How's this pre?

Last response: in Home Audio
August 24, 2005 6:45:37 PM

http://www.hamptone.com/HJFP2.htm

I'm thinking about getting one of these and building it up...
How would you rate this pre? How will it sound like (similar to something on
the market)? Clean or coloured?
Is the tube one "better" (I know the sound will be different, I'm talking
about the design)?
Thanks
F.

More about : pre

Anonymous
August 24, 2005 6:45:38 PM

Talk to my good friend Dave Mosca at Hilltopstudios.com. He built &
loves his.
Here is his responce to my asking the same question.

" The Hamptone is very sweet. Tracked Ben's last
project through it. Voc's keys and guitar. Tracked Adam's guitars and
their
(Daily Pravda) vocals through it and most recently Emily Rollers latest
project. Everything just sounds more detailed and clearer is the best
way I
can describe it. According to Scott Hamptone, we've talked on the phone
twice, it's because he tries very hard in his design's to go for the
lowest
possible harmonic distortion resulting in increased detail and clarity.
Haven't been able to track any drums with it yet because it's plus 4
output
gets too hot for my Tascam's -10 input. Scott has been helping me "

Kevin Tracy
!