inexpicable, fatal computer problem -- HELP!

dogus1

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
I've recently been having some serious computer problems, which I'll describe in a moment -- I was told be a computer repair shop that my initial motherboard was shot, so I decided to buy the Asus A7N8X Deluxe. The problems continue!

Basically, the computer will get power -- fans will spin, lights will go on, the floppy drive, cd-rom and hard disk seem to powerup. Sometimes it sits there just like that, and nothing happens -- no pc speaker bleeps out of Post, nothing comes up on the monitor, no hard drive activity ...the computer doesn nothing, gives no errors, doesn't go into BIOS ...it just sits there, with power and with fans spinning, and it does so until I unplug the machine!

SOMETIMES though, it does something -- anything! It varies. It normally just sits there, but sometimes it manages to get somewhere along the way into the boot up process ...It'll freeze at the very first screen, the GeForce screen -- or I'll get that single "all is well" Pc speaker bleep -- I'll get to the Asus screen, or into the XP loading sequence .. BUT It usually it just crashes along the way -- it simply restarts, usually not (but somtimes!) freezing up. Sometimes it even makes it way all the way into XP, working fine until the computer restarts without any warning or error message at all.

Things seem utterly wrong -- the only real "sign" of the computer acknowledging this fact is when the I do get all the way into POST, the Asus board reads my CPU as an Athlon 1500+, when it is actually a 2100+ ...and it says new CPU detected? It freezes there sometime, not allowing the computer to go on ... is this a CPU problem?

I'm really, really lost, and I just put a lot of money into this situation! Can you help me?

As stated, I'm running an Athlon 2100+ XP, on Windows XP, A7N8X Deluxe, with 512 mb of Pc3200 corsair ram. I've got a Geforce Ti4200, though I supsect that has nothing to do with it -- sure, sometimes I get nothing on the monitor, but that's because the pc is not doing anything, I think. And my AGP slot light is not on... which is a good thing.

THINGS WORKED FUN UNTIL OUT OF NOWHERE, which is so perplexing. Then this happened! There was a short out of my Power supply a while back, but I replaced it and figured all was well, and my computer worked fine up until recently -- could some short out from then be finally rearing it's ugly head? If so, why these problems? It seems if any component was failing, except the mobo (which is new), the computer would still at least go into bios, or read some kind of error in post (no hard drive, cpu not correct, no dram, etc...).

Any ideas? This is getting far to expensive to just buy hardware on a hunch - I still supsect my CPU.

PLEASE HELP

Joe Jovanovich

Matthias

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2003
Hey Joe,

I'd take it into your local PC store and have it looked at fully. My brother's computer did a similar thing - just sat there, fans spinning, but nothing else. It turned out that all that was needed was a simple clearing of the CMOS, and things were fine from there.

On his computer there is a jumper setting to clear the CMOS, so we changed the jumper setting to the setting that clears the CMOS, turned on the computer - nothing happened of course, then changed back to the original setting, and it's worked fine ever since.

If that doesn't help, then there are thousands of possibilities. Try starting up without the RAM, without the hard drive, without the floppy, without the video card, etc, and see how you go.

Good luck!

For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord.