Sign in with
Your question

pci vs. firewire soundcard

Last response: in Components
September 9, 2003 6:50:59 PM

Any thoughts on speed/latency issues between a pci soundcard and a firewire soundcard? I worry that a firewire card will be slower in sending and recieving audio and effects processing. I have heard that firewire cards can process data at a rate of 200-400 Mbps, but I have no basis of comparison for a pci device. I plan on using a lot of effects, so low latency would be a priority. Any thoughts?

More about : pci firewire soundcard

September 9, 2003 10:29:11 PM

The SoundBlaster Extigy which uses a USB connection seems to work fine for people so I would expect a FireWire solution to be the same or better. Is there a specific product you have in mind, maybe you can find some customer reviews online.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
P4 2.4C @ 3.0GHz 1.525V Stock HSF
Abit IS7 BIOS v1.3 GAT Auto
Corsair XMS 512MB TwinX3200C2 2-3-3-6
GeForce4 Ti4200 AGP8X 128MB
Seagate Barracuda 80GB SATA
September 9, 2003 10:55:54 PM

Firewire would have a bit more latency because the Firewire controller is a PCI device, then you have the sound controller as another device down the chain.

As for bandwidth, 400mbps is 50MB/s, PCI is 133MB/s, but even 50MB/s is far more than you need.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
Related resources
Anonymous
July 25, 2009 11:10:45 AM

That is not true. i have a t.c. electronic desktop 6 with firewire and i have 4 ms latency with asio.
!