MIDI guitar

Last response: in Home Audio
August 25, 2005 12:15:04 AM

Anyone on here doing a MIDI guitar thing with a Roland GK-2 pickup or
similar?

I know of someone selling a GK-2 pickup for a good price and I'm
wondering what the cheapest way to convert GK-2 output to MIDI?

There are GM-70's on eBay but I don't think they work with the GK-2
pickup, only the GK-1. Please correct me if I'm wrong about that.

More about : midi guitar

Anonymous
August 25, 2005 3:31:21 AM

H wrote:
> Anyone on here doing a MIDI guitar thing with a Roland GK-2 pickup or
> similar?
>
> I know of someone selling a GK-2 pickup for a good price and I'm
> wondering what the cheapest way to convert GK-2 output to MIDI?
>
> There are GM-70's on eBay but I don't think they work with the GK-2
> pickup, only the GK-1. Please correct me if I'm wrong about that.

GM-70 needs the GK-1 or an older roland guitar (G-202/303/505 or 808)
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 12:44:48 PM

In article <cz4Pe.208137$HI.184994@edtnps84>,
H <mshoganREMOVE@dal.caREMOVE> wrote:

> There are GM-70's on eBay but I don't think they work with the GK-2
> pickup, only the GK-1. Please correct me if I'm wrong about that.

you're right about that. However, the GM-70 also works with any
Roland guitar controller designed to work with the GR-300 and GR-700
floor modules (G-303, G-505, G-808, G-707).

I have a GK-1/GM-70 setup in my studio, and for older technology it
works very well for inputting MIDI stuff in songs. In fact I tend to use
it with synth plug-ins, as I find that these have lower latency.

--
Dan Dreibelbis, Guitar Nerd - Better Living Through Home Recording
http://www.soundclick.com/dandreibelbismusic.htm

H wrote:
> Anyone on here doing a MIDI guitar thing with a Roland GK-2 pickup or
> similar?

I have a guitar with a GK-3 pickup, yes.

> I know of someone selling a GK-2 pickup for a good price and I'm
> wondering what the cheapest way to convert GK-2 output to MIDI?

Not the cheapest, but the best (judging from a lot of magazine reviews)
is the Axon converter [1] (now sold by Terratec). I've seen a demo of
this thing at this year's Musikmesse, it's amazing.

[1]
<http://audiode.terratec.net/modules.php?op=modload&name...;

Johann
--
\/\/|11 |=|2/-\6 |=()|2 |3/-\|\||)\/\/||)7|-|
Anonymous

In article <cz4Pe.208137$HI.184994@edtnps84>, mshoganREMOVE@dal.caREMOVE
says...
> Anyone on here doing a MIDI guitar thing with a Roland GK-2 pickup or
> similar?
>
> I know of someone selling a GK-2 pickup for a good price and I'm
> wondering what the cheapest way to convert GK-2 output to MIDI?
>
> There are GM-70's on eBay but I don't think they work with the GK-2
> pickup, only the GK-1. Please correct me if I'm wrong about that.

You might find a Roland GR-09 cheap. Not a great or flexible synth, but
works fine as a MIDI convertor for a GK-2.

Art Cohen
Alpenhof Studios
!