How much RAM needed for Delorme Handheld?

July 23, 2004 8:50:28 PM

I have a Tungsten E which came with 32 MB of RAM.
I intend to purchase Delorme Handheld mapping software.
No GPS involved here, I just want to download a map
of my area, and perhaps a map of the destination.
I called Delorme, and they could not tell me how
much RAM I would need. Is 10 or 15 MB enough to
install say a map of the greater Philadelphia
and NJ shore area? An entire state perhaps?
I know it's probably difficult to quantify.

-Thanks
Anonymous
July 24, 2004 8:09:46 PM

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 16:50:28 -0400, nospam <no@spam.com> wrote:

>I have a Tungsten E which came with 32 MB of RAM.
>I intend to purchase Delorme Handheld mapping software.
>No GPS involved here, I just want to download a map
>of my area, and perhaps a map of the destination.
>I called Delorme, and they could not tell me how
>much RAM I would need. Is 10 or 15 MB enough to
>install say a map of the greater Philadelphia
>and NJ shore area? An entire state perhaps?
>I know it's probably difficult to quantify.
>
>-Thanks

The map size depends on the quality and size of the selected area.
Delorme uses "boxes" you select for what you want to be able to view.
I can't recommend Delorme for the simple reason I found the software
way too slow to use, especially when routing. I used their 30 day
money back offer and sent it back. I can't recommend anything else
either. I do miss MS Streets and Trips which was excellent back in
the days of owning a PPC. Wish they'd release a version of it for the
palm. :(

A lot of people seem to like Mapopolis and TomTom. Have you checked
those out?
!