Sign in with
Your question

Activate windows 7 RC??

Tags:
  • Windows 7
  • Electronic
Last response: in Windows 7
March 4, 2010 4:32:45 PM

A very good friend of mine works at an electronics store, and he had a customer cancel an order on a machine they had built, So he has given me a fresh un used genuine activation key for 7. Im running eval copy 7068.

Im sure you can buy the product key online but I have no Idea how you update/activate/upgrade.

More about : activate windows

March 4, 2010 4:51:45 PM

windows anytime upgrade its in the control panel
m
l
March 4, 2010 5:04:49 PM

Ok, Dumb question but where about in CP, I cant seem to find it
m
l
Related resources
a c 209 $ Windows 7
March 4, 2010 7:08:44 PM

You can't use that key with the RC version (well, perhaps you can but it would be stupid to do so). The RC version is in the process of expiring, and a valid key will not keep it from shutting down every hour and then in a couple of months refuse to work at all.

What you need to do is to get an official release version, do a clean install of it, and use your key with it. Your friend should be able to supply you with a copy (the disc isn't the big issue, the value is in the key).
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 4, 2010 7:13:14 PM

You can't activate the Release Candidate. You'll need a disc with the correct version of the OS on it. Then you'll be able to use your key.
m
l
March 5, 2010 12:36:29 PM

OK cheers guys, looks like it may be back to xp for a while, I cant be doing with this random shutting down!

Thanks again
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 5, 2010 12:47:19 PM

If I may...

What's the difference between doing a wipe and clean install to XP and doing a wipe and clean install of Win 7? I mean - Just a matter of what media you boot to, right? So why not get/borrow a real copy of 7 instead of going 'back'? Either way, you have a key.
m
l
March 5, 2010 1:04:28 PM

I wont be able to get my hands ona copy of 7 for a few days, but I cant be doing with my PC shutting down on me when gaming etc.
m
l
!