Newbie?How do I know if my drives are partitioned?

BlueRain

Distinguished
May 13, 2001
I'm in the process of upgrading anmd was wondering how can i tell if my drives are partitioned .

The drives are in raid o.

Is there somewhere to look to see this info?
Thanks
Sorry,about the newbie question.

I'm going to change my drives (2larger drives)tonightand while reading the steps/instructions it brings up partions.

Deborah

" Soon My Friend , Soon...."

BlueRain

Distinguished
May 13, 2001
Thanks!

I checked in system tools and something i don't understand.

For my first drive ( C ) Size: 37 gigs and only 2.65 gigs for "Free space"

Now here's the thing. When i look at the second drive ( D) Size : 37 Gigs ,but it also shows 37 gigs for free space.

What's up with that? Being that they are raid 0 stripe, should'nt both drives show the same thing?

Why does the D drive have it's entire 37 gigs showing in the size and free space?

What am i missing?

I looked in the bios and it shows raid 0 and both drives are master and both set to auto

Thanks
Deborah

" Soon My Friend , Soon...."

stupid_tech_geek

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
I don't know the first thing about raid but if you are using xp you should be able to detect any partitions by going to start> control panel> administrative tools> disk management. Here you should see any info about both hdd's including what partitions may be set. I hope this helps.

A7n8x dlx G Bios Agressive settings
xp1700 Paly W 2x 256 Crucial 2700@ cl 2.5
Ge Force2/WD 60gig w 8mb Cache @ 7200

"There is no magic server pixie dust."

lunitic

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2003
RAID 0 combines the two drives to one big virtual disk.
This large virtual disk is then logically split into two drives (C: & D:) by partitioning. Both the same size, 37GB, but the C: drive is almost full and the D: drive is nearly empty.

Somewhat weard, combining two drives into one and then dividing them into two again. The only reason is that RAID 0 offers a better performance by alternatively reading (or writing) from those disks.

RAID 0 does also have some drawbacks:
- Higher chances of failure: when one disk fails, the whole array fails, all partitions fail.
- Less portability: in general you cannot take your drives to another computer and install them there.