How do you connect these PA speakers for a full range sound?

Last response: in Home Audio
a b α HP
August 24, 2005 4:29:18 PM

Just got the following system - Soundcraft Spirit Powerstation 1200
powered mixer and Peavey HP 400 sound reinforcement speakers.

The speakers have four sockets at the back, one pair saying 'Normal'
above the sockets and 'Full Range' below. The second pair of sockets
says 'Bi amp' above and 'Hi' and 'Lo' below. I'm using Speakon
connections at the powered mixer outputs, and TRS jacks to plug into
each speaker - just one for each output.

I thought all I had to do was to plug each output into one of the Full
Range sockets of each speaker to get the full response of the Peavey
speakers, but all I'm getting is the 15" speakers - no horn. Trying the
other Full Range socket makes no difference, still no horn. I can get a
middy sound using the Hi socket of the Bi amp connections but still no
horn sounding.

Is this only to be used with a crossover, or are there settings
internally, or are my horn units blown? If anyone's got any advice or
info I'd appreciate it. And if there are any related web links to
setting up PA systems that'd be great too :-)

Dave
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 24, 2005 5:02:21 PM

Thanks for the comments so far...

I haven't been able to locate any manuals or guides for the speakers,
but will take a screwdriver out and see what I can see internally -
certainly no switches on the outside.

Dave
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 24, 2005 5:36:22 PM

Ok. had a little peek inside. No switches that I can see, just wires
and plugs. Looks clean enough inside, speakers look identical for both
enclosures, so either not been replaced or matching ones used.

On the exterior of the connection panel there is a graphic of a line
joining the two sockets in the Full Range section - is this
significant?

Dave
a b α HP
August 24, 2005 7:54:22 PM

In article <1124911758.722150.298810@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Wotcha <kirbister@gmail.com> wrote:

>The speakers have four sockets at the back, one pair saying 'Normal'
>above the sockets and 'Full Range' below. The second pair of sockets
>says 'Bi amp' above and 'Hi' and 'Lo' below. I'm using Speakon
>connections at the powered mixer outputs, and TRS jacks to plug into
>each speaker - just one for each output.

So, where is the switch that moves the speakers from biamp mode to
full range mode? Is it on the back or is it inside? You need to
set the speakers to full range.
--scott

a b α HP
August 24, 2005 9:40:43 PM

"Wotcha" <kirbister@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Ok. had a little peek inside. No switches that I can see, just wires
> and plugs. Looks clean enough inside, speakers look identical for both
> enclosures, so either not been replaced or matching ones used.
>
> On the exterior of the connection panel there is a graphic of a line
> joining the two sockets in the Full Range section - is this
> significant?
>
> Dave

use an ohmmeter to check continuity through the switched contacts built into
the biamp-input jacks
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 24, 2005 11:38:38 PM

Your horn may really be blown...
You should try to open up the speaker and check it out yourself. If the horn
has been replaced there can be som interconnection problems inside the
speaker. The thing is that you still have to open it up... (Is it is out of
warranty of course).
F.

"Wotcha" <kirbister@gmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> Just got the following system - Soundcraft Spirit Powerstation 1200
> powered mixer and Peavey HP 400 sound reinforcement speakers.
>
> The speakers have four sockets at the back, one pair saying 'Normal'
> above the sockets and 'Full Range' below. The second pair of sockets
> says 'Bi amp' above and 'Hi' and 'Lo' below. I'm using Speakon
> connections at the powered mixer outputs, and TRS jacks to plug into
> each speaker - just one for each output.
>
> I thought all I had to do was to plug each output into one of the Full
> Range sockets of each speaker to get the full response of the Peavey
> speakers, but all I'm getting is the 15" speakers - no horn. Trying the
> other Full Range socket makes no difference, still no horn. I can get a
> middy sound using the Hi socket of the Bi amp connections but still no
> horn sounding.
>
> Is this only to be used with a crossover, or are there settings
> internally, or are my horn units blown? If anyone's got any advice or
> info I'd appreciate it. And if there are any related web links to
> setting up PA systems that'd be great too :-)
>
> Dave

Anonymous
a b α HP
August 25, 2005 1:53:33 AM

"Wotcha" <kirbister@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Just got the following system - Soundcraft Spirit
> Powerstation 1200 powered mixer and Peavey HP 400 sound
> reinforcement speakers.
>
> The speakers have four sockets at the back, one pair
> saying 'Normal' above the sockets and 'Full Range' below.
> The second pair of sockets says 'Bi amp' above and 'Hi'
> and 'Lo' below. I'm using Speakon connections at the
> powered mixer outputs, and TRS jacks to plug into each
> speaker - just one for each output.

1/4 inch recepticles on speakers are usually designed to
receive TS, not TRS plugs. I cna see how this might make a
difference.
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 25, 2005 3:18:41 AM

Wotcha wrote:

> Ok. had a little peek inside. No switches that I can see, just wires
> and plugs. Looks clean enough inside, speakers look identical for both
> enclosures, so either not been replaced or matching ones used.

No pcb with crossover components ? If there isn't a crossover then the cab
won't work full range.

> On the exterior of the connection panel there is a graphic of a line
> joining the two sockets in the Full Range section - is this
> significant?

It means they're linked. i.e. either can be used as the input or a link to
another cab.

Graham
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 25, 2005 4:13:27 AM

Thanks again for the comments

Sorry, when I said just plugs and wires there's actually a plastic
shielded cover which must contain stuff underneath, and several large
transformer thingies are also mounted on it..

The speaker leads were supplied by the chap I bought it off, so I'm
assuming they're correct. I've emailed him of course, but no reply yet.

I might try and do some comparison tests with other amps and speakers I
could borrow.

Dave
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 25, 2005 10:31:42 AM

Wotcha wrote:

> Ok. had a little peek inside. No switches that I can see, just wires
> and plugs. Looks clean enough inside, speakers look identical for both
> enclosures, so either not been replaced or matching ones used.
>
> On the exterior of the connection panel there is a graphic of a line
> joining the two sockets in the Full Range section - is this
> significant?

If you've got inside why not just follow the wires and see what they're
connected to ?

Graham
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 25, 2005 12:05:13 PM

The full range jacks send the audio to an internal crossover that then
splits the signal hi/low. Highs go to the horn and lows go to the 15
inch speakers. If you get sound from some but not all drivers using
this jack the problem is inside the speaker cabinet. Either wiring, the
crossover or a driver.

The Hi and Low jacks bypass the internal crossover. Hi is wired
directly into the horn and Low wired directly into the 15 inch drivers.
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 25, 2005 5:47:37 PM

Wotcha wrote:

> Thanks again for the comments
>
> Sorry, when I said just plugs and wires there's actually a plastic
> shielded cover which must contain stuff underneath, and several large
> transformer thingies are also mounted on it..

That'll be the crossover.

> The speaker leads were supplied by the chap I bought it off, so I'm
> assuming they're correct. I've emailed him of course, but no reply yet.

I meant inspect the internal wiring actually.

> I might try and do some comparison tests with other amps and speakers I
> could borrow.

No real need. There's a crossover in the cabinet. You need to establish if
it's wired correctly to the speakers and sockets next.

If you're not that technical you may need some assistance.

The speaker should work correctly in your application with the input to the
'full range' inputs btw. The 'bi-amp' inputs are for use when an active (
line level ) crossover is used with separate power amps for the lows and
highs.

Graham
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 25, 2005 10:04:00 PM

Wotcha wrote:

> The speakers have four sockets at the back, one pair saying 'Normal'
> above the sockets and 'Full Range' below. The second pair of sockets
> says 'Bi amp' above and 'Hi' and 'Lo' below. I'm using Speakon
> connections at the powered mixer outputs, and TRS jacks to plug into
> each speaker - just one for each output.
>
> I thought all I had to do was to plug each output into one of the Full
> Range sockets of each speaker to get the full response of the Peavey
> speakers, but all I'm getting is the 15" speakers - no horn.

You're connecting to the correct jacks. The two are in parallel so you
can daisy chain another speaker.

If you're using store-bought cables with Speakons on one end and TRS
(and not TS) plugs on the other, these may be for bi-amped speakers. If
they're really TS plugs, then I dunno.

If your powered mixer has binding posts or 1/4" jacks for outputs as
well as the Speakons, you might try a different cable going to the
speakers. That will eliminate any non-standard wiring that your Speakon
cable might have.
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 26, 2005 11:48:02 AM

tymish@hotmail.com wrote:

> The full range jacks send the audio to an internal crossover that then
> splits the signal hi/low. Highs go to the horn and lows go to the 15
> inch speakers. If you get sound from some but not all drivers using
> this jack the problem is inside the speaker cabinet. Either wiring, the
> crossover or a driver.
>
> The Hi and Low jacks bypass the internal crossover. Hi is wired
> directly into the horn and Low wired directly into the 15 inch drivers.

And *don't* connect a normal full-range signal to the Hi input since
there's a very good chance you'll damage the horn driver.

Graham
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 26, 2005 1:24:24 PM

Thanks again folks for the comments

I connected another pair of speakers and these worked fine, but they
were using the binding posts.

I got a reply from the chap who sold the speakers and he confirmed that
they should work the way I expected. I'm going to try and borrow some
speakers using the speakon connectors next.

I've been very careful with levels so I don't think I've done anything
silly :-)

A few more things to try so I'll let you know how I get on.

Dave
!