was pompous enough to not even
THINK of looking that one up whilst I -did- confirm the other 2!
Ten points from Gryffindor.

> ...a tiny portion of
> the irregular side of the English language!
> Mackinak, Michigan, I just learned is said as Mackinaw.
> Hyacinth tweaked her husband's Bucket to Bouquet to sound POSH.
> Knowledge is a part of the learning curve.
> But I was talking about foreign words absorbed in the UK getting unkindly
> abused and dyed in the wool before they are even a day old.
>
> "SSJVCmag" <ten@nozirev.gamnocssj.com> wrote in message
>>

>> Worchestershire Sauce
>> Macinack Island
>> Hyacinth Bucket

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 23, 2005 4:37:27 AM

> POSH.

Having a cabin on the southern (sunny) side of the ship during both the
eastward (to New York) and westward (back to Liverpool) passages across the
Atlantic. Port Out, Starboard Home.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 23, 2005 6:48:55 AM

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 21:38:10 GMT, "Jim Gregory"
<jim.greg@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>James and Ben are right.
>Henrik, by respect for the original word/phrase extending and enhancing
>one's vocabulary. BBC reports that I heard today used 50% Mogue
>and 50% Moog (even one voiced blurb leading to a recorded report), and they
>claim
>to have a Pronunciation department. Its spelling contents of "oo" as in
>'school' ironically, most probably
>influenced the corruption.
>
>As I suspect it is probably a word of Dutch or Flemish origin, then "Mogue"
>sounds
>authentic and right, but nowadays many audio folk, musicians, etc are used
>to hearing and saying
>"Moog", as with two Os, albeit wrongly, since that is how it was passed on
>erratically in cascade - as if
>the majority never queried it or reinstated it.
>Obviously some purists did try and maintained their manner.
>If only "Moog Rogue", said properly, had caught on universally.

And as others in the thread remarked, there are many words, as well
as other proper names, whose spelling alone misleads one's
pronuncuation. A music-synthesizer-related (ot just music related) one
is timbre, pronounced "tamber."
And as I recently heard, in Florida (where some French guy
supposedly found the Fountain of Youth) and throughout most of the US,
they say something like "PONCE de leON", but in Atlanta where we have
a street named after him, the street is always pronounced "PONCE de
LEon [as in LEAN on] Avenue." I grew up with that one, folks...
Then there's this obligatory one, found all over the Internet and
Usenet, that is pronounced as a commmon (and totally innocent!)
four-letter word:

ghoti

To save you from googling, here's the "I Feel Lucky" link:
http://alt-usage-english.org/excerpts/fxwhat04.html

More Bob Moog trivia: I recall a conversation my first year in
college (1976) when the topic of Moog (the synthesizer) came up, and
the other guy told me that 1) it's pronounced "Mogue" [like vogue] and
that (the reason he knew this was) Bob Moog had appeared on the TV
game show "What's My Line?"

>"HKC" <henrikkrogh@mail.dk> wrote in message
>> James Meckley wrote: It rhymes with "vogue".
>>
>> Really I have never heard anybody pronounce it like that, I have only
>> heard him referenced with the same double o as in school. These things
>> happen so you may be right, it just completely new to me. Another one is
>> the rather ancient actor Deborah Kerr whose surname rhymes is pronounced
>> car. How in the world are we supposed to know.

-----
http://www.mindspring.com/~benbradley
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 23, 2005 2:44:23 PM

-----------8<----------------------

> And as others in the thread remarked, there are many words, as well
>as other proper names, whose spelling alone misleads one's
>pronuncuation. A music-synthesizer-related (ot just music related) one
>is timbre, pronounced "tamber."
> And as I recently heard, in Florida (where some French guy
>supposedly found the Fountain of Youth) and throughout most of the US,
>they say something like "PONCE de leON", but in Atlanta where we have
>a street named after him, the street is always pronounced "PONCE de
>LEon [as in LEAN on] Avenue." I grew up with that one, folks...

Arkansas, anyone? -- I've heard they all were in Arkansaw.

> Then there's this obligatory one, found all over the Internet and
>Usenet, that is pronounced as a commmon (and totally innocent!)
>four-letter word:
>
>ghoti
Gosh.

> To save you from googling, here's the "I Feel Lucky" link:
>http://alt-usage-english.org/excerpts/fxwhat04.html

Edi Zubovic, Crikvenica, Croatia
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 23, 2005 4:31:37 PM

"Ben Bradley" <ben_nospam_bradley@frontiernet.net> wrote in message

> As if one needed any more verification of pronunciation, here's a
> paragraph from the CNN obituary:
> http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/08/22/moog.obit.ap/index.h...

Moog Rogue certainly steered us in the right direction re pronunciation.
But then is weas muddied again by Bob himself.

Shouldn't MoogerFooger been MoogerFoger ?

geoff

PS early 70s was when I started building synths on a hobby basis, largely
thanks to the inspiration of Bob and the 'then' Walter. I just never got
around to FINISHING many of them (still in my garage...)
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 23, 2005 4:41:50 PM

> James and Ben are right.
> Henrik, by respect for the original word/phrase extending and enhancing
> one's vocabulary. BBC reports that I heard today used 50% Mogue
> and 50% Moog (even one voiced blurb leading to a recorded report), and
> they
> claim
> to have a Pronunciation department. Its spelling contents of "oo" as in
> 'school' ironically, most probably
> influenced the corruption.

BBC must have ditched their pronunciation school. Witness the spread of the
horrible northern 'short a'.

It's not "i-rack", it "eee-rark".

geoff
August 23, 2005 5:43:09 PM

SSJVCmag <ten@nozirev.gamnocssj.com> writes:

>Worchestershire Sauce
>Macinack Island
>Hyacinth Bucket

Actually it's Mackinac. And while in Michigan, don't forget to
try pronouncing Gratiot and Sault St. Marie
August 23, 2005 5:59:10 PM

That's Doctor Moog, not Mister.
August 23, 2005 6:43:42 PM

>>Worchestershire Sauce
>>Macinack Island
>>Hyacinth Bucket
>
> Actually it's Mackinac. And while in Michigan, don't forget to
> try pronouncing Gratiot and Sault St. Marie

Just had dinner in Charlotte, MI. Angry stares if you pronounce it the
obvious way.

-John O
who wonders about the diff between Des Moines and Des Plaines.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 23, 2005 6:43:43 PM

Re: Robert Moog, R.I.P.

Group: rec.audio.pro Date: Tue, Aug 23, 2005, 2:43pm (EDT+4) From:
johno@@&%heathkit##.com (JohnO)

who wonders about the diff between Des Moines and Des Plaines.<<<<<<<<<<

Iowa & Illinois

Eric
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 23, 2005 7:57:46 PM

"Geoff Wood" <geoff@nospam-paf.co.nz> wrote in message

> It's not "i-rack", it "eee-rark".

Actually "khee-rahk", with the "kh" softer and farther in the throat than it
would be in Russian, German or Yiddish. It's almost an "h", but not quite.

Peace,
Paul
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 23, 2005 9:15:41 PM

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 15:57:46 GMT, Paul Stamler wrote:

> "Geoff Wood" <geoff@nospam-paf.co.nz> wrote in message
>>
>> It's not "i-rack", it "eee-rark".
>
> Actually "khee-rahk", with the "kh" softer and farther in the throat than it
> would be in Russian, German or Yiddish. It's almost an "h", but not quite.
>
> Peace,
> Paul

Not even close. The first I is very short - like in the word "it". And the
final a is not lengthened into an aaaah sound. The last syllable would be
"okh". Again the "o" here is short - English style - not lengthened into an
"ah" sound american style. Lastly the k is softened into a "kh" sound.

a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 23, 2005 10:02:40 PM

In article <430a70d7$1@clear.net.nz> geoff@nospam-paf.co.nz writes:

> Shouldn't MoogerFooger been MoogerFoger ?

Thats' a pun, sun.

a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 23, 2005 10:02:41 PM

In article <1124765296.679576.108280@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> voxman@arvotek.net writes:

> I've also read that his father was a close friend of Raymond Scott's,
> another big influence on Moog.

According to the obit in today's Washington Post

http://tinyurl.com/cppa2

Scott attached a keyboard to a Theremin that Moog built, and that's
what gave him (Bob) the idea to build a keyboard synthesizer.

a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 23, 2005 10:02:42 PM

In article <yCGOe.960$eQ.926@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com> johno@@&%heathkit##.com writes:

> Just had dinner in Charlotte, MI. Angry stares if you pronounce it the
> obvious way.

It would seem that the town of Bumpass, VA would be pronounced
"BUMP-us" just out of politeness, but they proudly say "Bump-ASS."

a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 24, 2005 1:39:57 AM

"JohnO" <johno@@&%heathkit##.com> wrote in news:yCGOe.960$eQ.926
@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com:

> Just had dinner in Charlotte, MI. Angry stares if you pronounce it the
> obvious way.

How does one pronounce it to avoid stares?
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 24, 2005 2:12:53 AM

"Carey Carlan" <gulfjoe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "JohnO" <johno@@&%heathkit##.com> wrote in news:yCGOe.960$eQ.926
> @newssvr30.news.prodigy.com:
>
>> Just had dinner in Charlotte, MI. Angry stares if you pronounce it the
>> obvious way.
>
> How does one pronounce it to avoid stares?

Pronounce it the correct way so it rhymes with 'rogue' to get stares from
people who don't know how to pronounce it but think they do and vice versa.

--
John L Rice
Drummer@ImJohn.com

"Don Pearce" <donald@pearce.uk.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 15:57:46 GMT, Paul Stamler wrote:
>
>> "Geoff Wood" <geoff@nospam-paf.co.nz> wrote in message
>>>
>>> It's not "i-rack", it "eee-rark".
>>
>> Actually "khee-rahk", with the "kh" softer and farther in the throat than
>> it
>> would be in Russian, German or Yiddish. It's almost an "h", but not
>> quite.
>>
>> Peace,
>> Paul
>
> Not even close. The first I is very short - like in the word "it". And the
> final a is not lengthened into an aaaah sound. The last syllable would be
> "okh". Again the "o" here is short - English style - not lengthened into
> an
> "ah" sound american style. Lastly the k is softened into a "kh" sound.

When I was living there it was more of an 'ee', but yes, a short one as in a
gutteral sounding 'egg'

geoff
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 24, 2005 1:37:04 PM

Carey

Always thought POSH applied to richer officers travelling from Blighty docks
to Indian docks and back, often with family, over several weeks. I suppose
it is feasible it was coined first on the shorter Atlantic runs.
Didn't you somehow transpose your Eastward and Westward adjectives?

> "Jim Gregory" <jim.greg@ntlworld.com> wrote in
>
>> POSH.
>
> Having a cabin on the southern (sunny) side of the ship during both the
> eastward (to New York) and westward (back to Liverpool) passages across
> the
> Atlantic. Port Out, Starboard Home.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 24, 2005 2:43:26 PM

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 09:37:04 GMT, Jim Gregory wrote:

> Carey
>
> Always thought POSH applied to richer officers travelling from Blighty docks
> to Indian docks and back, often with family, over several weeks. I suppose
> it is feasible it was coined first on the shorter Atlantic runs.
> Didn't you somehow transpose your Eastward and Westward adjectives?

The etymology of the word appears to predate that era. The best I can find
is that it is a slang term for rich, deriving from the Romany word posh,
which means half. A bit obsucre, but the term entered English through a
half pence piece, from where it came to be used for a lot of money, and
then anybody rich in general.

a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 24, 2005 4:09:06 PM

> Didn't you somehow transpose your Eastward and Westward
> adjectives?
>
>>> POSH.
>>
>> Having a cabin on the southern (sunny) side of the ship during both
>> the eastward (to New York) and westward (back to Liverpool) passages
>> across the
>> Atlantic. Port Out, Starboard Home.

I did. Scuse me.
August 24, 2005 5:22:14 PM

Carey Carlan <gulfjoe@hotmail.com> writes:

>"JohnO" <johno@@&%heathkit##.com> wrote in news:yCGOe.960$eQ.926
>@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com:

>> Just had dinner in Charlotte, MI. Angry stares if you pronounce it the
>> obvious way.

>How does one pronounce it to avoid stares?

shar-LOTT
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 24, 2005 6:37:35 PM

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 13:22:14 +0000 (UTC), georgeh wrote:

> Carey Carlan <gulfjoe@hotmail.com> writes:
>
>>"JohnO" <johno@@&%heathkit##.com> wrote in news:yCGOe.960$eQ.926
>>@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com:
>
>>> Just had dinner in Charlotte, MI. Angry stares if you pronounce it the
>>> obvious way.
>
>>How does one pronounce it to avoid stares?
>
> shar-LOTT

But that IS the obvious way.

a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 24, 2005 6:37:36 PM

> On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 13:22:14 +0000 (UTC), georgeh wrote:
>
>> Carey Carlan <gulfjoe@hotmail.com> writes:
>>
>>>"JohnO" <johno@@&%heathkit##.com> wrote in news:yCGOe.960$eQ.926
>>>@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com:

>>>How does one pronounce it to avoid stares?
>>
>> shar-LOTT
>
> But that IS the obvious way.

Here (southern US) we say SHAR-let.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 24, 2005 7:53:46 PM

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 14:29:06 GMT, Ricky Hunt wrote:

> "Don Pearce" <donald@pearce.uk.com> wrote in message

>>> shar-LOTT
>>
>> But that IS the obvious way.
>
> Here (southern US) we say SHAR-let.

This is strange - you guys have the closest connection to the French of
anybody in the States, yet your pronunciation is the furthest away.

a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 24, 2005 7:58:53 PM

Where and when did the 'Arkansaw' trend get started if it is always spelt
Arkansas?
In comparison you never hear the other state said as 'Kansaw'!

"Edi Zubovic" <edi.zubovic[rem this]@ri.t-com.hr> wrote in message
> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 02:48:55 GMT, Ben Bradley
> <ben_nospam_bradley@frontiernet.net> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 21:38:10 GMT, "Jim Gregory"
> -----------8<----------------------
>>
>> And as others in the thread remarked, there are many words, as well
>>as other proper names, whose spelling alone misleads one's
>>pronuncuation. A music-synthesizer-related (ot just music related) one
>>is timbre, pronounced "tamber."
>> And as I recently heard, in Florida (where some French guy
>>supposedly found the Fountain of Youth) and throughout most of the US,
>>they say something like "PONCE de leON", but in Atlanta where we have
>>a street named after him, the street is always pronounced "PONCE de
>>LEon [as in LEAN on] Avenue." I grew up with that one, folks...
>
> Arkansas, anyone? -- I've heard they all were in Arkansaw.
>
>> Then there's this obligatory one, found all over the Internet and
>>Usenet, that is pronounced as a commmon (and totally innocent!)
>>four-letter word:
>>
>>ghoti
> Gosh.
>
>> To save you from googling, here's the "I Feel Lucky" link:
>>http://alt-usage-english.org/excerpts/fxwhat04.html
>>

> Edi Zubovic, Crikvenica, Croatia

August 24, 2005 8:17:19 PM

>>> But that IS the obvious way.
>>
>> Here (southern US) we say SHAR-let.
>
> This is strange - you guys have the closest connection to the French of
> anybody in the States, yet your pronunciation is the furthest away.

The midwest was largely explored and settled by the French first, and the
pronounciations run the gamut of American language butchery. <g>

-John O
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 25, 2005 12:10:09 PM

Yeah Bob Moog was the coolest guy, he will be missed.

I had to opportunities to "meet him", once on the phone and once in
person.

The first time, I called Big Briar to order one of their Theremin kits
(at the time they only sold kits, not the full units), I had a question
about the circuit board.

The phone gets answered "Big Briar, Bob Moog speaking"....to which I
replied, "gulp, uhhhhh, you mean THE BOB MOOG", to which he replied
"yeah, it's me, that Bob Moog".

I tried not to gush too much, as I explained that I certainly didn't
expect to get him on the phone, to which he replied "well everybody
else has left for the day so I'm still here...what can I help you
with?"

15 - 20 minutes later we were still talking, about all kinds of stuff
(e.g. I had used a Modular Moog in college, he told me they were
working on the Moogerfoogers, etc.)

I finally excused myself because I felt bad about taking up so much of
his time...I got the impression he would have just kept talking to me.

The second time, I met him in person at the Smithsonian "Piano 300"
panel discussion.

He arrived early and soon had a crowd of people (well 10 - 12) around
him and was regaling them with various tales....one about Rick Wakeman
buying a boatload of Minimoogs because he wanted to have "presets" and
they didn't have programmable synths in that era.

He looked like a physicist (pocket protector, the pants, etc.), but had
a real way with words, not a pretentious bone in that man's body.

So sad to see him go, and I didn't realize he was only 71.....

Analogeezer
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 25, 2005 12:38:43 PM

"Don Pearce" <donald@pearce.uk.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 13:22:14 +0000 (UTC), georgeh wrote:
>
>> Carey Carlan <gulfjoe@hotmail.com> writes:
>>
>>>"JohnO" <johno@@&%heathkit##.com> wrote in news:yCGOe.960$eQ.926
>>>@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com:

>>>How does one pronounce it to avoid stares?
>>
>> shar-LOTT
>
> But that IS the obvious way.

More SHAAR-LIT where I come from.

geoff