Shouldn't File Sharing Work Both Ways?

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I am new to networking and have encountered a problem after
setting up my network. I have the following equipment: (1)
A Microsoft Wireless Base Station (MN-700) and (2)A
Microsoft Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter (MN-710). The base
station is connected to a Pentium 4 2.4ghz computer (A)
running Windows XP home. The Wireless adapter is connected
to a Pentium 3 650 (B) running Windows 98 SE. Now the
problem. I can access all the files on the hard drive of
Computer B by Computer A But when I try to access the files
on the computer connected to the base station by the
Pentium 3 machine I get the message that access is denied.
I can see the folders but cannot access anything. File
sharing is enabled on both computers. I have a broadband
internet connection (DSL) and is working perfectly on both
computers. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions
as to what might be the problem? Any help would be greatly
appreciated.......Thanks

Make sure they're both part of the same Workgroup.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP

"Jerry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am new to networking and have encountered a problem after
> setting up my network. I have the following equipment: (1)
> A Microsoft Wireless Base Station (MN-700) and (2)A
> Microsoft Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter (MN-710). The base
> station is connected to a Pentium 4 2.4ghz computer (A)
> running Windows XP home. The Wireless adapter is connected
> to a Pentium 3 650 (B) running Windows 98 SE. Now the
> problem. I can access all the files on the hard drive of
> Computer B by Computer A But when I try to access the files
> on the computer connected to the base station by the
> Pentium 3 machine I get the message that access is denied.
> I can see the folders but cannot access anything. File
> sharing is enabled on both computers. I have a broadband
> internet connection (DSL) and is working perfectly on both
> computers. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions
> as to what might be the problem? Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.......Thanks

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

Dear Jerry,

Well, we've had experience with this at work and at home.
Win98 doesn't communicate that well with WinXP peer-to-
peer. This is true whether wired or wireless. At work
what our Support people have done is run an intranet
through a Win2000 server to remaining Win98 machines that
are then accessible to the WinXP-Pros.

At home I have a notebook with Win98, which shares its
drive to wirelees LAN. A desktop running WinXP can read
it. But the notebook can't read from the WinXP.

In the event, you can get share between them..."don't ask
me why, it's all right."

Jerry, go back to your XP computer and right click on the drives or folders
you want to share and make sure they are setup for sharing. If they are, UN
share them and click OK, then go back and set up the particular folders or
drives you want to share and then set the share up again.
I've found that, when setting up the network at first and accepting the
share files and folders at that point, doesn't always get that fold shared
properly. I've gone back and removed them from share and set the share up
myself, and they have worked.
Carol

Jerry wrote:
> I am new to networking and have encountered a problem after
> setting up my network. I have the following equipment: (1)
> A Microsoft Wireless Base Station (MN-700) and (2)A
> Microsoft Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter (MN-710). The base
> station is connected to a Pentium 4 2.4ghz computer (A)
> running Windows XP home. The Wireless adapter is connected
> to a Pentium 3 650 (B) running Windows 98 SE. Now the
> problem. I can access all the files on the hard drive of
> Computer B by Computer A But when I try to access the files
> on the computer connected to the base station by the
> Pentium 3 machine I get the message that access is denied.
> I can see the folders but cannot access anything. File
> sharing is enabled on both computers. I have a broadband
> internet connection (DSL) and is working perfectly on both
> computers. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions
> as to what might be the problem? Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.......Thanks

Try some of the information at:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/columns/winograd/default.asp

--
Brian Sullivan
Meeting by Wire ( http://www.meetingbywire.com)

They are probably using two different NetBIOS Browse
Master Lists. Are you running a firewall on one of the
PCs? Disable it or open ports to let NetBIOS Master
Browser announcements go through.

Otherwise, open the command prompt and run ipconfig
Release and then renew all connections on both computers.