How do I set up a SATA Drive?

alanp7134

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003
I purchased a 120GB Maxtor Serial-ATA 150 Drive Recently to work with an ABIT ATZ Max2 motherboard. When attempting to install Windows XP Pro, no drive is recognised. I believe a driver is required but, having contacted both Abit and Maxtor I am getting knowhere fast! Maxtor said I need to contact the motherboard manufacturer, so I did but they can't be bothered to reply to my e-mails and the motherboard CD doesn't include a serial ATA Driver even though the board supports Serial ATA. I would be eternally greatful if some kind soul can solve this one for me.

ecar016

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2002
I just set mine up...it looks a little diff than yours...I think to board you have has raid IDE. If im right you'll need to diable ide raid and make sure sata is enabled. plug in your drives and get into the bios to recognize it.... If you do have raid ide then I would forget about sata 150 and get ide drives with your raid. I got the intel 865perlk with raid on the sata150.

hope this helps
EC

<font color=red> Quantum Computers! - very interesting </font color=red>

alanp7134

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003
Thank you for your comments concerning IDE Raid and SATA. Yes, the motherboard does have the Highpoint IDE Raid facility but I didn't enable it or press F6 to load the raid driver during attempted setup of Windows XP.I have searched the BIOS setup in an attempt to include SATA in the boot order but there is no mention of it. It seems that I shall have to warn my customers that serial ATA and IDE is till an iffy subject and to steer clear of boards supporting IDE Raid. I am not surprised that ABIT (USA) didn't respond to my e-mail! Thanks again, it will be interseting to see whether there are any more posts on the subject.

ecar016

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2002
If your building systems for customers try the intel boards....I know, I know lots of people say too expensive and reduced speed for stability. But we are talking about raid and sata. The 865perlk has raid SATA. Setting up a couple of large drives was easy and well documented in the instructions. Perhaps you should try one before continuing to cheaper brands. That's just my thinking....now that i've done an easy one I'm sure i'll have more experience to try more elaborate setups.

EC

<font color=red> Quantum Computers! - very interesting </font color=red>