Sign in with
Your question

Windows has seemed to have fried itself after a system restore

Last response: in Windows 7
July 23, 2012 11:06:29 PM

I recently system restored after a really bad rootkit infested my comp. Once I restored, I am joyed to see that the second I came onto my desktop, The only thing I could see was my wallpaper. My taskbar, my shortcuts, everything was gone. After fumbling around for 20 minutes I managed to open a new folder on my desktop, my hard drive is working fine and at the previous state I restored to. Then I tried to install chrome and some other applications. Applications will not start. I try Ctrl Alt Delete, Black screen. I'm trying to avoid reinstalling my OS, but if I have to I will. Anything that isin't a folder will not run. How could I get this working? Please help

More about : windows fried system restore

a b $ Windows 7
July 23, 2012 11:31:03 PM

did you try the windows repair with the disc it could fix some missing files
m
l
July 23, 2012 11:38:41 PM

I got the rig with windows 7 preinstalled from someone. So I do not have the disc to repair. I went to system repair once in the start up, but I have no clue what to do
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
July 23, 2012 11:41:41 PM

you should have at least a copy of it unles this is a pirated sofware so we cannot help you with that (forum rules)
m
l
July 23, 2012 11:57:08 PM

Didn't pirate the windows 7 software, I was given the computer with windows 7 preinstalled with it. If I asked I might be able to get the disc back
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 24, 2012 12:11:47 AM

Hi :) 

Whatever made you think that a system restore would cure a rootkit plus other viruses infected machine ???

Sometimes even a format wont...

You ONLY choice now is to FORMAT and reinstall a LEGAL version of windows...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 25, 2012 1:12:53 AM

when you get the cd boot from him and it will ask install or repair so it up to you to try repair or made another full install
m
l
!