pci vs. firewire soundcard

Any thoughts on speed/latency issues between a pci soundcard and a firewire soundcard? I worry that a firewire card will be slower in sending and recieving audio and effects processing. I have heard that firewire cards can process data at a rate of 200-400 Mbps, but I have no basis of comparison for a pci device. I plan on using a lot of effects, so low latency would be a priority. Any thoughts?
4 answers Last reply
More about firewire soundcard
  1. The SoundBlaster Extigy which uses a USB connection seems to work fine for people so I would expect a FireWire solution to be the same or better. Is there a specific product you have in mind, maybe you can find some customer reviews online.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    P4 2.4C @ 3.0GHz 1.525V Stock HSF
    Abit IS7 BIOS v1.3 GAT Auto
    Corsair XMS 512MB TwinX3200C2 2-3-3-6
    GeForce4 Ti4200 AGP8X 128MB
    Seagate Barracuda 80GB SATA
  2. Firewire would have a bit more latency because the Firewire controller is a PCI device, then you have the sound controller as another device down the chain.

As for bandwidth, 400mbps is 50MB/s, PCI is 133MB/s, but even 50MB/s is far more than you need.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
  3. Latency is an issue with firewire. The extra bandwidth can't make up for it. My suggestion is go with PCI all the way. You can get latency as low as 2-3ms, but with firewire you're looking at around 30+, maybe as high as 70ms or more, and that is more than enough to ruin a track.

umheint0's phat setup --> <A HREF="http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html" target="_new">http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html</A><--
  4. That is not true. i have a t.c. electronic desktop 6 with firewire and i have 4 ms latency with asio.
Ask a new question

Read More

Sound Cards PCI Firewire Components