changing Raid controller

Smilie

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2003
Hello

i recently installed Sata RAID0
and been thinking
im using a ASUS P4P800 Deluxe motherboard and using its onboard INTEL ICH5R Sata RAID controller
but in the future if i want to change my motherboard is it possible to move my HDD to another RAID controller and keeping its content???
i have my RAID partitioned so in the future when i change my motherboard i just want to format my OS partition
and use the other partition as back-up

smitbret

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
I had this same question a few weeks ago. You can't move from one chipset to the other and expect it to work. For instance you can't move from a High Point to a Promise RAID controller. Even then, you need to be sure that the chipset version is the same, i.e. HP 374 to HP 374 will work fine, but 374 to 372 may not. High Point tech support assures me that if I have the same revision between the swap, then I should have no problem.
What you may want to do is opt for a PCI RAID controller, then when your system changes, you just take the card with you.
-Brett

Smilie

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2003
hmmmm
im already using this onboard controller
that means when i change my motherboard i have to either back-up everything i need to keep (gonna be hard now i have 240gig and only a 80GIG old HDD)
or i need to get a intel chipset mobo that uses the same RAID controller
i dont seem to be able to find a INTEL PCI RAID card available
does any1 know if INTEL gonna keep all future motherboards with a Sata raid controller as standard???